Advertisement

Randy Queen Backs Down from Threatening Blogs Who Criticize His Artwork

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 228 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:01 am

The artist had previously used DMCA takedowns and legal threats to attack blogs that criticized him.

Source: Facebook

Earlier this week, we reported on Randy Queen's alleged attempts to use the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) and legal threats to silence blogs such as Escher Girls who criticized his artwork.  Today, Queen issued the following statement regarding his actions:

Just wanted to clear up a few things that happened this past week. I have been having a very hard time in my personal life with the loss of my mother and my marriage having fallen apart and found myself in a very vulnerable and fragile state of mind. There were posts on the web criticizing my artwork that were brought to my attention and added to my stress. I reacted without thinking it through, but have now stopped, realizing my response was the wrong one to take. I am doing my best, each day, to get myself back on my feet and getting my life in a better place and realize now that I have just try to move on and get back to my art, the thing I find the most joy in these days. I want to thank those professionals, friends and family who have been giving me their support, understanding and love. 

In related news, Tumblr has partially restored the Escher Girls posts that were removed after Queen filed takedown notices against them.  The text of those posts remains intact, but the images are still removed. 

The site owner of Escher Girls, Ami, also posted a handy timeline of events on her personal blog last night regarding the recent controversy.  In the blog, she also noted that Ken from Popehat had put her in touch with legal counsel.  I know I was a bit confused about the initial scope of the threats and emails (something that Ami helpfully pointed out and corrected), so if you want a concise timeline, that's the place to go.  It hasn't been updated with today's apology, but I think it's always good to get an accurate recounting of events from one of the central figures of this whole thing. 

I hope that this marks the end of this silliness.  Legal threats, even laughable ones made on shaky legal ground, are always stressful and I'm glad that Escher Girls and their readership were able to rally and overcome this.  

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Scintillant-H
Post Whore

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: Glitter Bitch
Formerly: Hal Shumaker

Re: Randy Queen Backs Down from Threatening Blogs Who Critic

Postby Scintillant-H » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:11 am

I notice how he doesn't say that he hopes they put the blogs back up and/ or that they had the right to make the blogs in the first place. :lol: Har.

I have no idea if the things he says about his life is true, but we get shit like this a lot on deviantART. Someone goes way too far and when a LOT of people call them on it, they back off then say "oh, uh, it wasn't really my fault, it was... personal stuff." Usually it's really obvious when they're lying. :roll:

If he's really going through shit, though, I wish him the best on that one.

HNutz likes this post.

Belle-Tain Summer
Inhouser

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby Belle-Tain Summer » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:24 am

There were posts on the web criticizing my artwork that were brought to my attention and added to my stress. I reacted without thinking it through, but have now stopped

Oh dear god, is he seriously trying the "its your fault for making me mad at you" gambit with this fauxpology? Real apology or GTFO!

Supersoldier Washout
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 192 posts
Location: I can't really say. I'm currently what they call "AWOL" from S.H.I.E.L.D.
Title: Will Fight for Beer

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:26 am

Soooo.....

I think it's a good apology. The type that Michael Richards should have made when he responded to hecklers with racially charged words.

But...

Was his apology truthful and sincere? I mean, we all have (or will have) rough spots in life where we find it difficult to deal with other aspects. It's totally relatable. And he admits he was wrong.

Or...

Did he discover he didn't have a leg to stand on and was just making himself look like an ass and this apology is an attempt to, while admitting to being wrong, also garner sympathy and understanding? It's a very smart response any decent P.R. rep would advise their client to make.
Easily annoyed by jackassery

Belle-Tain Summer
Inhouser

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby Belle-Tain Summer » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:34 am

Supersoldier Washout wrote:Soooo.....

I think it's a good apology.

Not really, he's making it all about him. He's proffering a platter of excuses, then saying that other people wrote stuff that made him feel mad and that its not really his fault because of that, then turning it into a drama all about himself.

Its a pretty poor apology. A good apology goes "I was wrong. I am sorry for my actions. I will endeavor to make restitution to those my actions hurt (in this case it is helping those people whose work he forced offline goes back online). I will do my best never to behave like that again". This was not that apology.

All that stuff about how he needs a waaa-mbulance because of his personal torment. That is not needed and just an attempt to score sympathy for his poor behavior instead of actually dealing with the effects of his poor behavior. The focus of any apology should be on the people he is apologising to, and what he is going to do to sort matters.

2 people like this post.

birdpants
Faster Pussycat

Liked in: 1 post

Postby birdpants » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:29 pm

What a gutless non-apology.

Look, Randy sweetie, apologies are for the people you hurt: They're generally structured like this:
1. I did something wrong.
2. This is how it was wrong.
3. I'm sorry I did this to you.

Randy's apology:
1. I was sad :'(
2. I did something wrong but it was because I was sad!!!
3. Me me me me me me!!!! :'(((((

Like... Ami didn't know about your personal life and your marriage back when she made those posts. And they're really not relevant to the fact that you terrorized someone with false DMCA notices and threats of a lawsuit. Even if it was the equivalent of threatening her with a butter knife. Still threats. You can still poke someone pretty good with a well-aimed butter knife, and a frivolous lawsuit is still time, money and stress. There is no excuse for lashing out this way no matter how fragile you're feeling.

Ami deserves a real apology. Randy... maybe he should look into counseling?

Scintillant-H likes this post.

Supersoldier Washout
Rorshach Test Subject

Location: I can't really say. I'm currently what they call "AWOL" from S.H.I.E.L.D.

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:30 pm

Belle-Tain Summer wrote:
Not really, he's making it all about him. He's proffering a platter of excuses, then saying that other people wrote stuff that made him feel mad and that its not really his fault because of that, then turning it into a drama all about himself.

Its a pretty poor apology. A good apology goes "I was wrong. I am sorry for my actions. I will endeavor to make restitution to those my actions hurt (in this case it is helping those people whose work he forced offline goes back online). I will do my best never to behave like that again". This was not that apology.

All that stuff about how he needs a waaa-mbulance because of his personal torment. That is not needed and just an attempt to score sympathy for his poor behavior instead of actually dealing with the effects of his poor behavior. The focus of any apology should be on the people he is apologising to, and what he is going to do to sort matters.

Good points. He did say he took the "wrong action" but you're right, he never acknowledged the people he wronged. You rarely get that in celebrity (even minor ones) or politician apologies. Guess I've come to expect crap like this. (Better check myself before I wreck myself). Maybe, and that's a big maybe, he sent apologies to everyone he's threatened.

But totally the latter part of my post, just trying to garner sympathy.

Beige Lantern
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Galactic Decorator

Postby Beige Lantern » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:32 pm

I don't really see how "I became emotionally unstable and couldn't get my shit together which resulted in me taking it out on strangers" is making excuses or a non-apology. It certainly doesn't make him look any better in my eyes, except that he's not doing it anymore.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world - "No, you move." - Captain America

Scintillant-H
Post Whore

Liked in: 80 posts
Title: Glitter Bitch
Formerly: Hal Shumaker

Postby Scintillant-H » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:37 pm

I love it when things turn into shitfests. :outhouse: :lol:

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:28 pm

Beige Lantern wrote:I don't really see how "I became emotionally unstable and couldn't get my shit together which resulted in me taking it out on strangers" is making excuses or a non-apology. It certainly doesn't make him look any better in my eyes, except that he's not doing it anymore.

Well, maybe it's a non-apology because there's no apology anwhere in that statement.

"I have had a bad few weeks. I did some bad stuff, but that's over now. I wanna thank my friends."

There's nothing even tangentially related to an apology. At best it's a half-assed justification for his behavior, which wasn't REALLY my fault you guys, cause my mom died and my marriage fell apart, so obviously I'M the one in need of support, not the blogger whose work I had removed and who I threatened.

Rob Thompson
cheese

Liked in: 649 posts
Title: Soldier. Teacher.

Postby Rob Thompson » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:05 pm

Ah -- the "I am sorry my actions are causing me trouble" apology.
"Observe. Orient. Decide. Act."

Scintillant-H likes this post.

Supersoldier Washout
Rorshach Test Subject

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:30 pm

ArnimZagarian
Faster Pussycat

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ArnimZagarian » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:16 pm

I'm sorry I created shitty "art" for you guys to mock and tried to forbid you to. My anatomically-unrealistic wife left me and it's all your fault, fandom!

Bianco
cheese

Liked in: 86 posts

Postby Bianco » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:10 pm

He backed down faster than a DC Warner release date

3 people like this post.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 948 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie