Advertisement

Quick, random question: Would you have death in comics?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: Quick, random question: Would you have death in comics?

Postby Arion » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:38 pm

Spektre wrote:
Close but no.

They were for a short time thanks to Mekanique, but they vanished shortly thereafter.

Ah, Mekanique... What happened to the character? Lost in limbo for decades?

Advertisement

MikeinLA
crash test dummy

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby MikeinLA » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:39 pm

If you count stories where a character died but was almost immediately brought back by some nigh omnipotent cosmic force (Korvac, the Beyonder, the Infinity Gauntlet) pretty much every major Marvel character has taken at least one dirt nap.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:56 pm

MikeinLA wrote:If you count stories where a character died but was almost immediately brought back by some nigh omnipotent cosmic force (Korvac, the Beyonder, the Infinity Gauntlet) pretty much every major Marvel character has taken at least one dirt nap.

Well, I haven't read Infinity Wars so for me that never happened...

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 403 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:02 pm

john lewis hawk wrote: I don't understand how I'm supposed to take Thanos, Darkseid, and every other Marvel and DC villain seriously

A cosmic wedgie is no laughing matter

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:09 pm

Amoebas wrote:Oh come on. You refuse to accept the Hulk died and went to Hel (which he did), and then you try to sell that Spidey was killed dead in Kraven's Last Hunt (when the story clearly established he was only tranq'ed)?

What's happened to you Chap?

early-onset selective senility. at least Spidey stayed "dead" for longer than an issue. :wink:
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Spektre
dINGO

Liked in: 111 posts

Postby Spektre » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:59 am

Arion wrote:
Ah, Mekanique... What happened to the character? Lost in limbo for decades?

A different character with her name and looks made a few appearances post Crisis. Nothing consequential.
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 53 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:31 am

HNutz wrote:I don't remember if Cyclops was actually dead or just believed dead after the whole Apocalypse possession thing...

No, but Whedon definitely killed him.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 384 posts

Postby HNutz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:06 am

Zero wrote:
No, but Whedon definitely killed him.

While we're on the topic...

Havok "died" in an explosion but his soul somehow possessed the Alex Summers of a parallel world.
Multiple Man "died" from the Legacy virus but it turns out that was just a dupe and "Madrox Prime" was walking around with amnesia. And then there's the "They Keep Killing Madrox" story...
Strong Guy died but was brought back by Layla. He came back soulless, however, and is now a Lord of Hell.
M died (Strong Guy beat the hell out of her) but was brought back.
Alex's dad Corsair was believed dead for years but actually died not too long ago. I think he's one of the few who'll stay dead, though.
Wolverine "died" in combat (but this was a Skrull) and died/went to Hell under Aaron. Would he be considered "dead" that time Nitro reduced him to a skeleton?

Oh yeah, and Captain America, the FF, Spider-Man, the X-Men, etc. all died in Secret Wars but Colossus was able to revive them (probably with some subconscious help from Dr. Doom/Beyonder). Cap died a few times in that last fight, didn't he?

But I don't think we should count these mass deaths, just like we're not counting the Infinity Gauntlet deaths/resurrections, right?

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 57 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:47 pm

Ha! Just being reminded of all these deaths -- I haven't read Secret Wars in, what...25 years? -- makes me realize that this industry...

It's such a fun hobby when it's done well. When the characters are handled responsibly, when there is a degree of consistency.

You know, it wouldn't be so...pointless...if you got the impression, as Herald said, that the heroes could competently defend themselves. But you so rarely get that anymore, if at all, it just makes it that much more...silly.

Comic books are a funny thing. There's great stories to be told, and money to be made. There was a shot taken at nostalgia earlier in this thread, but Iron Man 3's cleared a billion dollars worldwide. A BILLION DOLLARS. That's what nostalgia can do for you.

I guess what I see is that the scales are too tilted in favor of the villains, while writers still want to have the heroes play the fool, to the detriment of their characters.

For example, it's viewed as "too real" if the heroes work together consistently, don't have "misunderstanding fights," work with the government and police agencies. That's viewed as not fun.

But it's totally OK for the villains to have these sprawling networks of operatives and databases and strongholds, all waiting to be unleashed on the unsuspecting good guys and their loved ones and civilians, because they are too busy doing nothing that would be viewed as common sense, considering...you know that The Joker's out there plotting to kill you.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 420 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:52 pm

HNutz wrote:Colossus was able to revive them (probably with some subconscious help from Dr. Doom/Beyonder).
The Beyonder was feeding quarters into the machine.

Sidebar:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
I found this while searching for the above image.
Holy shit, I want that on a t-shirt!
-

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:57 pm

Iron Man 3 didn't earn that money because of nostalgia. :roll:

Most of those people buying tickets never have and never will read an Iron Man comic book, no matter how many times some of you mopes can go see the same movie over and over again in a month.

Iron Man franchise made that kind of money because of Robert Downey Jr, and the Money Men agree judging from the unprecedented kinds of deals he made to star in them.

For example, it's viewed as "too real" if the heroes work together consistently, don't have "misunderstanding fights," work with the government and police agencies. That's viewed as not fun.

But it's totally OK for the villains to have these sprawling networks of operatives and databases and strongholds, all waiting to be unleashed on the unsuspecting good guys and their loved ones and civilians, because they are too busy doing nothing that would be viewed as common sense, considering...you know that The Joker's out there plotting to kill you.

Ummm....S.H.I.E.L.D.? Soon to have its own TV show?

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 57 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:53 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Iron Man 3 didn't earn that money because of nostalgia. :roll:

That's the single-most ridiculous thing you've ever said on here.

That's like saying "Star Trek" isn't based on nostalgia -- when they rebooted to the adventures of Kirk and Spock. What does "Star Wars" run on?

All of it is nostalgia-driven. Just because you want to push your narrative that people would have lined up to see Robert Downey Jr. if he had played the role of "Tony Jones" in "The Amazing Aluminum Foil Man" doesn't make it true, chief.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:27 pm

Spektre wrote:
A different character with her name and looks made a few appearances post Crisis. Nothing consequential.

Ah, I kind of liked her old golden-she-robot look.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 420 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:46 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
That's the single-most ridiculous thing you've ever said on here.

That's like saying "Star Trek" isn't based on nostalgia -- when they rebooted to the adventures of Kirk and Spock. What does "Star Wars" run on?

All of it is nostalgia-driven. Just because you want to push your narrative that people would have lined up to see Robert Downey Jr. if he had played the role of "Tony Jones" in "The Amazing Aluminum Foil Man" doesn't make it true, chief.

The only nostalgia at play for IM3 is based on RDJr in IM, IM2 & Avengers; a tee-tiny (pretty much insignificant) section of the audience had any nostalgia for the comic book character.
-

Spektre
dINGO

Liked in: 111 posts

Postby Spektre » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:16 am

I don't know that nostalgia is the right word, but I'm with ESF on this.

Go out there and make a movie about Odin and see if it makes as much as Thor did.

Maybe nostalgia is only half right, with some name recognition thrown in there.
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand