Tuesday, September 25, 2018 • Evening Edition • "For when you've got nowhere else to go."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Nick Spencer Vows To Cleanse Riverdale of Pimps, Junkies, And Prostitutes

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:23 pm

"Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets," Spencer, who looked like he hadn't slept in several days, said in a press release.

Source: Press Release

"You're only as healthy as you feel," Nick Spencer told The Outhouse. "And Riverdale feels like a cancer."

I met Spencer outside Hillary Clinton's former campaign office in Cincinnati, Ohio, despite Clinton's campaign being over for almost two years. I later found out Spencer had been squatting in the building as well. He did have an affinity for the former pizza shop; it had at one time been the headquarters for both his failed Cincinnati City Council runs.

I asked Spencer why he feels that way about Riverdale.

He took a long drag on a cigarette before saying, "I think someone should just take this city and just... just flush it down the fuckin' toilet."

I wasn't sure what Spencer was getting at.

He sighed. "All my life needed was a sense of someplace to go. I don't believe that one should devote his life to morbid self-attention, I believe that one should become a person like other people."

I replied, "Maybe I'm starting to get it. Riverdale was the place for you to go to."

Spencer put out his cigarette and stared at the cars driving by. He told me he had taken up driving a cab in Riverdale to familiarize himself with the city. I mentioned that services like Uber and Lyft exist and it would probably work better with his writing schedule as he could make his own hours.

Suddenly, he snapped. "Hey, I'm not square, you're the one that's square. You're full of shit, man. What are you talking about? You walk out with those fuckin' creeps and low-lifes and degenerates out on the streets and you sell your little pussy for peanuts? For some low-life pimp who stands in the hall? And I'm square? You're the one that's square, man. I don't go screwing fuck with a bunch of killers and junkies like you do. You call that bein' hip? What world are you from?"

I told him I wouldn't take this kind of insult, so I was going to call a cab to take me back to the airport. His mood instantly changed and he offered to give me a ride. It beat me waiting for another cab to come by.

Arriving at the airport, I went to pay my fare, but Spencer just smiled at me and turned off the meter. As he drove off, I watched him looking into the rear-view mirror.

Archie #700 is set to release in November, written by Spencer, with art by Marguerite Sauvage.

Written or Contributed by Tim Midura

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Archie was always HYDRA.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:22 pm

Archie never wanted Betty OR Veronica.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:48 pm

HNutz wrote:Archie never wanted Betty OR Veronica.

Well, I don't know about all that, but Jug damn sure never wanted Big Ethel...

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:11 pm

Say what you like but he can hit a deadline

Glaeken

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Glaeken » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:38 am

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:26 am

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:Say what you like but he can hit a deadline

I miss the writers like Bill Mantlo, Doug Moench, Barbara Kesel, and Mary Jo Duffy who could hit a deadline AND write good stories.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:23 pm

But he has to set it up first with a jab, none of that starting with a sucker punch; deadlines are on to that now.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:40 pm

Chessack wrote:
I miss the writers like Bill Mantlo, Doug Moench, Barbara Kesel, and Mary Jo Duffy who could hit a deadline AND write good stories.

Oh they’re still out there. You just have to know where to look.

Remender, Bunn, Soule, Abnett, Waid, Aaron, Zdarsky...

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:46 pm

chap22 wrote:
Oh they’re still out there. You just have to know where to look.

Remender, Bunn, Soule, Abnett, Waid, Aaron, Zdarsky...

Bunn's my favoite. He takes care of all my horror stories.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:20 pm

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:
Bunn's my favoite. He takes care of all my horror stories.

Harrow County is SO good, yo.

And I’m encouraged by Shadow Roads too. Should be a good follow-up to Sixth Gun.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:10 pm

chap22 wrote:
Harrow County is SO good, yo.

And I’m encouraged by Shadow Roads too. Should be a good follow-up to Sixth Gun.

I love Harrow county, and I haven't read Shadow Roads mostly because I find it hard to keep up with everything he's writing. Can I infer it has a bit more action?

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:14 pm

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:
I love Harrow county, and I haven't read Shadow Roads mostly because I find it hard to keep up with everything he's writing. Can I infer it has a bit more action?

Only one issue out so far, but it hits the ground running.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:08 pm

But with stuff like Secret Empire makes you wish he didn't bother.

leave a comment with facebook