Advertisement

Review: Criminal Macabre: The Eyes of Frankenstein #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 228 posts

Postby LOLtron » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Criminal Macabre returns in a limited series with a new reader friendly starting point.

Story:

Criminal Macabre: The Eyes of Frankenstein #1 is the latest offering in the list of Criminal Macabre titles by Dark Horse, written by Steve Niles (30 Days of Night) with art by Christopher Mitten (Wasteland).

This issue revolves around a mysterious disease that seems to be killing ghouls. You read that right, the undead are dying. Before occult Detective Cal McDonald and his trusted sidekick Mo’Lock the ghoul can tackle the problem, another one arises. They get called in by the police who need Cal’s help to deal with Frankenstein’s monster who’s tearing up a building. One problem though, Frankeinstein’s monster has gone blind!

Verdict: 8/10

Having not read any of the previous Criminal Macabre books I was a little wary of starting this series. I’m definitely glad I did though. Although there are a few references to the previous adventures, knowledge of them was not necessary to enjoy the story. The summary page at the beginning of the issue, combined with the captions of Cal’s thoughts, bring new readers up to speed.

Cal shines as the unwilling hero in this story. Niles does a great job of making this character one you genuinely want to know more about. He’s foul-mouthed, nihilistic, and has a devil-may-care attitude. Essentially he ‘s Niles’ version of John Constantine and he fits perfectly with this genre. His interaction with other characters are a true highlight.

Where I have to mark the issue down is the originality of the story. Naturally it’s hard to constantly come up with a new twist on this genre, but going through I had that nagging feeling that I’ve read and seen this somewhere before. This didn’t detract from the entertainment factor the book provided though, and with only one issue in there’s still opportunity to make this series stand out from others in this category.

Beautiful. That’s the word I would use to describe Mitten’s art in this issue. His simplistic approach to drawing out the characters, and the respective environments in each panel, has a symbiotic relationship with Niles’ writing. Simply put, it just fits well. The pages were highly pleasant to the eye and allowed the story to flow seamlessly.

Final thoughts:

Fans of horror comics will definitely enjoy this. While it doesn’t have any over the top gore, it is a story immersed in classic horror history. Overall a highly entertaining book that manages to provoke several laughs, combined with an ending that promises an adventure with an unlikely duo.

Written or Contributed by Scot Meek

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand