Advertisement

Review: 300 the Movie

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

Review: 300 the Movie

Postby LOLtron » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:11 am

300 Director: Zack K. Snyder Main Actors: Gerald Butler, Lena Hedley, David Wenham Adapted from the Frank Miller graphic novel http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/ Review by dairydead Well, the time has come, and the hour of the 300 is upon us. Zack Snyder’s epic “300” is released upon the country this weekend, and with great force. The past few months have seen constant bombardment of [...]

Uncle Sam300
Director: Zack K. Snyder
Main Actors: Gerald Butler, Lena Hedley, David Wenham
Adapted from the Frank Miller graphic novel
http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/
Review by dairydead

Well, the time has come, and the hour of the 300 is upon us.

Zack Snyder’s epic “300” is released upon the country this weekend, and with great force. The past few months have seen constant bombardment of advertising, even with a MySpace collaboration. But does it live up to the hype, and more importantly the classic Miller/Varley tale?Â

Well having recently read the book, a lot of the scenes were still fresh in my mind, which helped in referencing the scenes in the movie. And i am happy to say that , not unlike Sin City, most key scenes are duplicated exactly.

Now, it is an understatement to say that this is a beautiful movie. I have seen my fair share of movies, but the film’s visuals come across as more as a series of paintings. Although that looks good, sometimes it feels as though the entire movie is just a montage put to pseudo-orchestra-rock music. While it certainly brings a viewer in, it will positively turn some audiences away.

Having said that, i think it is important to say that “300” is not for everyone. While the gore could be a little much, the entire thing is shot like a music video. One who does not enjoy gratuitous slow motion and fast motion shots should steer clear from the movie. It seems at certain points, certain scenes were made just so they could play music to sync up with it, which is somewhat weak. The entire movie comes across as a giant music video at many points. Even so, the fight scenes are wonderful, as is the special effects, which are top-notch.

There are also some added parts, such as an entire sub-plot involving Leonidas’s wife, which moves at about a snail’s pace, and almost threatens to ruin the entire pacing of the movie. If you enjoy the source material, there is not much to dislike about this movie, since it follows the plot exactly, the characters are spot on, and it perfectly captures the feel of the book, if not lightening the mood a little.

All in all, I would definetly recommend this to people, but with a disclaimer, knowing that this movie is definetly not for everyone.

To discuss.

Posted originally: 2007-03-09 15:11:03

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/television-movies-music/movies/movie-reviews/1917-review-300-the-movie.html/
Last edited by LOLtron on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand