Advertisement

Review: Action Comics #3

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Review: Action Comics #3

Postby Starlord » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:28 pm

This is only the second time I've enjoyed a Grant Morrison book this much. The First time was All-Star Superman. Grant and Kal-El have got it going on!!!

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:06 pm

chap22 wrote:well then, to play devil's advocate, by that logic, wouldn't a very large percentage of the stories done by WB Animation have been "stolen" from DC Comics? yet i don't see anyone taking them to task for that.

WB Animation pays DC to use those DC characters and concepts.
DC isn't paying WB Animation to use the "Brainiac helped destroy Krypton" idea.

creators who are far better than [Morrison] is. :D

On that, we agree. :D

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:57 am

chap22 wrote:i just don't see the uproar.

That's because you're somewhat rational. Others are reaching.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 151 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:30 am

mrorangesoda wrote:
That's because you're somewhat rational. Others are reaching.

It's not about lifting ideas from the animated series for me in general, it's the idea that was supposedly lifted that matters.

Having Brainiac destroy Krypton (and I'm not so sure that's fully going to happen yet. This could just be him stealing Kandor) takes a little something away from the Superman mythos.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:50 am

The Nacireman wrote:
It's not about lifting ideas from the animated series for me in general, it's the idea that was supposedly lifted that matters.

Having Brainiac destroy Krypton (and I'm not so sure that's fully going to happen yet. This could just be him stealing Kandor) takes a little something away from the Superman mythos.

This is about him stealing Kandor from a dying world. The fact that he's now trying to steal something from Earth should tell you something about Earth.

But as far as the issue goes...

After two solid comics in a row, Morrison slips into Morrison-isms and general craziness. Morales' art is getting sketchier and some panels just seem out of place (there's at least one or two panels at the bottom of a page that have nothing to do with anything on the page or the next and everything seems to leap around on a whim). This whole thing is still... good. It could just need some tightening up and probably a stronger editor.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:15 am

SuperginraiX wrote:This is about him stealing Kandor from a dying world. The fact that he's now trying to steal something from Earth should tell you something about Earth.

But as far as the issue goes...

After two solid comics in a row, Morrison slips into Morrison-isms and general craziness. Morales' art is getting sketchier and some panels just seem out of place (there's at least one or two panels at the bottom of a page that have nothing to do with anything on the page or the next and everything seems to leap around on a whim). This whole thing is still... good. It could just need some tightening up and probably a stronger editor.

What I said about Brainiac possibly destroying Kandorwas going off what was written in the the review. The book certainly didn't get to him actually completing the task.So that's still up in the air.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:55 pm

The Nacireman wrote:
What I said about Brainiac possibly destroying Kandorwas going off what was written in the the review. The book certainly didn't get to him actually completing the task.So that's still up in the air.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
I'm pretty positive he didn't destroy it at all. Braniac ordered the robots to begin dwarf star lensing. What's the one thing that dwarf stars/lenses can do in the DCU?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:51 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:

I hope Brainac just came and shrank Kandor. Krypton needs to blow up on it's own, or have it's destruction caused by the Kryptonians themselves by some reason.

- Sons of the Desert

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:39 am

Another very strong issue for this title, I really am loving this new take on Superman. The opening sequence set on Krypton was interesting, and I liked how similar the culture was to ours, and yet how different. Plus it was wonderfully drawn by Gene Ha who is one of my favourite artists. The stuff in ‘the present’ was a little bit disjointed however, like that one panel of Clark being freaked out by a homeless dude, which seemed really out of place. That said, it was great to see Morrison explore in greater depth how Clark Kent is as a reporter, and the scene between Clark and the cops was really great. I wonder who the mysterious voice on the other end of that phonecall was? Bruce Wayne? Perry White? Who?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:55 am

Punchy wrote:Another very strong issue for this title, I really am loving this new take on Superman. The opening sequence set on Krypton was interesting, and I liked how similar the culture was to ours, and yet how different. Plus it was wonderfully drawn by Gene Ha who is one of my favourite artists. The stuff in ‘the present’ was a little bit disjointed however, like that one panel of Clark being freaked out by a homeless dude, which seemed really out of place. That said, it was great to see Morrison explore in greater depth how Clark Kent is as a reporter, and the scene between Clark and the cops was really great. I wonder who the mysterious voice on the other end of that phonecall was? Bruce Wayne? Perry White? Who?

1) Kryptonian culture being similar to ours was kinda lame. Morrison's Krypton seems way too generic sci-fi than a truly alien culture. I expect more from Grant. Major league disappointment there. Byrne's Krypton is still the superior version.

2) "it was great to see Morrison explore in greater depth how Clark Kent is as a reporter"
Yeah, it was actually nice to see Clark on the job, but still it seemed like he was using his job as a front for looking for trouble.

- Sons of the Desert

MikeinLA
Flying Mongoose

Liked in: 51 posts

Postby MikeinLA » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:39 pm

I didn't get the impression that Brainiac was going to destroy Krypton at all. He was just there to gather data and artifacts from the planet before it blew up. As for the idea being cribbed from the cartoon, remember in that story Brainiac was Jor-El's computer, not an outside intelligence, who fudged data to discredit his creator out of self-preservation. Brainiac was worried if the Krypton Science Council learned the truth about their planet dying it would be put to work trying to come up with ways to stop the catastrophe which would keep it from planning its escape). The whole "cataloging and destroying worlds schtick came afterwards.

Back to the comic itself. I thought it was very good. The scene with Clark being hassled by the cops showed he still has an idealistic side, though his appeals to their better natures are still being couched by the smug sense of moral certitude twenty somethings are known for. And the hint that Krypto might still be out there made me very happy. Looking forward to the next part.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 935 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:24 pm

MikeinLA wrote:
I didn't get the impression that Brainiac was going to destroy Krypton at all. He was just there to gather data and artifacts from the planet before it blew up. As for the idea being cribbed from the cartoon, remember in that story Brainiac was Jor-El's computer, not an outside intelligence, who fudged data to discredit his creator out of self-preservation. Brainiac was worried if the Krypton Science Council learned the truth about their planet dying it would be put to work trying to come up with ways to stop the catastrophe which would keep it from planning its escape). The whole "cataloging and destroying worlds schtick came afterwards.

Back to the comic itself. I thought it was very good. The scene with Clark being hassled by the cops showed he still has an idealistic side, though his appeals to their better natures are still being couched by the smug sense of moral certitude twenty somethings are known for. And the hint that Krypto might still be out there made me very happy. Looking forward to the next part.

Nice points.

I'm finding that reading Action and Superman helps both more then not. Clark's character is more filled out with both.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:24 pm

MikeinLA wrote:

I was a bit torn as to whether this is what was happening or the destruction by him. But the bot seemed to get violent and start killing people so I started leaning that direction. Then seeing him show up on earth and start the same thing it cemented the idea. But I can see how the story could still play out the other way.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:04 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Nice points.

I'm finding that reading Action and Superman helps both more then not. Clark's character is more filled out with both.

Neither Clark or Superman are really thrilling me personality-wise. Supes seems way to aloof for my tastes. As for Clark, he seemed to be there to be preachy rather than investigate a story.

- Sons of the Desert

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:10 am

On economic topics. This issue made me pretty mad about the 3.99 price tag considering that back matter was some bull shit that they've already posted online. I read this and 2 at the same time, but this was a little more annoying considering we got to see some awesome Gene Ha art next to the rushed Rags Morales (et al) which continues to drop in quality from issue one. I'm a Morrison fan-boy and I'm enjoying his Action run so far, but it's not the best book of the relaunch or IMO an equal trade for Batman Inc. If it was all Gene Ha or somebody else amazing or if Rags Morales had the time to really bring it, I may be less wary about continuing to buy this series in floppy full price form. Next month has Fialkov on the Steel back-up, so that's good news.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand