Advertisement

Punk Rock Jesus #2 (I want to be like my dad Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Punk Rock Jesus #2 (I want to be like my dad Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:45 pm

Man, this book is weird. I mean, I wasn’t exactly expecting a series about a clone of Jesus Christ to be conventional, but Sean Murphy is really surprising me here with the kind of story he’s telling. I don’t know what I expected, but it’s not this, and that’s a good thing. There’s a lot of plot in this issue, but the main thrust here is a very vicious satire of reality TV and the very unscrupulous boss of the J2 show, who is just one evil mother-fucker. Not content with taking the second Jesus-clone and killing it, he’s also slipping the mother booze in order to increase ratings. We also get another flash back to Thomas’ childhood in Belfast, which although a bit of a basic interpretation of ‘The Troubles’ makes sense in this pulpy world, there’s no room for shades of grey in this kind of book, heck, you can tell that just from the art. I do wonder how these flashbacks will dovetail with the main plot, what is it about Thomas’ past that means he is working for J2? There’s also development with the scientist, who has made herself pregnant, I assume also with Jesus-dna. There was also a polar bear! This book is just mental, and I’m loving it, I can’t quite believe Warner Brothers is publishing this, nice to see them take a risk in the age of Before Watchmen. Murphy’s art was of course brilliant, but I am continuing to be impressed by his writing, this dude is the full package.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand