Advertisement

Nominations for Cover of the Week 1/8/14

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: Nominations for Cover of the Week 1/8/14

Postby Arion » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:29 pm

Guys, I updated the cover of the month poll. Now you can vote for the Fables cover that came out on December 31st .

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 166 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:35 am

Arion wrote:Why do we have to fight about it? I say google the cover and post whatever it is you find first, whether it be virgin art or the final version.

Actually, I'm thinking of making trade dress a stipulation for nominees.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 129 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:58 am

nietoperz wrote:
Actually, I'm thinking of making trade dress a stipulation for nominees.

Then just pull the plug and do it. It's not fair to contributors who nominate covers without the trade dress to have this passive/aggressive conversation about it if minds have already been made. Obviously the whole "I don't care one way or another" is a bit of bullshit on my part as I prefer the clean art, but let's not dance around this anymore. Just stipulate it as a rule.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:56 am

alaska1125 wrote:Then just pull the plug and do it. It's not fair to contributors who nominate covers without the trade dress to have this passive/aggressive conversation about it if minds have already been made. Obviously the whole "I don't care one way or another" is a bit of bullshit on my part as I prefer the clean art, but let's not dance around this anymore. Just stipulate it as a rule.

Well, the thing is, I don't want to introduce something that pisses the majority of contributors off. I tend to agree with Amoebas - the art of constructing a fantastic and striking cover includes logo and information placement. That said, I know others don't agree, which is why I have hesitated up to this point.

Perhaps it's appropriate to put this to the vote.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:24 pm

The less rules the better.

We come here to nominate covers and vote for them. That's it. Why do we have to complicate our existence with rules?

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 341 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:51 pm

alaska1125 wrote:I don't really care one way or the other, but at the same time, much like an earlier complaint about variant covers, I don't get why it's an issue. Cover art is cover art. I prefer it when I can view it minus horrible DC movie ads or art killing red bands along the bottom of Marvel books, but whatever.

The thing is the cover dress changes how the finished product looks. Badly placed titles and advertisements (remember the awful green banners advertising the Green Lantern movie), or art that doesn't take into account the fact that the cover dress will exist can ruin, or badly damage the look of the final version of the cover that appears on the stands.

Above I mentioned the Green lantern banner. I couldn't in good conscience vote for any regular DC cover in that period. They all had the banner and they all looked the worse for it.

In the end, I don't feel it's something that can just be ignored as if it doesn't exist. I'm not saying that that is the intention of people who only nominate cover art without the cover dress. The thing is, to me, regardless of the intention of the nominator, that's what it feels like the result is.
Last edited by Stephen Day on Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 341 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:45 pm

Hinterkind #4

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand