Advertisement

Own the issue that makes Zechs froth at the mouth for 99¢

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 529 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Own the issue that makes Zechs froth at the mouth for 99

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:31 pm

I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 250 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:45 pm

Dan Slott wrote:Have you SEEN your mother?

Anyone with a realistic understanding of the industry knows that...

1) With the sheer amount of money that DC/Time Warner threw at the New52...
2) The returnability incentives they offered retailers (which, with the way Marvel is structured, Marvel will not counter with a similar plan)...
3) And the tier structured system that forced retailers to continue to order certain titles at greater and greater amounts in order to KEEP their eligibility in the returnability program...

There was NO WAY DC Comics WASN'T going to capture most of the top spots in the market. It was very much an "all-in" move that put a LOT capital on the line. And it paid off! Good for DC. But here's the thing: they've gained those spots and that prestige for their TOP TIER books (and books where they've placed their top tier talent, like AQUAMAN). But all their mid-tier and lower tier titles have fallen out of sight.

If you look at the total sales (the ACTUAL numbers, not the Diamond Estimates), with the exception of bragging rights for those spots on the chart, DC is right back where they started at BEFORE the New 52 launch. MINUS the insane amount of money they threw at the books pre-launch. And there has NOT been that BIG of a push in this industry in DECADES! That must have REALLY set them back. (To be fair, Marvel HAS tried to match them a little in that department for the push for AVX. And that HAS paid off too.)

Meanwhile, if you look at the ACTUAL sales of the titles, in aggregate, Spider-Man has either HELD ITS OWN in a struggling economy when its fellow titles have SUFFERED ATTRITION.
OR... (and here's the part I REALLY like)... has GONE UP IN SALES and bucked the trend.

So when you toss out phrases like "it must keep you up at night..."
I don't think you really have a grasp on the big picture and what's REALLY going on in the industry-- or with Spider-Man.

In the Direct Market-- ASM is stable OR growing. In subscriptions, it's been Marvel's BEST SELLING subscribed title for close to 5 years running. There have only been the odd week once or twice in 5 years where another mainstream Marvel title has knocked it down to the 2nd spot. 5 years! Add to that the other markets that contribute to the bottom line, like digital (where ASM was the first Marvel title to regularly go on sale same day-and-date as print), trade paperbacks, newsstand, etc-- and the ASM BIG TIME run, has been a title that Marvel is EXTREMELY pleased with.

So, nope, I've got better optics (with ACTUAL numbers) and a better perspective than a disgruntled fan on a message board. I know EXACTLY how the book is performing, and BECAUSE of that, I sleep VERY soundly at night. :-)

Yes. Our target demographic are people who REALLY hate that guy who played Ghandi in the movies. :lol:

There's not liking the work and there's being a jackass about it. And, seriously, this is The Outhouse. This is the vibe here. Have you been READING these boards? I find it VERY hypocritical of you in the can-dish-it-out-but-can't-take-it department to suddenly make your stand here and now. Thin-skinned much? I thought Outhousers were made of sterner stuff. :smt102

It scares me that-- if you actually take that last statement to heart-- how much you must live in "internet-reality" instead of REAL WORLD reality.

JMS is a big boy and an accomplished writer in MANY arenas. No one bullied him or "pissed" on his work. He was THE writer of OMD. He helped plan it, came up with the concepts inside it, and worked VERY hard on it. His only grievance with it-- at the time-- was a storytelling mechanic on HOW the final chapter would be executed (NOT the result NOR the outcome)-- and by the time he came to the agreed upon ending, the Brand New Day team had written far far far ahead, and JMS wanted to change the story back to an earlier version. But it was an ending that wouldn't connect right with work that had already been finished.

He felt strongly that his way was better, didn't want to switch back to the ending we (on the BND team) had been told about, and he opted to NOT to write the final chapter. That's it. Everything else and all the histrionics and talk of white hats and black hats is all internet hyperbole that blew something that was very simple completely out of proportion.

But whatever. You trash talked me, I came back with jokes about your mom, and now you're a little butt-hurt. I get it. From now on I'll tread carefully around your delicate condition. You obviously need special care and understanding. And a Midol.

Actually this is very entertaining for me.

It's entertaining to me that you'd feel the need to "school" me in how the industry really works and why, despite all evidences, your book hasn't struggled to be in the top 25 of books sold for the past year. I'm a random schmuck on the internet, who you will never meet, who just said he didn't like your work. I know it hurts your feelings when people's subjective tastes are divergent from your own, but honestly it screams desperation that you feel the need to validate your work this way to someone who obvioulsy is not buying it and will never buy it. I don't care if you somehow sold a million copies of Big Time, that's irrelevent to me. More people wake up in the morning and watch reruns of Andy Griffith everyday that read your little comic book.

The Ben Kigsley thing is pretty funny though, my bad. :oops:

And then all this stuff about JMS :lol: Get over it dude, he wrote a better Spider-man than you. Mark Waid wrote a better Spider-man than you, Fred Van Lente, Roger Stern, even Zeb Wells they all write better than you. You were the worst part of that braintrust aside from Marc Guggenheim, your books were boring. You lucked out because somehow you snagged Romita Jr. on a couple of the stories you did, man talk about a talent disparity. One of the best Spidey artists of all time teamed up with.... well you :lol: . But enjoy your time on CBR list with Maximum carnage :lol:

I know it's hurts to know you haven't written anything worthwhile since She-Hulk, I know it really hurts to see how awesome Christos Gage made the Initiative after you finally left, or how a spider-man book not even starring Peter parker makes your look like a bad fanfic from the newstand. It's okay. Insult me or my family, get the adoration of the people here who would happily lick your balls if you shook their hand. If I look like a jackass that's fine, I felt like a jackass when I read that awful book you tried to pass off as Spider-man.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:52 pm

?

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:57 pm

I'm actually flattered that you read the whole thing Jude.

Thank you.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 395 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:11 pm

Rockman wrote:I'm actually flattered that you read the whole thing Jude.

Thank you.

Yay he feels validated!

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Flattered is different from validate

Validation affects our pride.

Flattery affects our hearts :smt007

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 368 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:13 pm

So how long until this flows over into it's own thread?
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:14 pm

Rockman wrote:Flattered is different from validate

Validation affects our pride.

Flattery affects our hearts :smt007

Regarding Jude, to tell you the truth I don't know if he read all of your posting. His eyes really do just zero in on anything that says "balls".

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 19 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:27 pm

A message to Dan Slott:

Rockman is known to have the second worst taste in the world after jsalwen (though he is catching up). Nobody takes his opinion on stuff seriously. :lol:
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 19 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:32 pm

nietoperz wrote:Yeah, got to say that I don't understand all the hate for Alpha considering none of us know anything about the character yet. Also, I reckon Amazing Spider-Man is a lot of fun right now, and I say that as someone who has been hyper-critical of Marvel's treatment of the character for years, and indeed boycotted the book for more than a decade. ASM and Daredevil are the top of my to-read pile every month, and I can't really ask more than that. Dan Slott brought me back to Spidey, and for that he has my thanks and my trust with the character.

I remember trying to talk you into reading it.

Glad you did (not taking credit).
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:36 pm

The President wrote:A message to Dan Slott:

Rockman is known to have the second worst taste in the world after jsalwen (though he is catching up). Nobody takes his opinion on stuff seriously. :lol:

That's fine everyone has different tastes.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 121 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: Re: Own the issue that makes Zechs froth at the mouth fo

Postby Zechs » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:42 pm

bkthomson wrote:That was his request. We still have months to go.

Oh okay if Slott desires pre that then that's okay.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:45 pm

Zechs wrote:

Wow Zechs really is Slott's bitch. "Oh, if Mr. Slott wants that, then Mr. Slott gets what Mr. Slott wants. Yessah!"

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:48 pm

Rockman wrote:
That's fine everyone has different tastes.

And some have no taste

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:49 pm

Zechs wrote:

As much as Slott might rib you, I don't think he wants to be on a show where you are wailing and crying the entire time.

I have no such reservations though.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand