Advertisement

New Avengers #16 (Everything lives Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

New Avengers #16 (Everything lives Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:31 pm

Hot on the heels of last week’s rather confusing instalment, New Avengers is back for an issue that somewhat gets things back on track, but I’m not sure is as good for new readers as .NOW issues are supposed to be.

After a brief opening scene featuring Black Panther and Namor bickering, which is always entertaining, their role and antagonistic relationship in this book has always been the best thing about it, we’re back to examining an alternate universe, but this time, things are a bit different. This is because this isn’t another Universe that tried and failed to stop the Incursions… but one that succeeded in stopping them twice.

What makes this world even more interesting is that it’s clearly an analogue for the DC Universe. Ever since this book began, I’ve thought that Hickman was slyly poking at Crisis On Infinite Earths, and this brings all of that back. If the Marvel Universe has been able to repel Incursions, it only makes sense that the DC Universe could too. I was surprised that this Universe wasn’t just another take on the Squadron Supreme, the Green Lantern analogue is called Doctor Spectrum, but other than that, it’s all different. Superman is ‘Sun God’, Batman is ‘The Rider’, Flash is ‘Boundless’ (and a woman, so is Doctor Spectrum), Martian Manhunter is ‘The Jovian’ and Doctor Fate is ‘The Norn’. I wonder why Hickman didn’t decide to go to the normal Marvel Justice League homages, I guess it’s because he’s already using Hyperion.

This issue did pretty much follow the pattern of recent issues, we are given lots of exposition about the history of this world, and then see them deal with an Incursion. But there are bigger differences in this universe. Sun God delivers a speech that is similar to Reed Richards’ now well-known ‘Everything dies’, but instead, it’s ‘Everything lives’, which is a crucial difference I think. It’s the sort of thing Kurt Busiek did in JLA/Avengers, where the DCU was just that bit more optimistic than the Marvel Universe. Of course, with the New 52, that’s all changed, but Hickman is keeping that shininess a bit more. The Justice League, sorry Great Society, head out to stop the Incursion, where they run into the Mapmakers. Whilst the rest of the team deal with them, The Norn uses his magic to somehow stop the Incursion and blow up the other Earth. He does this by splitting into 3 and putting on what looks to be the same helmets the Black Priests wear. Somehow, the Great Society found away to stop The Priests, and take their power for themselves.

I’m very intrigued as to where this is heading now. Are The Illuminati going to head to this Ersatz DCU and team-up with them? Or are we going to see Doctor Strange (who is still AWOL) attempt to do the same as The Norn and take the Black Priest’s helmets? The questions raised in last week’s issue made me roll my eyes, but this week’s had me begging for answers. That’s the thing about Hickman, he’s always asking questions, but they aren’t all equally gripping.

The art here comes from Rags Morales, and it was certainly a bit of an adjustment to see him drawing Marvel Characters when he’s spent so long over at DC. It’s a good job he was mostly drawing DC analogues! I’ve always liked Morales’ style, and it looked good here. I really like the way he draws Namor, he just looks so perfectly cocky. I suppose that makes sense too, he drew Black Adam for a long time, and he’s basically just Namor isn’t he? As I said last week, a bad New Avengers issue is no big deal, as Hickman normally gets back to form pretty quickly. He does that here, and sets up a whole lot of interesting new story possibilities for the future.

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 79 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: New Avengers #16 (Everything lives Spoilers)

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:36 pm

The last few issues with Bianchi on the pencils have been really confusing. Especially since someone forgot to tell Bianchi that the Beast has transformed again. He looks more like Cat-Beast during the past few issues. (Or did something happen elsewhere that I didn't know about?)

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Johnny Smith
cheese

Liked in: 114 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:43 pm

I loved reading New Justice League :roll:

Johnny Smith
cheese

Liked in: 114 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:49 pm

Juan Cena wrote:The last few issues with Bianchi on the pencils have been really confusing. Especially since someone forgot to tell Bianchi that the Beast has transformed again. He looks more like Cat-Beast during the past few issues. (Or did something happen elsewhere that I didn't know about?)

At this point, somebody at Marvel should just give Beast the ability to change back and forth between Ape-Beast, Cat-Beast and Gorilla-Beast.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:52 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:I loved reading New Justice League :roll:

Hey, it's better than the actual Justice League!

(Not true really, Justice League has been very good during Forever Evil IMO)

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 53 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:11 pm

Morales really reminded me of a shitty Brent Anderson on this issue.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:50 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:
At this point, somebody at Marvel should just give Beast the ability to change back and forth between Ape-Beast, Cat-Beast and Gorilla-Beast.

Or better yet - just restore the Ape-Beast look. Preferably the George Perez-style Ape-Beast.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:51 pm

Zero wrote:Morales really reminded me of a shitty Brent Anderson on this issue.

Which was still way better than Bianchi

- Sons of the Desert

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 240 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:32 am

The Illuminutti use big words to announce they're going to watch a TV show. Then they watch the TV show.

That's all that happened in this issue. Seriously, this issue in the old days would have been a page or two at most.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:12 am

while I generally feel like every Amoebas post in a Marvel-related thread has recently suffered from a terminal case of "grumpy old man who hates change-itis", I agree with him here. ever since Infinity ended, Hickman has completely lost me on the two "main" Avengers books. I just get absolutely zero enjoyment out of reading this book or Avengers at the moment. they pale in comparison to World or Uncanny.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 126 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:25 pm

chap22 wrote:while I generally feel like every Amoebas post in a Marvel-related thread has recently suffered from a terminal case of "grumpy old man who hates change-itis", I agree with him here. ever since Infinity ended, Hickman has completely lost me on the two "main" Avengers books. I just get absolutely zero enjoyment out of reading this book or Avengers at the moment. they pale in comparison to World or Uncanny.

Hickman got many of the same complaints (mostly from the same people ), during his FF run, so I'm going to withhold judgement until we get closer to the end.

That being said Remender's Avengers has been very good, though I do have some questions at how it fits into the overall MU.

Hab

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:29 pm

habitual wrote:
Hickman got many of the same complaints (mostly from the same people ), during his FF run, so I'm going to withhold judgement until we get closer to the end.

That being said Remender's Avengers has been very good, though I do have some questions at how it fits into the overall MU.

Hab

The turnaround in FF is honestly the only reason I'm still reading these two books at the moment, because I admittedly was one of the loud FF complainers as it was going on. But even then, at the height of my displeasure with FF, I still enjoyed that more than I am this Avengers stuff. It's just SO MUCH vaguely defined or explained pseudo-science and frankly nondescript "villains" that I just don't care about, in the midst of just too much alternate universe gobbledygook. I would like to read about the actual Avengers in an Avengers book, but maybe that's just me

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:35 pm

habitual wrote:

Hab

Kind of confusing how the world is blown up in Uncanny but still going in the rest of the Marvel U. :smt005

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:39 pm

Chesscub wrote:
Kind of confusing how the world is blown up in Uncanny but still going in the rest of the Marvel U. :smt005

No it's not. It's a time-travel story. Clearly Future Havok is gonna find a way to fix it all so that it never actually blew up. This is 101.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:54 pm

chap22 wrote:No it's not. It's a time-travel story. Clearly Future Havok is gonna find a way to fix it all so that it never actually blew up. This is 101.

I'd love it if Marvel had published blank books one month. "Earth ended. See Uncanny Avengers 17 to find out why." :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand