Thursday, June 30, 2016 • Evening Edition • "We go in so you don't have to."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

It's official: The Neo-Classic Legion is a flop.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:25 pm

Arion wrote:
Ah blimey, that's so very philosphical of you.


Thanks.

Anyway, it's obvious that the way the book is handled now isn't working. Either Levitz needs to change how he's handling the book, or he needs to be replaced with someone with a better grasp of modern comics, SF concepts, character development, etc. And someone willing to take the risks that both new fans and old school readers would like.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:42 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
I can think of other posters I'd rather see shirtless here then either of them.


Oh that's so sweet of you.

You are talking about me, aren't you? Aren't you?
User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:21 am

Dear God, last month 'Teen Titans' and 'Superboy' both individually sold more copies than this title did :lol:
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:40 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:Dear God, last month 'Teen Titans' and 'Superboy' both individually sold more copies than this title did :lol:


And you're shocked by this?
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:23 pm

What you need is to go back to those classic, sexy Mike Grell outfits. What readers want today is to take a good look at Dream Girl's lovely jubbly bubblies.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:56 pm

Arion wrote:What you need is to go back to those classic, sexy Mike Grell outfits. What readers want today is to take a good look at Dream Girl's lovely jubbly bubblies.


Having an artist that draws in a more realistic style like Grell would be helpful if DC went that way. Like I've said before, it would seem that Legion was more popular when there were more realistic artists on board than more cartoonist ones.
User avatar

UnionJack

Mad Hatter

Postby UnionJack » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Have just given up on both Legion titles. I've waited over twenty years for the Legion to be as great as it used to be (Levitz/Giffen and the first Baxter series) but finally had to throw in the towel. Loved the series before the re-boot but the NU52 version has been unmemorable - much like most of DC's line. LSH never recovered from COIE & then there was Giffen's appalling 5 Year Later toss.....
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:19 pm

UnionJack wrote:Have just given up on both Legion titles. I've waited over twenty years for the Legion to be as great as it used to be (Levitz/Giffen and the first Baxter series) but finally had to throw in the towel. Loved the series before the re-boot but the NU52 version has been unmemorable - much like most of DC's line. LSH never recovered from COIE & then there was Giffen's appalling 5 Year Later toss.....


5YG was one of the bigger mistakes in Legion history (maybe the biggest). Legion works when it's in a positive, Star Trek kind of universe, where humanity has overcome it's modern-day problems.
User avatar

UnionJack

Mad Hatter

Postby UnionJack » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Yes, LSH is definitely a title that needs to retain some Silver Age sensibilities. A positiveness, as you say, rather than light-hearted. Not that it should be devoid of some darkness, as depicted in some of the best stories such as Great Darkness Saga, LSV story from the Baxter series.
I thought Levitz's pre-boot Legion was just about there but for some reason the NU52 version has turned to shit but still better that the previous couple of decades. I've just had to admit defeat.
Yes, 5YG the worst LSH ever. Did Giffen write that as well as do the art? Never liked his writing - definitely an artist who should have stuck to art.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:58 pm

UnionJack wrote:Yes, LSH is definitely a title that needs to retain some Silver Age sensibilities. A positiveness, as you say, rather than light-hearted. Not that it should be devoid of some darkness, as depicted in some of the best stories such as Great Darkness Saga, LSV story from the Baxter series.
I thought Levitz's pre-boot Legion was just about there but for some reason the NU52 version has turned to shit but still better that the previous couple of decades. I've just had to admit defeat.
Yes, 5YG the worst LSH ever. Did Giffen write that as well as do the art? Never liked his writing - definitely an artist who should have stuck to art.


Giffen plotted or co-plotted the FYG with the Beirbaums for the first 30 issues or so.

I think Levitz's biggest problem is that he doesn't have a good grasp on modern SF. The 31st century of the Nu-52 Legion doesn't seem much different from the 30th century of 25 years ago. The book does feel like a nostalgia trip in that manner.
User avatar

UnionJack

Mad Hatter

Postby UnionJack » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:22 pm

I'd like to see Alan Davis involved. His LSH Elseworlds from years ago was the best Legion story in the past 2 or 3 decades. It was more his covers than anything that kept me buying the regular series. He has an obvious love of the Legion. Definitely like to see him on art duties & probably co-writing but with whom I'm not sure.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:55 pm

UnionJack wrote:I'd like to see Alan Davis involved. His LSH Elseworlds from years ago was the best Legion story in the past 2 or 3 decades. It was more his covers than anything that kept me buying the regular series. He has an obvious love of the Legion. Definitely like to see him on art duties & probably co-writing but with whom I'm not sure.


I couldn't really argue against Davis. It just needs to be someone who has a more classic style than cartoonish. Davis seems to be on the fence at times.

Artwise, I think the book needs to feature an interpretation of the future that's unique to the Legion. Buildings and interiors need to be less generic. You should be able to recognize locations in an instant without having to look at the captions.
User avatar

UnionJack

Mad Hatter

Postby UnionJack » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:47 pm

Steve Rude. If only.....

His fantastic Nexus shows he gets sci-fi. Think he could do a great job establishing a look for the Legion's world. It'll never happen though.

I also like Ladronn. I remember seeing some pics of an unpublished Inhumans series & it looked fantastic. Remember seeing shots of Attilan & some Kree stuff. He's got a Moebius (did I spell that correctly?) feel about his work that would be perfect for LSH.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:53 pm

5YG was not the worst LoSH. Waid's Threeboot was the worst. 5YG was the second worst.

Give me the job Didio! I'll make the LoSH rock! I'll make it a top seller! No nudity either! I am the NEW MightyGodKing! :-D

Davis is great on story and art, but his LoSH had some cooky ideas for the characters. He made Cham into something worse than what Waid did in the 3Boot. I was left so sad, given my love of his Excalibur work sans Claremont. :cry:

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:55 pm

UnionJack wrote:Steve Rude. If only.....

His fantastic Nexus shows he gets sci-fi. Think he could do a great job establishing a look for the Legion's world. It'll never happen though.

I also like Ladronn. I remember seeing some pics of an unpublished Inhumans series & it looked fantastic. Remember seeing shots of Attilan & some Kree stuff. He's got a Moebius (did I spell that correctly?) feel about his work that would be perfect for LSH.



Thing is, Rude was only half the creative team on Nexus. Mike Baron would need to be included.

Ladronn... the "love child" of Kirby and Moebius...

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Glaeken, Stephen Day, StrongStyleFiction and 63 guests