Advertisement

NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 21 - SWAMP THING #8

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 59 posts

Re: NEW REVIEW GROUP WEEK 21 - SWAMP THING #8

Postby ****** » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:41 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
I'm not really a fan of that site, but thanks anyway. :)

Seeing as Graphic.ly cried uncle this week, you'd better get used to it. ComiXology is now the digital equivalent of Diamond.

Unless of course you prefer torrents. :twisted:

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 290 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:03 pm

amlah6 wrote:
Seeing as Graphic.ly cried uncle this week, you'd better get used to it. ComiXology is now the digital equivalent of Diamond.

Unless of course you prefer torrents. :twisted:

Comixology requires you to sign up for an account before you can buy from them. I've occasionally begun the process of registering, but every time I get suspicious of their set up. There's just something about it that makes me feel that it's not a site I can trust. If I feel like I can't trust a site, than I'm not going to deal with them.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Postby ****** » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:18 pm

I haven't used their site directly, I've only used their app which is now basically your only option if you're looking to legally obtain Marvel/DC/Image single issue digital comics seeing as the Marvel and DC apps are just branded versions of ComiXology.

(Dark Horse uses their own digital store and app, but I haven't used it since I buy their stuff in print.)

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:21 pm

amlah6 wrote:I haven't used their site directly, I've only used their app which is now basically your only option if you're looking to legally obtain Marvel/DC/Image single issue digital comics seeing as the Marvel and DC apps are just branded versions of ComiXology.

(Dark Horse uses their own digital store and app, but I haven't used it since I buy their stuff in print.)

How do you obtain their app then?

Postby ****** » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:35 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
How do you obtain their app then?

You would download it from your app store on your phone or tablet.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:40 pm

amlah6 wrote:
You would download it from your app store on your phone or tablet.

*sigh*

I was afraid that would be the answer since I own neither.

Well, back to torrents.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 191 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:37 am

Stephen Day wrote:
*sigh*

Well, back to torrents.

Torrents are the best thing ever.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:56 am

Stephen Day wrote:
*sigh*

Well, back to torrents.

You can buy and read the comics within your web browser.

www.comixology.com

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:52 pm

I have been awake far too long. Taking care of baby and baby mama and watching things burst forth. I have no clue what happened in this issue but it was atmospheric, dark and written very well. I've never disliked a swampthing issue I've read and it's nice to see someone not completely retreading Alan Moore's work. Overall good issue I might read the series someday or I might not.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:59 am

Stephen Day wrote:
Comixology requires you to sign up for an account before you can buy from them. I've occasionally begun the process of registering, but every time I get suspicious of their set up. There's just something about it that makes me feel that it's not a site I can trust. If I feel like I can't trust a site, than I'm not going to deal with them.

:smt102 Having used their system since thanksgiving now, I have nothing but positive things to say and really there's nothing suspicious about them.

I may join back up this week because Yoni's pick sounds pretty damn amazing.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:20 pm

doombug wrote: :smt102 Having used their system since thanksgiving now, I have nothing but positive things to say and really there's nothing suspicious about them.

I may join back up this week because Yoni's pick sounds pretty damn amazing.

Sounds like we should go out on top. This will be my last week as part of the review group and I think we should all just let it die.

- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:24 pm

Zombie Review Group can never die as it is already undead.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:57 am

Swamp Thing #8 - 'Eye Of The Storm' - Snyder, Paquette and Rudy

Story - It's all been building to this. We've had 7 issues of Swamp Thing where Alec Holland hasn't even been Swamp Thing. Yes, he's met previous Swamp Things, he's had visions, but it's not quite the same is it? Now, in this issue, the new, uber-Swamp Thing is unleashed!

And he has wings!

And horns!

It's pretty damn cool.

Scott Snyder has taken a very deliberate route with this title, slowly building up the threat of The Rot, and now the first big fight between the forces of The Green and The Rot is here, and it's exciting to see. Sometimes the slow pace of this book has been rather infuriating, but here it all pays off, as Swamp Thing's battle with the various disgusting monstrosities The Rot confronts him with carries real meaning. The story here is really a battle between abstract concepts of life and decay, and that would be hard to get across if we hadn't had the build-up we've had.

As it is, this issue was very satisfying, as it feels like the book has finally coalesced into what it's meant to be, Swamp Thing fighting against not only The Rot, but also his true love, who is transformed into a terrifying insect-like creature. I felt it was clever for Snyder to hold off on showing what Abby had been transformed into last month, allowing the reader a month to come up with something terrible in their minds. And whilst the actuality isn't quite as hideous as my imagination, it was till pretty damn creepy.

This was another very good issue of Swamp Thing, and I really am lost as to how Snyder is going to keep up the pace, we know that there's a crossover between this title and Animal Man in the pipeline, if the scale of the events in this issue isn't enough to necessitate that, what is? I have no idea, and that's great.

Art - Perhaps the true star of this issue is the art, Yanick Paquette and Marco Rudy share the duties here, and they do a great job. This book is a visual feast, the panel layouts are fantastic, reaching almost JH Williams' III levels of innovation, and the detail of the art is equally wonderful, Paquette's depiction of all the various Rot-horrors is excellent, disgusting hybrid creatures that I could never imagine, and that makes them all the more scary.

Best Line - 'I'll take that... as a no'

9/10

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand