Advertisement

Review: Avengers VS X-Men series

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Re: Review: Avengers VS X-Men series

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Chris wrote:
Phoenix continuity is convoluted as fuck. I don't even care that they did, and I'm glad they essentially took it off the table for the foreseeable future.

I'm willing to bet that the next Marvel event involves trouble with the M'Kraan Crystal now that the Phoenix is gone.

Advertisement

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 58 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:48 pm

My Phoenix experience is pretty much from the cartoons

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 148 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:21 am

Chris wrote:
I don't count Messiah Complex and Second Coming.

Those weren't linewide events, those were just crossovers.

Siege was really good, but could've used more issues.

Annihilation still blows this event out of the water.

Hab

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 148 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:22 am

Chris wrote:
Phoenix continuity is convoluted as fuck. I don't even care that they did, and I'm glad they essentially took it off the table for the foreseeable future.

Which is exactly why it's a poor focus for an event comic and why this event wasn't very good.

Hab

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:17 pm

habitual wrote:
Annihilation still blows this event out of the water.

Hab

This. Also, the old Marvel events blow those out of the water.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 251 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:50 pm

Would have made a good videogame but it sucked ass as a story. I still theorize that Marvel consulted Michael Bay, Tyler Perry and Vince McMahon when they came up with this event.

The Beast
cheese

Liked in: 94 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator

Postby The Beast » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:57 pm

Wicked review, my favorite part was the bit about the

1. A Manufactured Event

Avengers vs. X-Men was the big Marvel Event this year.  It has become standard practice to have large, multi-book crossover events every year to drive sales, whether they come together naturally or have to be forced into creation.  Many actions and events are shoe-horned into place for the sake of creating the "means to an end" that is predetermined and will lead the next arc of stories, which will lead to the next event.  This gives the reader the feeling that the entire comic book line is built around these events, resulting in more editorial mandates and less quality storytelling.  The corporate overlords at Marvel don't understand that readers can tell the difference between a writer creating an amazing story that evolves organically into something bigger and a group of suits deciding on an artificially "shocking" which they can tout at comic cons and the Jimmy Kimmel show.

We see this in Hollywood all the time: a gifted director creates something great and studios try to break that creation down into a formula to recreate it.  The success of Sin City brought us The Spirit. The success of Nolan's Batman trilogy has pushed the upcoming Superman movie, Man of Steel, toward a darker and more realistic take.  It works often enough to make a quick buck and, therefore, is viewed as a viable marketing strategy, but it's not the way to make a great story.

Technically one could say that all stories are "manufactured," and that is semantically true, but I would rather have a writer "manufacture" the story than a group of editors or stockholders.  Watchmen came to us because of Moore and Gibbons, not because a group of editors at DC got together and plotted the story out for the purpose of creating some massive hit, and then assigned their employed talent to execute a concept they may not fully believe in.  After all, artists have visions, not committees.

This is the root of all evil in corporate sponsored storytelling endeavours. The source of literary inbreeding that Moore talked about recently at his latest Con appearance.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:04 pm

I liked the versus issue i read. But those are mindless arena fighting books.

The Beast
cheese

Liked in: 94 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator

Postby The Beast » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:22 pm

covalesky wrote:I liked the versus issue i read. But those are mindless arena fighting books.

Agreed, there was some great moments in the AVX issues, I think I enjoyed it more than the main series.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand