Sunday, September 23, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Brought to you by the lowest bidder!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Not Only Is DC In Crisis, But Its Heroes Are As Well

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:19 am

Psycho-Pirate was used throughout King's Batman run though.Anarchy was in detective recently I think.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:33 pm

Isn't Psycho Pirate also important because he can remember all realities? That might explain why Powergirl is all the way in the back by herself. Quick, someone hold down Achilles before he explodes with worst-case scenario theories! :P

MikeinLA

cheese

Postby MikeinLA » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:42 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Isn't Psycho Pirate also important because he can remember all realities or something similar?

He at one point was the only person in the first "post-Crisis" Universe who remembered all the previous realities. Given what's gone on since then that can't be the case anymore. Other people obviously know, and in truth he might not.

Clockwork_Fish

cheese

Postby Clockwork_Fish » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:50 pm

It could be the Secret Six version of Ragdoll. Man, hope it's not Ragdoll, but then how would that make sense?

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:15 am

This sounds like DC is doubling down on what they said back during the New 52... that superheroes do what they do because they are psychologically damaged people, and they are trying to "heal themselves." In their minds, Batman is just a mentally sick person for whom it is "therapeutic" to go out there and fight crime every night. Same with Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. These people are NOT WELL. If they were, they would not put on crazy costumes and go save the world.

Yes this is just what Kirby and company had in mind when they created superheroes.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:06 am

Chessack wrote:This sounds like DC is doubling down on what they said back during the New 52... that superheroes do what they do because they are psychologically damaged people, and they are trying to "heal themselves." In their minds, Batman is just a mentally sick person for whom it is "therapeutic" to go out there and fight crime every night. Same with Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. These people are NOT WELL. If they were, they would not put on crazy costumes and go save the world.

Yes this is just what Kirby and company had in mind when they created superheroes.

I don't think they said that.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:12 pm

MikeinLA wrote:
He at one point was the only person in the first "post-Crisis" Universe who remembered all the previous realities. Given what's gone on since then that can't be the case anymore. Other people obviously know, and in truth he might not.

There is only a handful of people in the DCU that remember the pre-reboot reality. How would that have any affect on Psycho Pirate? :smt017

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:14 pm

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:

And what does Kirby have to do with this? :lol:

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:26 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
And what does Kirby have to do with this? :lol:

Oh my god! They killed Kirby!

Flamebird

rubber spoon

Postby Flamebird » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:35 pm

Oh my god! They killed Kirby!

Herald

Not a Kardashian

Postby Herald » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:12 pm

To be fair, they will be saying that when they release this book. And it follows from there that, if the heroes REALLY want to get well, instead of "cheaping out" with this quick fix-up from this questionable clinic, they need to STOP BEING HEROES. And that's why you don't bring this much reality into such a fantasy setting; like putting matter and anti-matter together, the whole thing BLOWS UP!

Mr. King might mean well, what with his "I wanna make these heroes inspirational to veterans and others dealing with mental trauma!", but "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

MikeinLA

cheese

Postby MikeinLA » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:35 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
There is only a handful of people in the DCU that remember the pre-reboot reality. How would that have any affect on Psycho Pirate? :smt017

It might not, I have no idea. But given all the reboots and rebirths that have gone on in the thirty years since COIE, that particular plot-point may have been dropped. The last time I saw it mentioned was in Grant Morrison's Animal Man, and a lot has happened since then.

Edit: What is certain is that Psycho-Pirate is no longer the only person who remembers Pre-Crisis DC.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:41 am

MikeinLA wrote:It might not, I have no idea. But given all the reboots and rebirths that have gone on in the thirty years since COIE, that particular plot-point may have been dropped. The last time I saw it mentioned was in Grant Morrison's Animal Man, and a lot has happened since then.

Yes, it has been mentioned since Animal Man. Psycho Pirate was in Powergirl's 2005 solo title that brought up the prior multiverse and Kara's place in it. Most recently Psycho Pirate was a big part of 2016's Batman Rebirth again playing on his ability to remember the prior continuities.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:01 am

chap22 wrote:
REALLY hit or miss. Grayson was good. Mr. Miracle is a really well-written book that I love. Vision was a really well-written book that I hated. And he’s currently writing the single worst run of Batman I’ve read in 39 years of collecting.

So it’s a real crapshoot IMO.

I loved the Grayson spy title. It was because of King that I started reading Batman again when Rebirth launched although I dropped it at the end of the first year.
King also wrote that Sgt Rock short story in the DC Holiday Special about the dying Jewish soldier who was holding the Nazi soldier prisoner, and the Swamp Thing Winter Special.
And King wrote that twisted Joker short story in DC Nation #0 where Joker holds that guy prisoner and torments him with really bad jokes while waiting for the mail to see if he gets an invitation to Batman's wedding. 8)

Glaeken

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Glaeken » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:54 am

How is this not a PSA comic?

leave a comment with facebook