Advertisement

Nova #9 (Bowling Ball Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Nova #9 (Bowling Ball Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:56 am

More Infinity tie-in fun, as Sam Alexander goes up against Proxima Midnight’s strongest lieutenant, Kaldera. The best thing about this title is how Loeb, and now Wells have been writing Sam as an inexperienced kid, and how he doesn’t do things the traditional, expected, superhero way, and there was a lot of that here.

So, when Kaldera challenges him to unarmed combat, he accepts, but then cheats and becomes Nova anyway. It’s not something you expect from a hero, and that’s what makes it interesting. So, because he cheated Nova pretty easily defeats Kaldera, but there was some interesting stuff in this fight, especially when he picks up the helmet of another Nova that Kaldera killed, and it glows and says ‘transfer complete’. What transfer? Is Sam going to get this dude inside his head like Richard Rider did with Worldmind? Or has it increased his powers? That certainly was intriguing.

The ending was also good, with Proxima Midnight punishing Kaldera and locking her up in box without killing her. It looks she is going to be Sam’s first nemesis, and it’s going to be very exciting when she returns.

The New Warriors subplot continues here, with Justice and Speedball helping Sam to cheat, and getting all pally with his mother and sister. Now that we know that there is going to be a new New Warriors team and that these 3 are going to be on it, I am actually more interested in where this is going, although this plot does really bring with it my only real issue with this book at the moment, and it’s that Paco Medina’s artwork makes Speedball and Justice look the same age as Sam, when they must be at least 10 years older. In all other aspects, Medina’s art is great, but man, everyone looks way too young. Maybe he should just give all the adults beards.

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: Nova #9 (Bowling Ball Spoilers)

Postby habitual » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:25 pm

If Thanos is able to kill Sam Alexander Infinity will become my favorite event comic.

Hab

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 390 posts

Postby Draco x » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:05 pm

habitual wrote:If Thanos is able to kill Sam Alexander Infinity will become my favorite event comic.

Hab

We couldn't get that lucky.

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:28 pm

habitual wrote:If Thanos is able to kill Sam Alexander Infinity will become my favorite event comic.

Hab

You know, when this started, I couldn't stand Sam Alexander or all of the retcons to the Nova Corps history. I've been a Rich Rider fan since ye olde times and this new guy just ticked me off. In all honesty, I was buying this book because it kept the franchise alive and because they kept teasing that Rich was coming back or that they were going to deal with it or something.

But after a while, the kid kinda grew on me. No, he's not Rich. Nowhere close. Not even in the same ballpark... or sport for that matter. They simply share the same name and power set. But he's kinda grown on me. It has a genuine sort of glee in his adventures (which really are more often than not mis-adventures) and the fact that they are continually bringing in aspects of Rich's past and having Sam have to deal with it is actually rather entertaining.

Do I want Rich back? Absolutely. Beyond a doubt. One Hundred and Seventy-Two Percent. But until that day comes, Sam isn't terrible. Hell, he isn't even decent. He's... pretty good.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 851 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:20 pm

I get the Richard Rider love, but Sam isn't a bad character.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 382 posts

Postby GHERU » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:15 pm

Sam is a good kid/character

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 152 posts
Title: Deviant by design

Postby Lord Ice » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:02 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:I get the Richard Rider love, but Sam isn't a bad character.

I don't get the love for Rider, but I start to see the reasoning of the closed-minded idiocy that H.E.A.T. had. :smt102

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 382 posts

Postby GHERU » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:15 pm

Lord Ice wrote:
I don't get the love for Rider, but I start to see the reasoning of the closed-minded idiocy that H.E.A.T. had. :smt102

IMO, the love of Rider comes from him being one of the few characters, and only Wally West comes to mind, in the big two who has been allowed to grow naturally as a solo character and has been published consistently enough for that growth to come off as maturity.
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 185 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:19 am

The Sam hate comes from the cartoon which is weird because comic Sam is nothing like the idiot in the cartoon.

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:15 am

doombug wrote:The Sam hate comes from the cartoon which is weird because comic Sam is nothing like the idiot in the cartoon.

What cartoon? There's a Nova cartoon?

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 49 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:33 am

Flynn the Pirate wrote:
What cartoon? There's a Nova cartoon?

Ultimate Spider-Man.

Nova is a supporting character.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:11 pm

doombug wrote:The Sam hate comes from the cartoon which is weird because comic Sam is nothing like the idiot in the cartoon.

My hate is rooted in the fact that Loeb's "reward" came at the expense of a character that I really enjoyed reading.

Hab

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:19 pm

habitual wrote:
My hate is rooted in the fact that Loeb's "reward" came at the expense of a character that I really enjoyed reading.

Hab

Could you elaborate, please?

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 390 posts

Postby Draco x » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:19 pm

At some point I hope they bring Richard back and maybe have him and Sam interract as that would make me like the latter a little bit more.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:35 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:
Could you elaborate, please?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_%28Sam_Alexander%29

Sam Alexander is a fictional character created by Jeph Loeb who appears in publications from Marvel Comics. He first appeared in the Marvel Point One one-shot in October 2011 before starring in his own series beginning in February 2013. The character was named in honor of Loeb's son Sam, who died in 2006 due to complications from cancer.

Hab

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand