Saturday, June 23, 2018 • Midnight Edition • "Now part of a nutrituous breakfast!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Not Only Is DC In Crisis, But Its Heroes Are As Well

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:18 am

Not Only Is DC In Crisis, But Its Heroes Are As Well

You get a crisis! Everyone gets a crisis!

Source: Polygon

DC Entertainment is in transition with both Diane Nelson and Geoff Johns out from executive positions. Writer Tom King is writing what he knows and what he knows is DC is in a crisis. 

The publisher announced Heroes In Crisis, a new project from King and artist Clay Mann. The series will focus on Sanctuary, a mental health crisis center for the super-powered people of the DC Universe. King expanded on this idea in a press release.

"I feel like I'm part of a rolling generation of people who spent their twenties overseas fighting terrorism. Millions of people cycle through that machine and come home to America. And I think that sort of experience of violence is shaping who we are as a culture, and as a country. And I want to talk about that. I want to talk about that experience, the experience of what violence can do to a person, to a community, to a nation, to a world."

This crisis will be an inversion of most of DC's crisis which are normally on a cosmic scale. Heroes In Crisis is "a murder mystery involving Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, Booster Gold, and the rest of the World's Greatest Super Heroes."

In talking about the idea of Sanctuary, King explained his plan of making superheroes something that children can look up to again.

"We're creating a place superheroes can go that mimics the good work people are doing for veterans around the world. So that your greatest heroes, who are inspiring our children, can say proudly: 'Yes, I've had some mental difficulties, and yes, working with people has helped me through them.' And we don't hide behind that."

Heroes In Crisis #1 is set to release September 26.

Written or Contributed by Tim Midura

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Herald

Not a Kardashian

Postby Herald » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:28 am

So basically, he's redoing Identity Crisis, but with a medical clinic. UGH.

RobThompson

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby RobThompson » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:44 am

This has the smell of ignorance all over it.

MikeinLA

cheese

Postby MikeinLA » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:59 am

It's kind of hard to have a serious, relevant discussion about superhero mental health when (going by the cover) Harley Quinn is apparently front and center in your storyline.

Belle-Tain Summer

Flying Mongoose

Postby Belle-Tain Summer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:04 am

Reset the counter!

I'm as sick of viewing everything through a military lens as I am of damn event comics. There is probably even less imagination used in the former than the latter, and the latter is one of the most creatively bankrupt form of current storytelling.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:11 am

MikeinLA wrote:It's kind of hard to have a serious, relevant discussion about superhero mental health when (going by the cover) Harley Quinn is apparently front and center in your storyline.

EXACTLY!

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:36 am

MikeinLA wrote:It's kind of hard to have a serious, relevant discussion about superhero mental health when (going by the cover) Harley Quinn is apparently front and center in your storyline.

Frankly, I'm getting tired, very tired, of the same dozen or so characters out of DC's hundreds appearing in damn near every comic book, and Harley is one of the worst offenders. Take a lesson from the best horror movies, DC. Some characters are best used sparingly for maximum effectiveness. Less, but better should be the motto for Harley, Joker, Darkseid, Cyborg, and others.

Spacedog

Expert Post Whore

Postby Spacedog » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:13 pm

I wish they could stop using the word "Crisis" for the next ten years. It used to represent a meaningful DC Comics tradition. Now it's just a joke.

LiamA

cheese

Postby LiamA » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:25 pm

Interesting.

Glaeken

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Glaeken » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:33 pm

Spacedog wrote:I wish they could stop using the word "Crisis" for the next ten years. It used to represent a meaningful DC Comics tradition. Now it's just a joke.

Maybe DC and Marvel should exchange the words Crisis and Infinity for their events.

RobThompson

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby RobThompson » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:48 pm

Belle-Tain Summer wrote:Reset the counter!

I'm as sick of viewing everything through a military lens as I am of damn event comics. There is probably even less imagination used in the former than the latter, and the latter is one of the most creatively bankrupt form of current storytelling.

Fear not. They have not yet shown ANYTHING through a "military lens." They have shown stories through a "this is what my ignorance thinks a military lens is" focus, though.

RobThompson

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby RobThompson » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:51 pm

Glaeken wrote:
Maybe DC and Marvel should exchange the words Crisis and Infinity for their events.

They are actually working on a crossover series: Crisis of Secret Infinity Wars.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:35 pm

On another note, is this another one of those covers that doesn't represent what's in the book at all? Because....how the hell can Power Girl be there, AFAIK she's still missing between worlds? Unless she's not there, and this IS one of those covers, or this is set in the future presuming she frees herself of that fake PG Tanya Spears rescues her...

Clockwork_Fish

cheese

Postby Clockwork_Fish » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:15 pm

I could understand the idea behind this if the characters who were its focal point were from more of a military background. Like, shouldn't Hal Jordan be somewhere up front in that cover, instead of hanging around the back there? Instead it's Harley Quinn, who's known more for poop jokes and cheesecake than she is any kind of deep introspection.

King did work in counter-terrorism, so his intentions may be genuine, but it looks like DC editorial got their claws into it and said "put Harley and Booster front and centre! We wanna pitch them this month! Doesn't have to make sense!"

cbikle

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby cbikle » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:37 pm

How is Tom King as a writer ?

leave a comment with facebook