Advertisement

Quick, random question: Would you have death in comics?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1037 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Re: Quick, random question: Would you have death in comics?

Postby outsider » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:32 am

Spektre wrote:Go out there and make a movie about Odin and see if it makes as much as Thor did.
Odin hasn't had his own title like Thor did.
Odin has always been a supporting character.

Hmmm... you're making an apples & oranges comparison. Maybe you're a Jude alias? :lol:
-

Advertisement

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 124 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:29 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Iron Man 3 didn't earn that money because of nostalgia. :roll:

Most of those people buying tickets never have and never will read an Iron Man comic book, no matter how many times some of you mopes can go see the same movie over and over again in a month.

Iron Man franchise made that kind of money because of Robert Downey Jr, and the Money Men agree judging from the unprecedented kinds of deals he made to star in them.

Ummm....S.H.I.E.L.D.? Soon to have its own TV show?

Indeed. We can have one million guys going to the movies, but not even 10% of that audience will actually buy an Iron Man comic.

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:28 pm

It should have more. Anyone who thinks you should remove death is an idiot.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 72 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:00 am

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, because while Iron Man is definitely not as well known as Spider-Man -- I think many of you underestimate the reach of the actual character into mainstream consciousness over nearly 50 years of publication.

Just say Iron Man sold 20,000 comics each year for those 50 years. Obviously, he sold more. But let's go really, really low, and say that the character only sold 20,000 comics every year.

That, in and of itself, is 1,000,000 comic books published and sold with Tony Stark.

Again, just soak that in: With that ridiculously low number, just books titled "Iron Man" have been published and sold ONE MILLION TIMES.

Not talking appearances in books like Avengers, or on cartoons. Just books titled "Iron Man."

I think you guys underestimate just how many people, how many casual readers, have seen an issue of "Iron Man" in their life who knew exactly what they were going to see when they went to the first movie. Not every person saves a copy in a longbox for years and years.

But Iron Man wasn't nearly as tough a sell as you guys are making it out to be.

Now, Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man? I'm telling you now, those are going to be a hell of a lot harder to sell than Iron Man was. That's just the math behind reach projections.

I am extremely curious to see how Guardians of the Galaxy does. Extremely curious.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Spektre
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 341 posts

Postby Spektre » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:09 am

outsider wrote:Odin hasn't had his own title like Thor did.
Odin has always been a supporting character.

Hmmm... you're making an apples & oranges comparison. Maybe you're a Jude alias? :lol:

Wait. So nostalgia had nothing to do with it...only fond feelings over a character that has had his own title, as opposed to one who "has always (in the past) been a supporting character."

Um...sounds like nostalgia to me.
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 646 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:13 am

No doubt that nostalgia played a part in the IM movie success.

People collectively know or have heard of Iron Man (most middle agers can probably sing the cartoon song).

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:32 am

Spektre wrote:Wait. So nostalgia had nothing to do with it
With Iron Man 3 doing well? NOPE. RDJr & company were the reason IM3 did well, not nostalgia for the comics.

Spektre wrote:...only fond feelings over a character that has had his own title, as opposed to one who "has always (in the past) been a supporting character."

Um...sounds like nostalgia to me.
I never said "fond feelings over a character", good try though. Supporting character vs. leading character does affect a project getting greenlit. Thor or Iron Man would get a shot at a solo movie long before Odin or Happy.
-

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:35 am

Amoebas wrote:No doubt that nostalgia played a part in the IM movie success.

People collectively know or have heard of Iron Man (most middle agers can probably sing the cartoon song).
WAit, I think there are different points being debated.

Iron Man 3's success = 99.99% due to RDJr and the Avengers movie
Iron Man 2's success = that kickass opening sequence in Monaco with the suitcase armor 8)
Iron Man 1's success = mostly fluke with *some* nostalgia/passing fondness for the character (I'd attribute 20% of ticket sales to that, but that's probably a very high estimate)
-

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1021 posts

Postby HNutz » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:49 am

Iron Man 3's success = RDJr and the Avengers movie
Iron Man 2's success = RDJr and the goodwill generated by the first movie
Iron Man 1's success = RDJr and the fact that it was a FUN superhero movie

I think nostalgia played a small percentage, if any, with Iron Man being a hit.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:56 am

HNutz wrote:Iron Man 3's success = RDJr and the Avengers movie
Iron Man 2's success = RDJr and the goodwill generated by the first movie
Iron Man 1's success = RDJr and the fact that it was a FUN superhero movie

I think nostalgia played a small percentage, if any, with Iron Man being a hit.
Add in a suitcase armor reference for IM2 and I'll sponsor your bill, Senator HNutz! 8)

(and some pork, because... well, everybody loves bacon.)
-

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:20 am

Jubilee wrote:It should have more. Anyone who thinks you should remove death is an idiot.

STFU, Twigglet!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:36 am

Again, some of you are overstating exactly where Robert Downey Jr.'s career was before "Iron Man."

Was he good in it? Certainly. And that's a credit to him. If he was awful in it, as Ryan Reynolds was in Green Lantern, that might've killed the potential franchise.

But that was the start of a career resurgence, not the pinnacle of it. Getting people in the door for that first one -- again, if Robert Downey Jr. is playing "Tony Jones, the Invincible Tin Foil Man," don't tell me that this conversation is being held.

Again, I know people on this board hate to say, "Oh, OK. Yeah, I see that."

But it's obvious that Iron Man, as a property, had enough familiarity with a mass audience that it could be successful.

It can be both. You need the property just as much as the performer, and the reason people care about the property is because, well, nostalgia dictates that.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:04 am

People intially went to Iron Man because it was the start of 2008's summer movie season, comic book movies do good business and it had good/great trailers.

Iron Man was a sucess because of RDJ killing it and the story being awesome.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:12 am

Jack Burton wrote:People intially went to Iron Man because it was the start of 2008's summer movie season, comic book movies do good business and it had good/great trailers.

Iron Man was a sucess because of RDJ killing it and the story being awesome.

Exactly -- but you can't state the phrase "comic book movies do good business" and not examine exactly what that means. Why do comic book movies do good business?

Nostalgia for the medium, the property involved. Familiarity of, and with, concept.

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:18 am

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Exactly -- but you can't state the phrase "comic book movies do good business" and not examine exactly what that means. Why do comic book movies do good business?

Nostalgia for the medium, the property involved. Familiarity of, and with, concept.

I'd argue it's probably more that they sold the movie well and it was a good movie. Not a pile of horsecrap. Being the first summer movie out of the block and it not looking like complete crap were it's biggest factors imo.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand