Advertisement

Review Group 194 - DARK AVENGERS: ARES #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

What should we do for Week 208

Poll ended at Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 am

Free-for-All
50%
Review 'Em All
20%
The #1's
30%

Total votes : 20

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 136 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:29 am

if i'd known about stumptown i probably would have picked it as greg is awesome.

but a deadpool book comes out on my week i am sure as hell picking it and don't give two shits if people have a problem with it. :lol:

j punchy has still yet to review teen titans #75 after bitching about having to read it.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:29 am

doombug wrote:if i'd known about stumptown i probably would have picked it as greg is awesome.

but a deadpool book comes out on my week i am sure as hell picking it and don't give two shits if people have a problem with it. :lol:

j punchy has still yet to review teen titans #75 after bitching about having to read it.

Sssshhhh

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:06 pm

doombug wrote:if i'd known about stumptown i probably would have picked it as greg is awesome.

I know! That's why I wrote "At least I don't just skip the books I don't like, like say..." in an earlier response to Punchy.

:? That book was pretty terrible.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 84 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:31 pm

Ah, yes, review...

ten pages of Punchy versus HoJ...

I'll probably get to this later.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:16 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:Ah, yes, review...

We didn't argue a page you condescending little pussy fart. You can fuck yourself too.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:28 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:Ah, yes, review...

It was your pick, get to it now! :x :x :x :P

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:49 pm

House of J wrote:We didn't argue a page you condescending little pussy fart. You can fuck yourself too.

:lol:
that word always makes me giggle like a 12 year old...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:54 pm

Me too. :lol:

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:38 pm

Punchy wrote:No it's not, the average is all screwed up and it's not representing the overall opinion of the group.

Punchy, by definition, average DOES reflect the will of the group.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:44 pm

doombug wrote:punchy has still yet to review teen titans #75 after bitching about having to read it.

That was over a month ago. #76 came out last week.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:31 pm

Dark Avengers: Ares #1

Damn you Gillen. Damn you for writing an entertaining book despite aping not only Patton but the Right Stuff. Despite writing a weak marine narrative and playing off stereotypes that make the film version of Jarhead seem authentic. Damn you for taking what should be a throw away book and making it just compelling enough to keep me reading and damn you for letting it all unravel into an unadulterated mess before dropping a hint of a great idea (Ares and his Batshit Crazy Marine vs. Nick Fury and his Secret Warriors) in the cliff hanger ending.

As annoying as the story is for walking the line between meaningless chaotic drivel and brilliant high octane insanity, the art is even more so. Multiple inkers and Garcia's apparent lack of strong design wander even further from great cohesive and consistent art. However, they somehow find a way to convey the amalgam of random violence that is war, the sinister countenance of Norman is nailed and the art is just stylistic enough for me to take note (and not hate).

Damn you Ares, as much as I wanted to hate you, I have to admit you were entertaining and off kilter.

Story - 7
Art - 7
Overall - 7

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:07 am

bump because the HOJ couldn't find it.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:22 am

OK, I suppose I better get this one done too since I'm doing reviews.

I missed the last Ares series which everyone raves about so I don't have that as a reference on what constitutes a good Ares book. I do know that I've liked the character since he joined up with the Mighty Avengers a couple years ago. I vaguely remember the character from before that as an almost one note villain but he never registered that high on my radar.

That's obviously changed. What I like about his book is that Ares himself points out the differences between the two greek war deities. It's straight out of a mythology book but it works very well to define who Ares is and what we should expect in this book. Ares is basically everything bad about war... which is quite a bit. Athena is everything civilized about war... which isn't so much, actually. She's the dressing we put on combat to make it seem better than it is while he breaks it down to it's most brutal form.

This book does a good job of making Ares that disgusting little bit of war that you hope is smiling down on you if you're actually in the thick of things. The Dirty Dozen bit isn't exactly great. I'd almost prefer the book to be more about Ares and less about his platoon. I'm guessing most of these guys are going to be the red shirts in the rest of this book.

Odder still is this book's referencing of Secret Warriors and Hercules. I know they should be connected but, with Secret Warriors currently in the middle of an arc featuring Ares, it seems redundant to have the Ares mini go right back to a Nick Fury story. It seems like this should go in another direction while having this story show up in the Secret Warriors proper but, if this is the way they chose to do things, I'm gonna have to wait and see if it was a good idea.

So, I'm down with this for now. I mean, I kind of have to be for my articles but I'm enjoying the Ares character enough that buying a mini featuring him is ok by me.

Dark Avengers Ares #1, you get a 7. I'll see you next month.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:52 am

SuperginraiX wrote:OK, I suppose I better get this one done too since I'm doing reviews.

I missed the last Ares series which everyone raves about so I don't have that as a reference on what constitutes a good Ares book. I do know that I've liked the character since he joined up with the Mighty Avengers a couple years ago. I vaguely remember the character from before that as an almost one note villain but he never registered that high on my radar.

That's obviously changed. What I like about his book is that Ares himself points out the differences between the two greek war deities. It's straight out of a mythology book but it works very well to define who Ares is and what we should expect in this book. Ares is basically everything bad about war... which is quite a bit. Athena is everything civilized about war... which isn't so much, actually. She's the dressing we put on combat to make it seem better than it is while he breaks it down to it's most brutal form.

This book does a good job of making Ares that disgusting little bit of war that you hope is smiling down on you if you're actually in the thick of things. The Dirty Dozen bit isn't exactly great. I'd almost prefer the book to be more about Ares and less about his platoon. I'm guessing most of these guys are going to be the red shirts in the rest of this book.

Odder still is this book's referencing of Secret Warriors and Hercules. I know they should be connected but, with Secret Warriors currently in the middle of an arc featuring Ares, it seems redundant to have the Ares mini go right back to a Nick Fury story. It seems like this should go in another direction while having this story show up in the Secret Warriors proper but, if this is the way they chose to do things, I'm gonna have to wait and see if it was a good idea.

So, I'm down with this for now. I mean, I kind of have to be for my articles but I'm enjoying the Ares character enough that buying a mini featuring him is ok by me.

Dark Avengers Ares #1, you get a 7. I'll see you next month.

Congrats on posting your 100th Review Group review, Super.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:44 pm

Awesome. Awesome to the max. :D

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand