Advertisement

Review: Avengers: X-Sanction #4

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts

Review: Avengers: X-Sanction #4

Postby LOLtron » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:07 am

It's the final chapter of X-Sanction! Did you know there was some kind of Event coming up? I didn't, but apparently this is a part of it! Huh.

Comic Review Cover

Credits & Solicit Info:

Avengers: X-Sanction #4(of 4)

'Sundown'

Written by Jeph Loeb

Artwork by Ed McGuinness, Dexter Vines and Morry Hollowell

Marvel Comics

$3.99

Out Now

Review:

Marvel's biggest event pretty much ever starts next week with Avengers Vs X-Men #0, and this final instalment of Avengers: X-Sanction looks like being an important part of the build-up to that story, as well as a fun action story in it's own right.

This issue concludes the fight between Cable and the Avengers and X-Men (wait, they're working together? And seem like great friends? Dramatic Irony!) in a typically bombastic Loeb/McGuinness fashion. They are a great team, and deliver over-the-top superhero action like few others can. This mini was not quite as stupidly explosive as Hulk, but it was still great fun to see McGuinness draw all of these characters smack each other around. One of the best things about this issue was seeing McGuinness have fun and experiment. There were some great layouts in this issue, I particularly liked the double page spread that used 4 massive exclamation marks as the panels. If that doesn't sum up the Loeb/McGuinness style of comickery, what does?

But there's more here than just Wolverine and Cable fighting each other (as cool as that is), as this issue provides vital context for AvX, as it's finally confirmed that Hope is the new host for the Phoenix Force (we've seen her use it before, but it took until this issue for someone to actually straight out say 'Hope is the Phoenix') and that's going to cause problems. Cable came back to try and prevent a war between the Avengers and the X-Men, but he failed (and it's out next month! Order now! Hashtag! Free digital copy! Please give Marvel money!). Cable begs Cyclops to stand behind Hope, and this is presumably the reason why he ends up having to fight Captain America.

The ending of this issue was just great, when Hope goes full-on Phoenix to cure Cable of his techno-organic virus, I got chills down my spine. Oh, did I forget to mention that? Yeah, Cable is now cured, which is exciting news. I wonder where he goes from here? Will he join his dad's Extinction Team? Will he head over to the Jean Grey School? Or even rejoin X-Force and re-unite with Deadpool? I certainly wasn't expecting Cable to survive this mini-series at all, so his being back and better than ever is a real surprise. But he'll probably just die in AvX #11 to set up a shocking conclusion or something. I'm way too cynical aren't I?

This was a strong comic, I know that Loeb gets a lot of hate online, but he's always done well by Cable, and this book was a lot of fun. Not only did it work on it's own as a fight comic, but it's also an important chapter in the overall Marvel jigsaw.

Hope is definitely the Phoenix, so what now? I think you know the answer.

Review by: Niam Suggitt

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/reviews/comics-reviews/18767-avengers-x-sanction-4-review.html/
Last edited by LOLtron on Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 130 posts

Re: Review: Avengers: X-Sanction #4

Postby avengingtitan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:50 am

Cable should call Benson and Stabler because he just got raped. Someone please blackball Loeb ala Chuck Austen. Its sad his Batman stuff was epic.

Marvel's biggest event pretty much ever starts next week with Avengers Vs X-Men #0,

WTF??? No its not the biggest event ever. Dont get me wrong I cant wait for it but to compare it other great events is ludicrous.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:17 am

This will not be bigger than Civil War.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:21 am

This is the first event that involves both the Marvel Universe/Avengers side of things, and the X-Men, whereas previously, both sides have had their own events. It's a big deal.

Plus, it's 12 issues, compared to Civil War and Secret Invasion etc, it's literally bigger :P

But arguing over semantics isn't the point, the review is of A: XS #4.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:09 am

Punchy wrote:This is the first event that involves both the Marvel Universe/Avengers side of things, and the X-Men, whereas previously, both sides have had their own events. It's a big deal.

Plus, it's 12 issues, compared to Civil War and Secret Invasion etc, it's literally bigger :P

But arguing over semantics isn't the point, the review is of A: XS #4.

You mean other then Acts of Vengence, Inferno, Evolutionary war, Contest of Champions, etc, etc, etc. :smt011
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 331 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:27 am

If Cable was the main character of the book (and he was) how come his name isn't bolded, yet Deadpool and X-Force who weren't even in the book are?

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 554 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:02 am

Good review. I wanted to dislike this book. The utter stupidity of Loeb's writing and dialog made me start to hate it, but by issue 3, I was hooked on it and shamelessly enjoying it. It's totally 90s. The writing is completely immature - "Logan and I have a long history. Longer than he knows. He and I are a lot alike, because he'll stab me to get the job done." There's just no subtlety, no attempt to hide the exposition as natural dialog, completely unrefined. It's comics written for a twelve year old. So why did I love it? Because I loved comics when I was twelve.

My only concern is that, while I think a comic like this is great for bringing on new readers of the twelve year old variety, Marvel plays a dangerous game with this as the lead-in to their super serious mega-event that they're hoping to draw in new readers with, because there's a danger that reading something like this will confirm all the negative stereoytypes people have about comics.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:13 am

Sitebreaker wrote:If Cable was the main character of the book (and he was) how come his name isn't bolded, yet Deadpool and X-Force who weren't even in the book are?

They are names of titles, not characters.

And you're nitpicking about what's bolded now? Seriously?

e_galston
Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:45 am

Punchy wrote:
They are names of titles, not characters.

And you're nitpicking about what's bolded now? Seriously?

so because i asked a question its "nitpicking" really??

Timbales
Fisty McDigger

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Namaste, mother fucker
Formerly: timberoo

Postby Timbales » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:52 am

How can Cable be Cable without the glowing eye and metal arm?

Hopefully they don't take away his pouches and giant guns.
However, Liefeld is an enigma wrapped in a pouch-filled, muscular, footless conundrum.
Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:29 am

Sitebreaker wrote:
so because i asked a question its "nitpicking" really??

Yes

Johnny Smith
cheese

Liked in: 120 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:47 am

This was an excellent Cable story :-D Too bad Marvel Marketing had to re-name it Avengers: X-Sanction :lol:

Good to see Blaquesmith again. I love that guy. :smt026

e_galston
Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:54 am

Punchy wrote:
Yes

i'll remember that and never ask you a question again. I honestly wasn't sure why certain things were bolded and others weren't. but i'll remember next time to never ask you a question again cause than i'm just "nit picking"

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:02 pm

Sitebreaker wrote:
i'll remember that and never ask you a question again. I honestly wasn't sure why certain things were bolded and others weren't. but i'll remember next time to never ask you a question again cause than i'm just "nit picking"

You can ask a question, just not a nit-picky one.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:16 am

Sitebreaker wrote:

Trying to have an intelligent conversation with him is like talking to a wall dude. Its best just not to engage.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand