Advertisement

NYCC: Harassment of One Weakens Us All

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 230 posts

NYCC: Harassment of One Weakens Us All

Postby LOLtron » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:38 pm

NYCC: Harassment of One, Weakens Us All

While most had a great time at this past weekend's event, there's a very good reason why many others did not.

Source: Bethany Maddock's Facebook

Whenever I go to a convention, I almost always do a general write-up of what I experienced at the event.  Sometimes the write ups capture the mood of the show. Other times, they’re merely a timeline of what I did, but, no matter what they end up being, they usually help me to reflect and remember of the celebration that was that "x number of days." For me, NYCC 2013 was one of the best conventions I’ve been to. I got to meet some awesome people, hang out with some old friends, attend some amazing panels, play some videogames and have what will go down as a weekend I’ll remember for the rest of my life. However, I can’t help but feel a bit selfish writing that. Why you might ask? Well, it has everything to do with the numerous stories of abysmal behavior that took place over the weekend.

Before I go any further, let me just state that I was not there for any of the harassment myself. In fact, had it not been for Bethany Madock’s expose on the whole entire incident, I (like many others) would’ve only had heard about in passing, generally unaware of the greater impact this has on the people affected. Should you be one of those people, then clicking the link in the last sentence is absolutely vital. Seriously, go read it, so you can fully understand how things went down.

Since that account was written last Sunday, something really awesome happened. Many others decided to come forward and share their own stories of being harassed at the show. Doing the necessary legwork, Heidi of Comics Beat complied many of these stories, breaking down how they soured what was an amazing weekend for many. Of these stories, one of them involved Ay-leen the Peacemaker, which was the story I heard the thinnest details about in casual conversation.  Naturally, any bit of context makes an already pernicious Geisha quote look even more poisonous, as shown in this quote here.

TCI: (hurriedly) Would you like to be interviewed for a show?

Me: For what show?

TCI: A TV show.

Me: What TV show?

TCI: A TV show.

Me: Ok…

(Note: That should have been the first warning, but I was on my guard)

TCI: So, if I were walking in the rain, could I pay you to walk next to me with your umbrella?

Me: Pay me?

TCI: If I paid you?

Me: Then, buy your own umbrella.

TCI: No, I want to buy an umbrella with an Asian girl.

(Warning bell one)

Me: Then no.

TCI: Are you a geisha?

Me: No.

TCI: Can I be a geisha?

(Warning bell two)

Me. No, you can’t —

TCI: Why not?

Me: Because you lack certain things, like style, tact, grace—

The full conversation can be found on Ay-leen's tumblur here. It also has more information on the group that has made waves for all the wrong reasons. Without question, Bethany and Ay-leen are not the only ones who had stories about their unfortunate experiences and should you want to learn about those in full, I recommend that you read Heidi's article, which does a better job than we could expressing why this is not okay. To reinforce that last point, Lance Fensterman would go on to say that Man Banter (the main offending party) had been banned from NYCC and every Reed Pop show going forward.  One can only hope that the swift action taken here is followed with a more comprehensive and defined harassment policy going forward.

(Note: Should you want to know what possessed whoever it was to make that Geisha comment, there's a picture below. Needless to say, I do not endorse anyone who insinuates that wearing anything like the costume in the picture means that they're automatically a Geisha or that's okay to harrass them.)

Written or Contributed by Linwood Earl Knight

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Re: NYCC: Harassment of One, Weakens Us All

Postby Chesscub » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:18 pm

Geez if I saw creeps like that doing anything at a show I was at, I'd work hard to bumrush them out of the show.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 762 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:19 pm

That Herald.... cannot behave at all.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:00 pm

That this happened at a convention is bad enough. But to read so many comments blaming her for some part in this is unconscionable.

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Re: NYCC: Harassment of One Weakens Us All

Postby Frag » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:08 pm

120,000 people in one area. A few of them are assholes and repressed nerds. Shocking.

It's terrible behavior and seems to have been taken care of but then of course we get the "there are so many female comic fans but only 10% of the guests you guys" addition at the end.

The only reason that 40% is close to true is the Anime and Hollywood fans. It's not mainstream comics.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 105 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:53 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:120,000 people in one area. A few of them are assholes and repressed nerds. Shocking.

Actually this was a group of Howard Stern wannabe football jocks. Their whole purpose was to film embarrassing interviews with female cosplayers.

One positive, they paid for their tickets to NYCC. No refunds.

woooooo
Faster Pussycat

Liked in: 0 post

Postby woooooo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:29 pm

So these guys are clearly assholes.

But I have one quibble. There seems to be a disconnect between the 'Comic book artists oversexualize female characters!' idea and the complaint about being ogled when you go out dressed up as one of those oversexualized characters.

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 204 posts

Postby TimH » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:That Herald.... cannot behave at all.

yeah. herald, kimiyo would not be proud.

pastajoe
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 371 posts

Postby pastajoe » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:59 pm

I read the dialogue and was looking for the harassment. Asking someone if they're a Geisha is considered harassment? Is that it? If so, people have become way too sensitive. If you dress up in a costume, you should expect some good natured ribbing. Lighten up.

TimH
cheese

Postby TimH » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:01 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:That this happened at a convention is bad enough. But to read so many comments blaming her for some part in this is unconscionable.

i’m afraid to even read the comments you’re referring to. there are weirdos who seem to believe asian women are fair game to harass.

some guy stalked my wife across a parking lot a few months ago wanting to tell her about his trip to "asia" and wanting to know what her grades as an undergrad (15 years ago...)were.

er, for the record, Herald, she averaged an A minus.

TimH
cheese

Postby TimH » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:05 pm

pastajoe wrote:I read the dialogue and was looking for the harassment. Asking someone if they're a Geisha is considered harassment? Is that it? If so, people have become way too sensitive. If you dress up in a costume, you should expect some good natured ribbing. Lighten up.

uh, read further down? wanting to give her money so he could share her umbrella in the rain while pretending to be a TV journalist? we call that sexual innuendo delivered in a creepy way.

i dont know what meds he forgot to take, but i hope they dont have an adult proof lid.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 133 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:09 pm

pastajoe wrote:I read the dialogue and was looking for the harassment. Asking someone if they're a Geisha is considered harassment? Is that it? If so, people have become way too sensitive. If you dress up in a costume, you should expect some good natured ribbing. Lighten up.

the full quote from the original article isn't here. He suggested something about women talking to him for as long as she had and a certain sexual act that was where the harassment came from. :smt102

pastajoe
Zombie Guard

Postby pastajoe » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:14 pm

TimH wrote:uh, read further down? wanting to give her money so he could share her umbrella in the rain while pretending to be a TV journalist? we call that sexual innuendo delivered in a creepy way.

i dont know what meds he forgot to take, but i hope they dont have an adult proof lid.

I read it, it's not sexual at all. You're reading way too much into it. Just some guys goofing around. From what I saw on Heroes of Cosplay, some of these costumed people take it way too serious.

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 105 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:16 pm

You didn't click the links did you.

pastajoe
Zombie Guard

Postby pastajoe » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:17 pm

doombug wrote:the full quote from the original article isn't here. He suggested something about women talking to him for as long as she had and a certain sexual act that was where the harassment came from. :smt102

Well that's different, I'm going on the quote that's shown.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand