Advertisement

Review Group 194 - DARK AVENGERS: ARES #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

What should we do for Week 208

Poll ended at Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 am

Free-for-All
50%
Review 'Em All
20%
The #1's
30%

Total votes : 20

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:58 pm

Dark Avengers: Ares #1

The Marvel Comics line is accessible to readers of all ages. It's inevitable most kids will eventually outgrow books like Marvel Super Heroes Squad, and perhaps move up to the Marvel Adventures line. And when they begin to find those books, with their simplistic plot-lines and streamlined dialogue, a bit too juvenile then there are books like Dark Avengers: Ares to provide the next step up the ladder.

What else is there to say? Ares is a tough guy, eh? This book tries too hard to be hard. The pages are full of crudely-drawn lumpy faced tough guys who can only be identified by a faux-hawk here, a handle-bar mustache there. Team Shade are throw-away characters whose destinies are to be thrown away, probably. The panel compositions are unimaginative, matching the cliche-ridden storyline and dialogue. I read it several times trying to understand what the appeal of the book is to other reviewers, but a book like this offers little or nothing to the repeat-reader that wasn't apparent the first time.

Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:00 pm

Punchy wrote:I should be so lucky, I have to read or else everyone will hate me.

I'm scared, what if I like it?

FVL and Herc vs Deadpool

2 out of 3. It might be good!
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:14 pm

Dark Avengers: Ares #1

Yay! Finally got around to reading a book.

I like this well enough. I didn't have a problem with the dialogue (although there were a couple of awkward phrasings) and thought the art conveyed the action nicely.

It's obvious what Gillen (sp?) is doing here. Ares is too much of a big gun for him to do anything earth-shattering to the guy, so he introduces a bunch of no-names he can develop, and likely kill off by the mini's end. That's fine and probably the smartest way to write the book.

My only complaint, is for a mini that's only 3 issues, waiting until the last few pages to introduce the main conflict is leaving it a bit late.

Story: 6.5
Art: 7
Over-All: 6.75

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:15 pm

Punchy wrote:I should be so lucky, I have to read or else everyone will hate me.

Then you must become a Deadpool cosplayer, or leave the group forever and wander the news stand like a shadow of a ghost of a mendicant.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:19 pm

Kerny wrote:I think Doombug will only hate you :P

Doombug might have a rough week next week, he has a mini-meltdown anytime someone says something negative about Deadpool. :lol:

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:04 pm

Dark Avengers: Ares
This was a fun book. Yeah, it tries to be tough but it is Ares the God of freaking War! If I wanted a boring, sensitive, and taking itself too seriously comic I would go read Phonogram :P ...I thought Ares giving his speech with the American flag behind him was cool as hell and the part with the sun glasses gave me a laugh. I did not hate this at all but I am not sure if I will keep reading even though I feel a little obligated since this feels like it is gonna tie into Secret Warriors a bit. It does give me a good feeling about about Gillen's upcoming Thor run, he seemed to grasp Ares character quite well and I think he will do Thor justice. The art is a style I typically don't care for but it works well with the gritty tone of the book. There may have been a few cheesy lines here and there but I was not at all disappointed with this and depending on how many titles I get when this next comes out maybe I will read on.

STORY - 7

ART - 6

OVERALL - 6.5

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:05 pm

Dude if you like it then you don't have to keep reading it. Each issue is a one shot. :lol: Your good punch, I promise.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:07 pm

amlah6 wrote:Doombug might have a rough week next week, he has a mini-meltdown anytime someone says something negative about Deadpool. :lol:

Only when the aren't sensible about it and talking out of their ass. I think I'll want to punch old man in the face for his review style on this one depending on score.

It wont be puncy's ultimate avengers meltdown though. :lol:

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 152 posts

Postby MrBlack » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:28 am

I think I mentioned this before, but just to make sure, I'm skipping the review this week. The new LCS is still getting settled (they didn't get several of my books this week), and they didn't have this one with the shipment. They should be stabalized by this week or next, and I've got Deadpool Team-Up on my pull.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:33 pm

doombug wrote:Only when the aren't sensible about it and talking out of their ass. I think I'll want to punch old man in the face for his review style on this one depending on score.

It wont be puncy's ultimate avengers meltdown though. :lol:

I didn't write so much this week. Vented all my meanness on a putz last Wednesday. Takes me a while to re-load.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Old Man wrote: Takes me a while to re-load.

Happens with age I am told :P

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:38 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:Happens with age I am told :P

That is not a myth. It's much more difficult to get it up a second time if the woman is extremely elderly.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:41 pm

House of J wrote:That is not a myth. It's much more difficult to get it up a second time if the woman is extremely elderly.

:lol:

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:43 pm

Dark Avengers: Ares # 1

I read a lot of books last week and this was the most surprising. Not the best, not the worst, but it was surprisngly good.

The book is pretty funny IMO, with Ares beginning why he's putting together a team, to the shade's, and with the consideration of the human fist. The dialogue is over the top and somewhat cheesy, but I don't mind it, I like the tough guy machismo act Gillen is writing here. This book won't have no immediate impact on anything, but it is a fun little tale that I will be reading.

Interesting and smart choice telling the story from one of his soldiers POV

The art is ok. It's gritty when it needs to be and it tells the story good

Story 7.5
Art 7

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:59 pm

Well this issue was pretty worthless. I've always wanted to read the original Ares mini but if this is what the character is like then I guess I'll be passing on that one. The story is pretty formulaic and trite along with just passing from page to page. The biggest inconsistency is from the narrators narration to his actual dialogue they were totally mismatched and only took me out of the story.

The art...How many Manuel Garcia's are there? Because this issue looked like it was drawn by 3-4 different people. Not just from page to page but panel to panel. I don't know if it's bad inking or bad line work. Either way it is distracting and makes for a bumpy read.

when I look at this picture I see three different Hera's one plain faced, One with age lines and one with tight skin showing emotion and beauty. Same person 3 different ways and of course the real piece that moves the story to the next issue isn't something remotely elaborated or explained.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand