Advertisement

Remember when Cassaday used to be good ?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: Remember when Cassaday used to be good ?

Postby chap22 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:14 pm

habitual wrote:
Chris just because you say it doesn't make it true :lol:

Seriously you're being an idiot, we might be able to come up with a Punchy/Chap hybrid that's more capable of being wrong, but, right now you're winning Charlie Sheen style :D

J.H. Williams is the only person on that list I'd consider seriously.

Hab

Look, I don't agree with nearly everybody on Chris's list, but saying only one person on his list is worth considering is asinine. Even in his prime (and you have to admit, yes, even YOU have to admit, this ain't his prime), I'd put Cassaday behind several of those guys, like Williams, Alan Davis, Jiminez, Marcos Martin, Perez, and a few others. And I'd DAMN sure put him behind them and a bunch more now that he's putting out lesser work than he did in his prime (and still struggling to meet a deadline while doing so).

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 49 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:25 pm

Every one of the people on that list puts their best foot forward everytime they put out a comic.

As talented as Cassaday is -- because I'm sure he didn't just forget how to draw since Planetary -- there's not really any denying that he's gotten sloppy.

I will take someone who may not be as talented, but is more technically proficient at their job than a guy who can't be bothered to deliver work on time, and does it half-assed at that.

This isn't early-to-mid 2000's Cassaday we're seeing. And we're not comparing body of work. We're talking about his work right now.. and it's far from anything special.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 200 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:31 pm

chap22 wrote:Look, I don't agree with nearly everybody on Chris's list, but saying only one person on his list is worth considering is asinine. Even in his prime (and you have to admit, yes, even YOU have to admit, this ain't his prime), I'd put Cassaday behind several of those guys, like Williams, Alan Davis, Jiminez, Marcos Martin, Perez, and a few others. And I'd DAMN sure put him behind them and a bunch more now that he's putting out lesser work than he did in his prime (and still struggling to meet a deadline while doing so).

Trust me on this, no one is more disappointed than me by what he's cranking out now. He's never been good with deadlines and honestly I've never really cared because it was always worth the wait. I would counter that Avengers notwithstanding he has very few weak points as an artist and his covers have been among the best if not the best year in and year out. His work on Astonishing is some of my favorite X-men art of all time.

Fiona Staples is making a run at him right now :lol:

Hab

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:48 pm

habitual wrote:
Trust me on this, no one is more disappointed than me by what he's cranking out now. He's never been good with deadlines and honestly I've never really cared because it was always worth the wait. I would counter that Avengers notwithstanding he has very few weak points as an artist and his covers have been among the best if not the best year in and year out. His work on Astonishing is some of my favorite X-men art of all time.

Fiona Staples is making a run at him right now :lol:

Hab

His covers are good, but so long as there is a real person named James Jean, Casaday's covers have never been THE best year in, year out. And regardless, I don't count covers as comic art for purposes of this discussion anyway...the whole point of the comic book is sequential storytelling...a pretty pinup just don't cut it IMO.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:29 pm

habitual wrote:
That's true, but, I think that's straight up crazy talk when it comes to Cassaday.

This guy has done some of the best covers in the business, his Lone Ranger and Buck Rogers were awesome.

Hab

He's suited to covers. His style is very static. His art doesn't move. Without his colorist, he's pretty bland. Laura Martin is also a great colorist. Vibrant colors make any artist really stand out.

His faces are weird too. He doe great eye expressions but his noises look piggy and mouths are kinda weird too at times.

Chris just dissed you with that list. Man the fuck up and admit defeat.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:29 am

Keb wrote:He's suited to covers. His style is very static. His art doesn't move. Without his colorist, he's pretty bland. Laura Martin is also a great colorist. Vibrant colors make any artist really stand out.

His faces are weird too. He doe great eye expressions but his noises look piggy and mouths are kinda weird too at times.

I'm not at home now (wine drunk at the moment) but tomorrow when I'm home and sober I will post some stuff that will refute your static assertion.

Chris, I somewhat agree with your consistency point as far as covers go but some of his Line Ranger covers were bad ass.

Hab

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:45 am

Keb wrote:He's suited to covers. His style is very static. His art doesn't move. Without his colorist, he's pretty bland. Laura Martin is also a great colorist. Vibrant colors make any artist really stand out.

I'm not at home now (wine drunk at the moment) but tomorrow when I'm home and sober I will post some stuff that will refute your static assertion.

Chris, I somewhat agree with your consistency point as far as covers go but some of his Line Ranger covers were bad ass.

Hab

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 177 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:06 am

I think Hab is arguing for the sake of arguing at this point. :lol:

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 49 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:36 am

doombug wrote:I think Hab is arguing for the sake of arguing at this point. :lol:

At this point? That's all Hab ever does. :D

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 171 posts

Postby dairydead » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:19 am

Chris wrote:I liked Cassaday back in the day, but it's time to stop drinking the kool aid. To say his rushed faces, and weird perspectives are better than 95% of art in comics right now is ridiculous.

This.

are we now supposed to pretend that there is somehow a lack of quality artists working in comics now? :lol:
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:32 am

Hab was drunk on sneaky pete. That ol' fortified wine will make you say just about anything.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Postby dairydead » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:43 pm

Jubilee wrote:Art is clearly subjective. You can't call someone an idiot for disagreeing with you.

In a way it is, but its important to discern personal opinion from actual quality. Quality is not subjective.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 232 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:05 pm

dairydead wrote:
In a way it is, but its important to discern personal opinion from actual quality. Quality is not subjective.

There is an extent to which that depends as well. For instance, Steve Wacker will tell you that Humberto Ramos is a quality artist, while I will disagree most fervently.

Either way, Twigg's point stands: you can't really call someone an idiot for liking different artists.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:08 pm

doombug wrote:I think Hab is arguing for the sake of arguing at this point. :lol:

doombug meet Hab. :lol:

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Postby dairydead » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:02 pm

nietoperz wrote:There is an extent to which that depends as well. For instance, Steve Wacker will tell you that Humberto Ramos is a quality artist, while I will disagree most fervently.

Either way, Twigg's point stands: you can't really call someone an idiot for liking different artists.

absolutely. I realize Twigg's point still stands, but i just saw his post as an opportunity to share something I have had on my mind recently.

Interestingly enough, Ramos is an artist that has gotten worse throughout the years; much like Cassaday.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand