Advertisement

New Captain America series, whaddya think?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 203 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: New Captain America series, whaddya think?

Postby Keb » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:10 pm

MikeinLA has spoken and y'all owe me $3. Pay up!

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 287 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:54 pm

MikeinLA wrote:A semi-serious answer as to why Cap's shield can boil water:

The shield was broken by the Serpent during the Fear Itself event. Afterwards, it was repaired by the dwarves of Asgard, who infused the mystic Uru metal into it. This allows Cap to subconsciously will the shield to conduct heat when its beneficial for him.

Where's my No Prize?

As for the latest issue, it was ok. I'd rather see Captain America actually doing something to find Zemo and get home instead of sitting around fishing and painting murals.

It's an explanation perhaps, but I don't know if I like the idea of Cap's shield being magical.

Thank you Troy for the sig

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby UnionJack » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:09 am

Just read the first two issues & really enjoying it. Loved the Kirby run that has inspired this. Also loved Brubaker's run with the espionage element & I always like to see Falcon & Sharon Carter.
However, it's good to have a complete turnabout yet not do something that's completely alien to the character.
I'm definitely in for the long-term - but then I always have been with Cap.

The shield & boiling water conundrum didn't even occur to me....

Drcharles
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Drcharles » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:21 am

UnionJack wrote:Just read the first two issues & really enjoying it. Loved the Kirby run that has inspired this. Also loved Brubaker's run with the espionage element & I always like to see Falcon & Sharon Carter.
However, it's good to have a complete turnabout yet not do something that's completely alien to the character.
I'm definitely in for the long-term - but then I always have been with Cap.

The shield & boiling water conundrum didn't even occur to me....

I cant disagree more, Capt America worked better with the espionage element, I read the first issue, and the art felt that bad that I couldn't stand it, I dropped issue 2 straight away.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

oh and a pic of ben affleck playing a blind matt is enough to make me not take you seriously.....

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 240 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:51 am

UnionJack wrote:Just read the first two issues & really enjoying it. Loved the Kirby run that has inspired this. ~

I too like taking characters out of their element from time to time - but only when it's done in a physical sense. When it's done to the core of the character, imo, it's not (like Cap even thinking about suicide in #2).

As for the Kirby influence - hell yes. Love it (only wish KIrby was drawing it over Romita Jr.).

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:56 am

Drcharles wrote:
I cant disagree more, Capt America worked better with the espionage element, I read the first issue, and the art felt that bad that I couldn't stand it, I dropped issue 2 straight away.

I never got into Brubaker's run mainly because of the espionage theme. To me, Cap works best when he's out there, in public, kicking ass and taking names. Cloak and dagger/spy stuff and Cap just doesn't work with me - but then I was raised on DeMatteis' Cap run - Cap doesn't get batter than that.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:57 am

Maybe Cap has been humbled by the task before him. :roll:

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 203 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:15 pm

Amoebas wrote:I never got into Brubaker's run mainly because of the espionage theme. To me, Cap works best when he's out there, in public, kicking ass and taking names. Cloak and dagger/spy stuff and Cap just doesn't work with me - but then I was raised on DeMatteis' Cap run - Cap doesn't get batter than that.

I thought his weapon (and cookware) of choice was a shield :P

I agree to an extent. The spy stuff is cool and shit, but I've always thought that Cap works best on the front lines leading the charge. That being said, the secret mission stories are still good and I like that the character can function in almost any capacity as a hero. He's a super-soldier so he really can do everything.

I really liked Cap's role in the Ultimates even if Millar made him a bit dickish in the comics.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:32 pm

Amoebas wrote:I never got into Brubaker's run mainly because of the espionage theme. To me, Cap works best when he's out there, in public, kicking ass and taking names. Cloak and dagger/spy stuff and Cap just doesn't work with me - but then I was raised on DeMatteis' Cap run - Cap doesn't get batter than that.

Word to your mother.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:06 pm

MikeinLA wrote:A semi-serious answer as to why Cap's shield can boil water:

The shield was broken by the Serpent during the Fear Itself event. Afterwards, it was repaired by the dwarves of Asgard, who infused the mystic Uru metal into it. This allows Cap to subconsciously will the shield to conduct heat when its beneficial for him.

Where's my No Prize?

As for the latest issue, it was ok. I'd rather see Captain America actually doing something to find Zemo and get home instead of sitting around fishing and painting murals.

Good point, but I need a little something before awarding you with a No Prize.

Even if the shield was infused with Uru metal, what are the properties of Uru? Does Thor's hammer can get hot enough for him to do kesh kebabs?

Keb wrote:Vibranium and kinetic energy is like Arion and sexual energy. It absorbs it and gets hard(er).

2phar?

Yay! I have super powers !

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby UnionJack » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Amoebas wrote:
I too like taking characters out of their element from time to time - but only when it's done in a physical sense. When it's done to the core of the character, imo, it's not (like Cap even thinking about suicide in #2).

As for the Kirby influence - hell yes. Love it (only wish KIrby was drawing it over Romita Jr.).

At work so don't have the comic to hand but I read that scene as suicide being something to not even consider.

As to the espionage stories - yes, they're great. SHIELD is one of my favourite things in comics. However, the change is welcome.

I love Romita's art - happy he's on the book. Mike Zeck would be my all-time favourite Cap artist though.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:47 pm

I think the suicide reference was a bit clumsy. It's like Remender saying "lookit here kids, Cap is soooo desperate he has even contemplated suicide".

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:28 pm

UnionJack wrote:At work so don't have the comic to hand but I read that scene as suicide being something to not even consider.

Yes, Cap did think it was something to not even consider - after he spent 3 panels considering it. :lol:
Plus he's still carrying around the suicide bullet thing - so it's seems it's still an option.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:24 pm

I was going to ask what happened to the Cap who'd go down fighting to the end but then I remembered Civil War. :smt011

To be honest, ever since he grew boobs back in the '90s I've been suspicious his testosterone level is a little off.

MikeinLA
crash test dummy

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby MikeinLA » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Amoebas wrote:Yes, Cap did think it was something to not even consider - after he spent 3 panels considering it. :lol:
Plus he's still carrying around the suicide bullet thing - so it's seems it's still an option.

The bullet is a gift from Sharon Carter, right? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it was given to Cap as the option of last resort if his mission failed, more as a (admittedly dumb) memento that Steve uses to inspire himself to get home.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand