Advertisement

Review Group #416 - Marvel Triple Threat.NOW

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 993 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Review Group #416 - Marvel Triple Threat.NOW

Postby Grayson » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:03 pm

Ms. Marvel #1 - The first issue of the all-new Ms. Marvel series is pretty standard stuff by now. Kamala Kahn is a minority growing up in a large metropolitan area, who isn't necessarily unhappy with her life but does wonder what life is like on the other side. She has friends but those outside of her social circle don't understand her and don't really feel the need to take the time to get to know her better and her parents are strict and set in their ways. All of this leads to Kamala channeling her desire for something different through artistic expression in the form of superhero fan fiction. She loves the Avengers particularly the former Ms. Marvel, Carol Danvers, the current Captain Marvel. This is where the story takes it's most interesting turn. With all of the delays with Inhumanity and the upcoming (?) Inhuman series, it's easy to forget that the Terrigen Mists were released on the Earth, so when Kamala is exposed to these mists, it comes as somewhat of a shock. Kamala spends her time in the Inhuman cocoon with visions of her heroes who give her insight into the future before she emerges from her cocoon a perfect copy of Ms. Marvel herself! I wish that I could say that I was as impressed with this issue as it appears that the rest of the internet was but unfortunately the characters felt a little flat to me. I wish there would have been a little more depth to their interactions. Still, it was a promising first issue that is definitely worthy of a second glance. I'll pick up the second issue but I'm not sure that this is a book that I will continue to read regularly.

I was really happy to see that Adrian Alphona has returned to Marvel and is again working on a teen book. His style really goes a long way in capturing the youthful energy of the teenage world and although I felt that a few of his designs (like Kamala's father) felt out of place, his work was still a welcome addition to the Marvel NOW stable.

7.5 out of 10
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 389 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:03 pm

Captain America #16

I actually don't mind Jet Black. I have to admit that I did sort of enjoy her internal monologue at the beginning. Having said that, as the issue progressed, the wheels began to slowly fall off. Had I been a reader who hadn't read Uncanny Avengers I would have had no idea who this Red Skull was or his S-Men were. It's a common problem I've seen in a lot of comic book writers these days. Some of them simply assume that the reader has read the issues his their current story is based on. It's just bad writing, in my opinion, to make that assumption.

I found the last three pages in particular to be a complete mess. Cap shows up, makes some statements that make it seem like he's not actually him, and then Jet Black's father appears. Both these appearances together seem to be some sort of hallucination. The problem is that it seems to come out of nowhere with no explanation about why it's happening. Then, Jet Black is standing in the spot where she was before she encountered the Red Skull. Was it all a hallucination? It's not clear at all and I felt frustration and confusion after I was finished reading.

It all made for a very unsatisfying read. I'd say this was easily the worst issue of Remender's run so far.

3 out of 10, and I only give it that high a score due to how much I enjoyed the first eight pages.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:18 pm

Stephen Day wrote:I found the last three pages in particular to be a complete mess. Cap shows up, makes some statements that make it seem like he's not actually him, and then Jet Black's father appears. Both these appearances together seem to be some sort of hallucination. The problem is that it seems to come out of nowhere with no explanation about why it's happening. Then, Jet Black is standing in the spot where she was before she encountered the Red Skull. Was it all a hallucination? It's not clear at all and I felt frustration and confusion after I was finished reading.

Basically, after Avengers vs. X-Men the Red Skull somehow came to be in possession of Charles Xavier's body. He removed Xavier's brain and then somehow presumably attached it to his own brain. He instantly gained all of Xavier's abilities and apparently has complete control of them. I would assume that is basically the explanation for what happened at the end of this issue.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 389 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:30 pm

Grayson wrote:
Basically, after Avengers vs. X-Men the Red Skull somehow came to be in possession of Charles Xavier's body. He removed Xavier's brain and then somehow presumably attached it to his own brain. He instantly gained all of Xavier's abilities and apparently has complete control of them. I would assume that is basically the explanation for what happened at the end of this issue.

I hadn't thought of that and it's a good enough explanation. However, my criticism that this issue was written with the thought that every reader had read Uncanny Avengers still stands -- even more so now. As I said, I consider writing with that sort of assumption to be very bad writing.

Thank you Troy for the sig

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:38 pm

Any other suggestions for this week's pick?

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:49 pm

GLX wrote:Any other suggestions for this week's pick?

She-Hulk #1 or The Sixth Gun #38?
ImageImageImage

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:00 pm

Ms. Marvel was alright, 7 it gets another issue from me.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand