Thursday, July 28, 2016 • Evening Edition • "We're the god damn Outhousers."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

A Query #2:What comic changed the way you felt about comics?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:43 pm

Lord Simian wrote:Well, fuck me. There's thirty five bucks out of my pocket. I need that book.

They had me at Deluxe Hardcover, the only two words that mean more to me in the english language are "Absolute Edition"... but your praise means it will get read before a lot of singles that week.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:45 pm

actually now that I think of it...

no words mean as much to me as "EC Leather Bound limited signed and numbered edition"... those words just make me hard.

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:55 pm

There's a few: 100 Bullets, Alias and the Invisibles are what made me ditch the superhero shit over the last few years.

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:29 pm

thefourthman wrote:They had me at Deluxe Hardcover, the only two words that mean more to me in the english language are "Absolute Edition"... but your praise means it will get read before a lot of singles that week.

Camelot 3000 is not as famous as it should be. It was one of the first series by the Big Two to feature really adult themes. It was the FIRST Maxi-Series, I believe.

And it's bloody brilliant writing, coupled with fantastic art by Brian Bolland.

jza1218

Postby jza1218 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:36 pm

DP7

outsider

Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:22 pm

thefourthman wrote:What comic (or Graphic Novel) changed your perception of what a comic could be?
A book that changed my perception of what a comic could be for the better was definitely Sandman. It incorporated so many beautiful concepts and merged them with classical literature and mythological themes in a fantasy setting. And I especially love that it has a definitive ending, as any other literary work does.

Now, on the other end of the appreciation spectrum, Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men changed my perception of what comics can be or are, in that it proved the soap operatic drama is cyclical and rehashes the same ole, same ole from time to time. (In that particular instance, the Danger Room became sentient and attack the X-Men, when merely a few years prior, Joe Kelly had made Cerebro become sentient and attack the X-Men.)

daitong

penile prisoner

Postby daitong » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:44 pm

Gruewald's Squadron Supreme. Claremont and Paul Smith on Uncanny X-Men. Preacher series. Dark Knight Returns. Maus. Frank Miller's Daredevil. These are the stories that did it for me.

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:46 pm

daitong wrote:Gruewald's Squadron Supreme. Claremont and Paul Smith on Uncanny X-Men. Preacher series. Dark Knight Returns. Maus. Frank Miller's Daredevil. These are the stories that did it for me.

Couple of REALLY good calls in there, El Sopa Grande.

I have long been on record as thinking that MAUS should be taught in school.

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:49 pm

Actually, most recently, One More Day changed the way I felt about comics -- it encouraged me to drop most of the superhero books I was reading.

I spend more on Vertigo and independent books now.

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:03 pm

Lord Simian wrote:Couple of REALLY good calls in there, El Sopa Grande.

I have long been on record as thinking that MAUS should be taught in school.
It's taught in the first year narrative courses at my school. Depends on the prof though. One of them teaches Dark Knight Returns as well.

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:05 pm

Keb wrote:It's taught in the first year narrative courses at my school. Depends on the prof though. One of them teaches Dark Knight Returns as well.

Good, but I want more.

I want it taught in American middle schools, in world history classes, alongside NIGHT.

daitong

penile prisoner

Postby daitong » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:06 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Actually, most recently, One More Day changed the way I felt about comics -- it encouraged me to drop most of the superhero books I was reading.

I spend more on Vertigo and independent books now.

Infinite Crisis made me drop comics (with Civil War also helping out a bit).

I want to get back into it, but I find deciding what to buy a daunting task right now.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:06 pm

Lord Simian wrote:Good, but I want more.

I want it taught in American middle schools, in world history classes, alongside NIGHT.

It was taught last year at my daughter's Middle School.

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:12 pm

thefourthman wrote:It was taught last year at my daughter's Middle School.

That's awesome, and a wonderful start! :D

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:14 pm

Grant Morrison's X-Men run-Brilliant on every conceivable level.

BKV's run on Runaways-Lovely art, great plotting and characters that he made into instant classics.

leave a comment with facebook