Advertisement

I'm Pretty Happy with the X-Men books these days

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Internet Celebrity

I'm Pretty Happy with the X-Men books these days

Postby MoneyMelon » Sat May 03, 2008 12:25 pm

Y'know.......since that Messiah Complex story (which is the best X-Men crossover they've done in a long long time), I've been really enjoying the X-Men books. I think this is the first time since the early 90's where I've been reading all the X-Men books (except Wolverine Origins).

The only weak link so far is Young X-Men and I'm basing that solely on one issue. I think it certainly has potential to improve.

The biggest surprise is I'm enjoying Cable. :shock:

And even X-Force has been pretty cool.

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

Advertisement

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 603 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sat May 03, 2008 6:24 pm

Mike Carey rules so much. As an obscure X-Men fanboy, I'm loving the stuff he's doing.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sat May 03, 2008 8:23 pm

I will have to admit that both Carey and Brubaker are doing a really good job and I've enjoyed all the x books as well. Cable has been my biggest surprise.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Sun May 04, 2008 12:48 am

I'm very happy to see my favorite comic franchise doing so well.

Alex Delarge
Post Whore

Postby Alex Delarge » Sun May 04, 2008 8:46 pm

Having read X-Men for a long while I am not entirely happy with the current state of things.

The story in X-Men: Legacy should be the main storyline. Uncanny seems to be meandering along waiting for issue 500 to hit just to do anything. X:L is actually telling an extremely interesting narrative about the history of the X-Men and Xavier on his quest for closure, acceptance, whatever. X-Men: Legacy is the main prize of the X-titles.

The main problems is that Cable is rather boring, X-Force has little impact, X-Factor is worthless, and Young X-Men is redundant.

There are two problems with Cable. It is slowly paced and the artist is wrong for the title. Whoever did the dramatic scenes between Cable and the baby in Messiah Complex, Chris Bachelo, should be doing this series. Olivetti cannot do action well in my opinion and his cinematography is terrible. The book just doesn't look right and the pacing so far has been too slow.

X-Force is an interesting book. Another book I think that suffers from weirdly painted art, but it kind of works for the grittiness of the title. I think this one personally should have been handled by David Finch instead of Clayton Crain. The plot of the series while interesting, makes the title seem like a throwaway due to the blackops nature of it. The current plot is amazing, but since everything is supposed to be hush-hush I fear nothing will become of it.

X-Factor is doing terrible. An Arcade storyline to follow Messiah Complex? Jesus, PAD, you could have done better. This book truly has no purpose and it shows. I personally believe that X-Men should not be done in Nior, which this book is all about. X-Men is done well in widescreen action, soap opera dramatics, but not Nior....no not Nior.

Young X-Men is just a disaster already. The look of the book is awful. The coloring and inking is atrocious. I enjoy paquette's art, but this is something else entirely. It looks like it was colored in watercolor my god.

WATER COLOR!!!

Plus, the book has several Young X-Men I have absolutely no care for. I has just begun to enjoy most of the New X-Men when they ended the run inexplicably. Bad move.

Not only that but Uncanny. Poor, poor, Uncanny. I saw the solicitations for issue 500. Greg fucking Land. Wow. I am going to buy it since I am an X-Men whore, but Wow. Greg fucking Land. Need anything else be said?

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Sun May 04, 2008 9:20 pm

NO, I think the fact that you said you're going to buy it even though you hate it says it all. ;)

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 603 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun May 04, 2008 9:32 pm

Alex Delarge wrote:Not only that but Uncanny. Poor, poor, Uncanny. I saw the solicitations for issue 500. Greg fucking Land. Wow. I am going to buy it since I am an X-Men whore, but Wow. Greg fucking Land. Need anything else be said?
Yeah, that sucks big time. I think Fraction and Brubaker are writing it, which would be nothing else than solid, but then there's Land...

Alex Delarge
Post Whore

Postby Alex Delarge » Sun May 04, 2008 9:49 pm

Lord Simian wrote:NO, I think the fact that you said you're going to buy it even though you hate it says it all. ;)

Perfect solution:

Wolverine: Origins by Daniel Way and Greg Land.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 433 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun May 04, 2008 10:59 pm

Alex Delarge wrote:WATER COLOR!!!
That's how they used to do the colour seps back in the day.
SHABBA!

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon May 05, 2008 1:03 am

I agree with everything the threadstarter was saying till i got to the part about cable. each issue so far has been dreary monologues, flashbacks with some nice olivetti art and some kinds cliffhanger ending. i give it a look @ my store but its just not my thing.

Shady
cheese

Postby Shady » Mon May 05, 2008 12:18 pm

I think the over all x-line hasn't been this strong in a long time. The only problem I have is that neither title (Uncanny, Astonishing or Legacy) is leading the whole franchise in a direction.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Mon May 05, 2008 9:34 pm

when does the final Wedon issue of Astonishing come out, anyway?

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 433 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon May 05, 2008 10:04 pm

starlord wrote:when does the final Wedon issue of Astonishing come out, anyway?
Around the end of may, 23rd I think.
SHABBA!

Alex Delarge
Post Whore

Postby Alex Delarge » Tue May 06, 2008 8:05 am

Nevermind...I am just going to stop posting from now on... *sigh*

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand