Advertisement

Review: Amazing Spider-Man #673

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 232 posts

Review: Amazing Spider-Man #673

Postby LOLtron » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:06 pm

Geek Readers reviews the epilogue to the Spider-Island event: Amazing Spider-Man #673

Comic Review Cover

Credits & Solicit Info:

Review:

This may be a strange statement to make, but this issue - the epilogue to the Spider-Island event - is a pretty good starting point for someone jumping into Spider-Man's world.  I've been holding back at picking up Spider-Man again because it's been in the middle of this event and I've been a little burned out on events this year with Fear Itself from Marvel and The New 52 from DC.  But I've heard great things about this one, so I figured I'd go ahead and pick it up now instead of next month.

[spoiler warning]

As a new reader I got a pretty good idea of what happened with the whole Spider-Island thing, but more importantly they established all the other things going on with Peter's life right now.  The humor is abundant as all the heroes and other people that had been turned into giant spiders are waking up naked and trying to figure out what exactly to do next.  It was nice to see Damage Control show up to help with recovery, it's been a while since I've seen them myself.  We also get a glimpse of the Jackal showing up to nab some DNA from the giant Spider-Queen that was killed, apparently a clone of his was killed during the event as he was mixed up in it somehow.  I have mixed emotions about his answer that he is a "mad scientist" and can get a "computer to do whatever he wants".  It both annoyed me as a weak idea, but amused me that they just slap you in the face with it.  Which somehow makes me accept it.

As for Peter's life we get to see him give his Aunt May a send off as she heads out of town with her husband Jay.  Peter's clone Kaine also pops up to say goodbye as he wants to get a fresh start elsewhere and anyone following comic news knows he is going to be in his own book soon as the new Scarlet Spider.  Peter's current girlfriend has figured out he is Spider-Man and due to being lied to breaks it off with him.  From this we find out a spell Dr. Strange cast for him to help hide his identity was weakened during Spider-Island because he was public about his powers and is now useless.  (And of course can't be recast again - damn you magic!)  Spider-Man gets a pat on the back from some city workers that tell him how, after running around with his powers for a time, realize he is just a regular guy like them when you get down to it and tell him "he's good people".  We see J. Jonah Jameson, now the Mayor of New York talking to Robbie Robertson about all the stuff that went down and Robbie trying to get Jonah to cut Spider-Man some slack.  They wrap up the issue with him tracking down MJ to give her the cure she has been avoiding while she enjoys swinging around the city and she makes Spidey realize that New York does appreciate him.  
  [end spoilers]

I think all of that was a pretty good re-introduction to the world of Spider-Man and I'm finally looking forward to getting back into the character that first got me into comics.  I've heard that Spider-Island was great and if this issue is any indication then it probably was and I'll have to nab the trade.  But for anyone like me wanting to jump in, now is the time.

Review from thegeekreaders.com

Review by: Geek Readers

http://173.199.169.70/index.php/reviews/comics-reviews/17051-review-amazing-spider-man-673.html/
Last edited by LOLtron on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 197 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Amazing Spider-Man #673 *Spoilers*

Postby Zechs » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:29 pm

So the best event Marvel put out this year has ended. Schism gave it a run for it's money, but I think in the end in the grander whole scheme of things this was the better crossover and event. Again it reminded me of Sinestro Corps War. The little event that could. I knew some good things would come from this event, just not how many.

I'll even confess this is probably the best story that I've read that Dan Slott has written on the Spidey books. It ALMOST makes me forget the grievous sin of last year. ALMOST. So I'll eat crow and say congrats to Slott. After so many disappointments in actual 616 Spider-Man stories you finally told an epic tale that did the job it set out to do. A fun and exciting Spider-Man story that stole the thunder out of every other Marvel event this year.

As for what happens in his issue it's pretty much clean-up of all the loose plot ends. The Jackal is shown to have survived his "death" at the hands of the Queen. In fact he's in a clean-up truck taking some of the Queen away. Though his overall plot didn't pan out, he still has a ton of genetic samples from the Queen to start a new one. What it means will not be good for Pete in the future.

Speaking of the future.. Madam Web later on in the book tells Pete TRAGEDY will strike him. Just who that is well who knows. I put the odds on May. I think it's long overdo and honestly the was the entire point of #400 to begin with. But who knows...

Anyway Carlie figures out Peter is Spider-Man and is pissed at the lies and half truths. So she breaks up with him and storms out. DING DONG THE BITCH IS GONE. *ahem* Sorry.

We then get Pete picking up May and Jonah Sr from the airport were they watch Eddie being declared hero of Spider-Island. After the three talk Pete learns that Kaine was eavesdropping and has decided to embark on I'm assuming the Scarlet Spider ongoing. I'm curious to see how that goes down given Yost is a continuity whore.

Probably my favorite scene of this event comes next with Jonah and Robbie. I won't say anything other than it's one page but I love this page. Just what I love about both Jonah and Robbie.

So then we get Pete talking to Strange on how Carlie found out. I have no clue what the fuck they're talking about since this is O.M.I.T. and I grazed over that headache. Anyway the just is.. Pete somewhat confessed he's Spider-Man and now that spell the Doc whipped up is null. So Norman or anyone can figure he's Spider-Man again. Personally I rather have it be Kingsley (I still REFUSE him on being dead given Slott has been utterly predictable in using every single Spidey villain modus operandi) or Ock. Since either dynamic would be a fresh air than old Norman finding out again.

Not even gonna talk about the Horizon or Madame Web stuff since I already talked about the later. So he cures MJ and we get the second best scene of the event. Oh and yes I'm overlooking another scene somewhere in the middle but again I'm not spoiling that.

So yeah again I'll admit it. This was a good event. So come on out and mock me for enjoying this. To call out my hypocrisy. I'm still not gonna forgive Slott fully for the farce of a story last year. That was tugging on a heartstring I've long hoped to see again in Spider-Man book. Even if this was a ruse I refuse to fully forgive him for the misery of putting that in. Still he's HALF forgiven given the events of this Spider-Island. HALF..

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Re: Amazing Spider-Man #673 *Spoilers*

Postby Dragavon » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:33 pm

We don't need your permission to mock you. :lol:

Best crossover event of this year. And I'm looking forward to see where Slott goes with Spidey next.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 170 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:47 pm

i don't care how many of you rave about this event, i refuse to believe it could possibly have been any good. the whole thing just sounds dumber than the "Wally is Wingman" theory.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:54 pm

SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT KINGSLEY, HE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SPIDER-ISLAND.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:56 pm

Punchy wrote:SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT KINGSLEY, HE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SPIDER-ISLAND.

Emergence of Evil allows me to bitch all I want. :P

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:58 pm

chap22 wrote:i don't care how many of you rave about this event, i refuse to believe it could possibly have been any good. the whole thing just sounds dumber than the "Wally is Wingman" theory.

I liked the event. Me.. a harden hater.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:08 pm

chap22 wrote:i don't care how many of you rave about this event, i refuse to believe it could possibly have been any good. the whole thing just sounds dumber than the "Wally is Wingman" theory.

The event was a complete bore Chap, with the final issue being down right AMAZING and a one hundred and ten percent turn around from the rest of the lame story.

Schisms wins it by several miles.

Zechs is once again drinking Drano during the day. :smt011

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:11 pm

Starlord wrote:

The event was a complete bore Chap, with the final issue being down right AMAZING and a one hundred and ten percent turn around from the rest of the lame story.

Schisms wins it by several miles.

Zechs is once again drinking Drano during the day. :smt011

i believe you. everything about it, from the central concept, to the returns of the Queen and Jackal, to all the ridiculous tie-ins sounded just completely retarded.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 433 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:16 pm

chap22 wrote:i believe you. everything about it, from the central concept, to the returns of the Queen and Jackal, to all the ridiculous tie-ins sounded just completely retarded.

honestly in my mind the tie ins were better than the actual story. Venom, Amazing Spider Girl, Cloak and Dagger and the Shang-Chi mini were very good. The Herc tie in was alright, it explained why the only x-men there were Wolverine, Storm, Gambit and Emma (spider island takes place directly after the Lizard arc of X-Men). even the Spider Woman and Avengers one shots were good.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:20 pm

e_galston wrote:
honestly in my mind the tie ins were better than the actual story. Venom, Amazing Spider Girl, Cloak and Dagger and the Shang-Chi mini were very good. The Herc tie in was alright, it explained why the only x-men there were Wolverine, Storm, Gambit and Emma (spider island takes place directly after the Lizard arc of X-Men). even the Spider Woman and Avengers one shots were good.

And that's the thing is the only key part of the tie-ins you had to read were the Venom ones. The others weren't necessary to the story but gave you a bigger scope of the events (you missed Black Panther tie-in).

This thing is going to read much smoother and better when fully collected.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:29 pm

I don't understand everything Zechs said, but I agree that Spider Island was a thoroughly enjoyable read. I generally read this with a smile on my face, which is something I don't usually say about many comics.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:32 pm

Zechs wrote:
And that's the thing is the only key part of the tie-ins you had to read were the Venom ones. The others weren't necessary to the story but gave you a bigger scope of the events (you missed Black Panther tie-in).

This thing is going to read much smoother and better when fully collected.

utterly pointless and turrible. i wish i'd missed it.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:45 pm

chap22 wrote:utterly pointless and turrible. i wish i'd missed it.

When did you turn into an bitter old man? You used to be fun. :P

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:21 pm

I got zechs'd :(

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand