Advertisement

Review Group 194 - DARK AVENGERS: ARES #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

What should we do for Week 208

Poll ended at Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 am

Free-for-All
50%
Review 'Em All
20%
The #1's
30%

Total votes : 20

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:50 pm

Nice review Punchy, but if you thought that dialogue was great, you must have multiple orgasms over movies like Dirty Harry, Rambo, Rocky, or just about any Ahnold movie.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:26 pm

starlord wrote:Nice review Punchy, but if you thought that dialogue was great, you must have multiple orgasms over movies like Dirty Harry, Rambo, Rocky, or just about any Ahnold movie.

Never seen Rambo or Rocky. But I do love Dirty Harry.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 84 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:28 pm

Punchy wrote:Never seen Rambo or Rocky. But I do love Dirty Harry.

not even

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:29 pm

thefifthman wrote:not even

Of course I've seen that!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 84 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:31 pm

Punchy wrote:Of course I've seen that!

Ah ha! Ich habe Beweis Ihrer republikanischen Lügen!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:55 pm

Punchy wrote:Never seen Rambo or Rocky. But I do love Dirty Harry.

At least you've seen the best of the three.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:30 pm

Dark Avengers: Ares #1

Really short review this week because I'm in a rush

Story was decent. Ares seems like a pretty cool character, and the little amount of comics I've read with him were ok. I'm sure he's a really cool character (not Nick Fury cool), but I couldn't really get into the story. That may be because I'm not really interested in Ares, but whatever.

The art was good for this comic IMO. I actually was surprised that I liked it. I was on the fence at first, but I learned to like it. I'm sure it could've been better, but it was solid.

I don't know if I should recommend this, but I just couldn't get into it myself. The art was pretty good though.

Story- 6
Art- 7.5
Overall- 7

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:33 pm

thefifthman wrote:not even

Good movie, better tagline.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:50 am

amlah6 wrote:Twigg nearly destroyed the group... by handing it over to Punchy to run. :lol:

Thankfully I was there to pick up the pieces and lead the group to the amazingness it is now....well with a slight hick-up during the sire horror.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:51 pm

got this today. I'll read and review when I feel like it.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:26 pm

Dark Avengers: Ares #1
Written by Kieron Gillen
Art by Manuel Garcia

My name is King Impulse, and I'm a Kieron Gillen fan. Not that it's anything to be ashamed of, but I thought I should start by saying this is going to be a very bias review. I've been a massive fan of pretty much everything I've read by him (Although I think there's some Warhammer comics he's done that I'm not interested in, and there was that newuniversal one-shot that I never read). I'm currently sporting an avatar and a sig both from series that he writes, and I try and get people to check out his stuff whenever I can, just because I like it so much. Also, he has a brilliant first name, even if he spells it wrong :wink:

Now, Ares... I loved Oeming's mini, but have been kind of sour on Bendis' take on him since Mighty Avengers #1. He's been fun comic relief, but Oeming proved he could be so much than that, and Gillen takes the best from both interpretations to provide the most badass C.O in comics. Ares has been seen through various lenses since his return to the MU. From jealous brother, through crazed manic, to respectful warrior, but I think here, through the eyes of one of his command, I feel we see the true Ares.

When Norman Osborn comes to Ares with his proposition, Ares explains it as a mortal petitioning a god and the god accepting, but there's more to it than that. Since he rose to prominence in the superhero community, he's become estranged from his son, who previously, was his reason for being. He gave up being the god of war to raise the child and now he no longer sees him, so Ares takes on a ragtag group of soldiers that he can mould in his own image to fulfil that paternal feeling he's always had. Or maybe, he just likes shooting stuff and watching things go boom, he's a conundrum.

I like that we don't get into Ares head. It reminds me of Azzarello's Joker GN, where he explained that if you got into the Joker's head, it removes all the mystery. Instead, we see events through the eyes of Cameron McGill, an elite soldier with an overly active mouth that probably overcompensates for something in his life. Through Cameron, we see the mixed feelings of fear and respect people get from Ares. He's scared shitless by him, but he looks up to him.

If there were any complaints about the writing, I'd have to agree that some of Ares' dialogue comes off as 'badass cliche' but that's exactly what I was expecting from this comic. This isn't a Bendis comic, we're not going to get

"You know Ares?"
'Ares?'
"Big guy, big axe, god of war?"
'Oh yeah!'
"Yeah?"
'Yeah, I know who you mean'

You buy an Ares comic, you want to hear the God of War say things like

"I am the God of War. I am the lord of all things made by men that would make you not. Of all my Olympian kin, I am closest to you. I have walked among you for millennia! I know the death cry of the elephant. What plate-mail sounds like as it buckles beneath your fingers. I know how flesh blossoms beneath a thousand different kinds of shrapnel.

I know all these things. And these are things you will learn."

and if you don't like it, GTFO.

As for the art, I must say that I'm disappointed that Cary Nord isn't on the book, but Manuel Garcia is doing the best work I've ever seen by him. He gives Ares a godly presence no matter what he's doing, even if he's just standing the there. His storytelling and the flow from panel-to-panel is excellent. Take the scene where Ares is talking about there being two gods of war. How each panel moves closer and closer to Ares' face until he's boiling up and clenching his fists, then the next page of Ares calmly stood there just works so well. Stefano Guadiano is one of Marvel's best inkers and you can tell which pages are his and which are Pennington's, but his stuff's good to, so it doesn't really matter.

All in all, I loved this issue. I like to think I'm an intellectual guy, I appreciate comics that really make you think, and comics that break down and analyse the very nature of the medium and such. Sometimes though, I want to see shit go boom.

Story - 8
Art - 8
Overall - 8[/b]
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:33 pm

Good to see you back reviewing stuff Kieran.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:36 pm

Punchy wrote:Good to see you back reviewing stuff Kieran.

I didn't want to say 'I'm gonna review this one' because I've said that a few times and haven't got around to it, but I'm gonna try and keep at it.

Skipping next week though :P
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:54 pm

King Impulse wrote:I didn't want to say 'I'm gonna review this one' because I've said that a few times and haven't got around to it, but I'm gonna try and keep at it.

Skipping next week though :P

I should be so lucky, I have to read or else everyone will hate me.

I'm scared, what if I like it?

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:58 pm

Punchy wrote:I should be so lucky, I have to read or else everyone will hate me.

I'm scared, what if I like it?

I think Doombug will only hate you :P

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand