Advertisement

Review Group 194 - DARK AVENGERS: ARES #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

What should we do for Week 208

Poll ended at Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 am

Free-for-All
50%
Review 'Em All
20%
The #1's
30%

Total votes : 20

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 133 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:59 pm

Punchy wrote:He is the founder of the group actually, as embarassing as that is.

I thought the founder was Yoni or someone else? Definitely not twig.

I'm just sick and tired of this bullshit. I don't go around in threads insulting the characters the thread is about or anything. I don't go out of my way to insult say nova (because I like it) I only insulted jubilee to show him how fucking annoying it is.

But hey your going to skip next week or give it a bad review no matter what so why should I care? :roll:

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:00 pm

doombug wrote:I thought the founder was Yoni or someone else? Definitely not twig.

I'm just sick and tired of this bullshit. I don't go around in threads insulting the characters the thread is about or anything. I don't go out of my way to insult say nova (because I like it) I only insulted jubilee to show him how fucking annoying it is.

But hey your going to skip next week or give it a bad review no matter what so why should I care? :roll:

He founded it.

I'm not skipping next week, and I'll give it a fair shot, I do like FVL's Hercules, so maybe that will counteract the Pool.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:02 pm

Punchy wrote:He founded it.

I'm not skipping next week, and I'll give it a fair shot, I do like FVL's Hercules, so maybe that will counteract the Pool.

Actually Herc and Pool will be amazing together, especially wrote by fred.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:13 pm

Punchy wrote:He founded it.

Why did he quit participating?

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:30 pm

Old Man wrote:I've never read a Deadpool comic, and I don't see much reason to do so now.

Kelly's run is one of the shining comic stars of the late 90s.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:03 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:Kelly's run is one of the shining comic stars of the late 90s.

Yes, no one gets or has gotten the character like Kelly and this overexposure of Daedpool has bumped him out of my favorite character lists.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 82 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:08 pm

House of J wrote:Why did he quit participating?

He almost destroyed the group from the get go or some such shit. Who knows, that was back when Al Gore was still inventing the internets and the facebook was just a dream of a sperm cell.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 82 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:10 pm

doombug wrote:I thought the founder was Yoni or someone else? Definitely not twig.

I actually did go into a GOG thread earlier today just to trash it, but Punchy started the thread, so I figured it was all good. :)

It's the interwebz dude, people are going to graffitti it up, did you see what they did to that poor defenseless wall flag?

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:33 pm

thefifthman wrote:He almost destroyed the group from the get go or some such shit. Who knows, that was back when Al Gore was still inventing the internets and the facebook was just a dream of a sperm cell.

Twigg nearly destroyed the group... by handing it over to Punchy to run. :lol:

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:26 am

doombug wrote:I think it's fair man...I may have skipped out on your week. :cry:

I'm not going to skip this week. Just being a dick.

But I never have read a Deadpool comic. I usually don't do X-Men comics. Too many characters. My age-addled brain can't keep track.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:30 pm

What the heck is Deadpool Team Up #899?

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:00 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:What the heck is Deadpool Team Up #899?

A comic book. :wink:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:06 pm

Dark Avengers: Ares #1(of 3) - 'Dark Avengers: Ares Part 1' - Gillen, Garcia, Gaudiano, Pennington and Villarrubia

Story - Despite this being written by one of my favourite new writers, Kieron Gillen, I was still wary about this issue. I mean, I know Gillen from Phonogram, not for superheroes, what would his take on Ares be? Would the whole issue feature the God Of War discussing his favourite Brit-pop tracks? Thankfully not, the only Music brought to mind here is Ride Of The Valkyries. Gillen is a writer with a lot of skills to his bow, and in this book... he brings the action and the War-movie posturing to go with it. This is not a deep comic, but it is a hell of a lot of fun.

The central premise is basically that Norman Osborn, in his role as Head of HAMMER asks Ares to train a cadre of uber-tough Ultra soldiers. And so we get the first 20 minutes of Full Metal Jacket, but with the God Of War. It's brutal as you'd expect, and compelling. The Patton-esque Monologue Ares gives his possible troops is one of the best such scenes that I have read. Gillen perfectly nails the slightly aloof, slightly crazy nature of Ares, but manages to put in a modern-day context. That's what a book like this should do, you contrast the crazy Gods running around with real soldiers, real warfare, and Gillen does this well. Especially in a scene where he explains how he knows War of all eras.

Gillen chooses, perhaps wisely, to not put the focus on Ares himself, but on a human soldier (or Puny Mortal, as Ares would put it), so we follow Cameron McGill through his and his friend's training. These characters are so far loosely drawn, there's a Russian, a German (with an oh-so teutonic moustache), and a crazy Redneck. I doubt it matters if they are a bit stereotypical though, as Ares says, they might not live long. McGill and the rest add a human side to Ares, even as he's trying to kill them, and they blow him up, we see them bond, whether it be through Sunglasses, or just beating this holy shit out of people. I did like how McGill did keep putting his foot in it though, asking Ares if he's stronger than Hercules is just asking for trouble. As is mentioning his son Phobos.

And it appears that Phobos will be a driving point in this story too, at the end, Ares' Mother Hera (currently the big Villain over in Incredible Hercules) comes to Ares to tell him that his son has been injured in service with the Secret Warriors, so Ares readies to go get Nick Fury. I'm not sure I trust Hera, she's been bad news in Hercules, and Alexander seemed fine in this week's Secret Warriors. It's probably a trap. But we know from his speech that Ares doesn't give a hoot if it's a trap, he doesn't want to go in prepared, he just wants to fight, to wage war.

And wage War he shall, it looks like the next 2 issues of this book will amp up the action considerably, but this opening chapter was still very enjoyable. Gillen has an excellent grasp of Ares, up there with Oeming's, who brought the character back to prominence, and even Bendis, who is doing great work with the character in Dark Avengers. Gillen nails the character, and the tone of a book about Gods in the modern age very well, and there's even a subtle sense of humour here. If you want a pure action comic, and are a fan of Incredible Hercules, check out the Dark side of Olympus here. Ares may be crazy and dangerous, but he's a whole lot of fun.

Art - Manuel Garcia is a bit of a journeyman artist, doing fill-ins here and there, the last book I remember reading of his was when he replaced Trevor Hairsine on Paul Cornell's Wisdom MAX series, and he did good work there, but he's made a step up here. This is very good stuff, very fitting for the book's earthy tone. Perhaps a lot of this is to do with the exemplary inks of Stefano Gaudiano, his work makes this resemble Michael Lark on Daredevil or something similar, adding a new edge to Garcia's work. Jose Villarrubia is of course a colouring legend, nuff said.

Best Line - There's a lot of good dialogue here, I like 'Consider: The Human Fist' or 'That's the Dung my Sister cares about. I'm the other God of War' Ares is a character who just lends himself to fantastic dialogue, pretty much every writer nails him, and Gillen does here too.

8/10
Last edited by Punchy on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragavon
Podcaster

Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:09 pm

Punchy wrote:they blow him

Kinky! :shock:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:11 pm

Dragavon wrote:Kinky! :shock:

Hey, he is from Ancient Greece!

Nah, I forgot the Up, it's in there now.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand