Advertisement

Review Group Week 159: RUNAWAYS #7

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:19 pm

:lol:

there's still a lot of people who haven't read and or given a review yet. :?

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 190 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:25 pm

thefourthman wrote:it took you twenty minutes to read that book? was a monkey holding it while swinging in a tree while you drove a car at 150 miles an hour while a clown poked you in the back of the head?

This is how it went,

I'd read a page-smack myself say what the fuck was that, read another few pages-hit myself with a hammer, pass out for about 10 minutes then read another page, walk away make myself a sandwich come back turn on the tv, realize hey I'm reading a shitty comic, then finish it.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:34 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:This is how it went,

I'd read a page-smack myself say what the fuck was that, read another few pages-hit myself with a hammer, pass out for about 10 minutes then read another page, walk away make myself a sandwich come back turn on the tv, realize hey I'm reading a shitty comic, then finish it.

okay, that makes a little sense then. I reread the damn thing and I still spent more time looking for the back issues that Miyawhoever did then I did reading it.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post
Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:20 pm

Runaways #7:

'Rock Zombies Part One' -

Moore, Miyazawa and Strain

Runaways was one of the first few comics that I started to read when I first diverged from my 4 comic pull list of mostly x-men titles. Runaways and Young Avengers were two titles that I tried that just had a different feel to them. And Runaways thanks to the amazing writing has stayed on my now much larger pull list to this day.

Now the problem with reviewing a book later in the week, means you end up either agreeing with everyone or contesting your point, however this week I just seem to be agreeing.
Ever since the end of Brian K Vaughn’s run has finished, the Runaways’ seem directionless and without cause. Joss Whedon’s run was good and would have been better if it had come out on time, but it was basically a “filler” arc. With Moore coming on and the re-numbering of the series, it would have been a perfect opportunity, to take a good look at the team, give them a purpose, a drive. This very much is Moore’s fault, I can’t find a single fault with his other work to date, but as a writer, it comes to you to make a book worth reading. I can’t believe this book has been reduced to Chase having a job, and some lame zombie/magic/villains.

Now the art itself is a high point of contention. I loved Miyazawa when he filled in on the old runaways volumes. I mean if it had to be a fill-in artist, I’m glad he pulled it off as well as he did. However now it feels like he just thinks he has free reign to redesign or slightly tweak the characters. I thought Chase was a girl, and victor looks like he’s come down with a nasty case of anorexia.

I always looked forward to the HC’s as I’ve collected this series, but I can’t even see me picking the next one up when it comes out. Runaways has gone from one of my favourite marvel books, to one that I couldn’t even be bothered reading.

Story – 4
Art – 4
A big fat 4 overall this week

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:34 am

I haven't the time for a long review so I'll keep it short and sweet.

This was the best issue of Moore's run so far, adn that isn't saying much. I don't know if it was the loss of Ramos' hyperkinetic art, but the characters finally got some space to breath and be themselves and interact in a way familiar to long time readers. Maybe Moore's just getting comfortable with the characters, and his worse has been miles better than Whedon's crapfest, but this title is still lacking.

I would have dropped Runaways if it hadn't been this week's pick. Honestly, I think it might be time to put the book out of its misery. The book has been fairly aimless since BKV left. With no evil parents/grown-ups, there's little to differentiate this book from any other teen supergroup book. They've got nothing to runaway from, and about the only worthwhile conflict they have is with their grocery bill.

Story: 6
Art: 7.5
Overall: 6.75

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:18 pm

Hmm what's this? The return of the review group? :-D

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:53 pm

It's no secret that I'm a huge Terry Moore fan and over the course of his run on Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, I became a Takeshi Miyazawa fan as well. Put the two of them together on one of my favorite series of the past couple of years and I'm bound to love it, right? Well, maybe love is a bit too strong a word, but I did like this a lot.

I'm not going to claim Moore's run on Runaways has been perfect, there have been a stumble or two but by the time we reached the end of his first arc I was enjoying his work just as much as I enjoyed any of the previous creators except for maybe the best of the BKV issues.

This comic is very much a transition piece to tack on an epilogue to the previous arc and set up the final two issues of Moore's run. I loved the characters playing Wii and the bit of interaction between Nico and Karolina. The transition to the fight at the Capitol Records building was a bit awkward on my first read through, but it was the most fun part of the book and had the best lines. Molly and Klara together is always good. When Val Rhymin was introduced in the first issue of this volume it was a very cringe worthy moment, but this issue made me hopeful that Moore can do something interesting with him. Bringing magic into the story with an acquaintance to the Minorus was a nice touch.

It's really surprised me to see how mixed everyone's reactions have been to Miyazawa's art this week. I absolutely love his work, especially when combined with Christina Strain's considerable talents as a colorist. Miyazawa's layouts always have a very natural flow to them whether he's doing talking heads or action sequences. The tone and feel of the art is just perfect for Runaways, I really wish Miyazawa would become the regular artist for the series.

Story: 7
Art: 8
Overall: 7.5

Re: Review Group Week 159: RUNAWAYS #7

Postby ****** » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:56 pm

amlah6 wrote:Image
Each Tuesday I will putting together all of our reviews and we will have our very own article on the front page of The Outhouse! If you would like for your review to be included, please try to have it posted by the end of day on Monday.

I'm not 100% sure of how I'm going to format it yet, but if for any reason you would prefer that your review not be included please let me know.

I think this is going to be a great addition to the awesomeness of the Review Group. Thanks to Misac for suggesting it.

Just a friendly reminder, if you want to have your review included in the front page article, you need to post it today. 8)

Postby ****** » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:04 pm

doombug wrote:Hmm what's this? The return of the review group? :-D

I don't know if "return" is really the right word. I prefer to think of it as an "upgrade". :wink:

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:14 pm

amlah6 wrote:I don't know if "return" is really the right word. I prefer to think of it as an "upgrade". :wink:

Hmmm :wink:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:28 pm

doombug wrote:Hmmm :wink:

How could it return if it never went away?

Maybe you're the one who is returning?

I just blew your mind!

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Punchy wrote:How could it return if it never went away?

Maybe you're the one who is returning?

I just blew your mind!

Nah, hey Punchy you got an extra Scott Pilgrim lying around? I really want to get into the series finally.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:26 pm

doombug wrote:Nah, hey Punchy you got an extra Scott Pilgrim lying around? I really want to get into the series finally.

I do not even have my own copy lying around!

But good news for you, Vol.1 is being reprinted, so there should be plenty of them out there for you to purchase with the currency of your choice.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Punchy wrote:I do not even have my own copy lying around!

But good news for you, Vol.1 is being reprinted, so there should be plenty of them out there for you to purchase with the currency of your choice.

I really want to get into the series after everything i've read. Maybe I'll see if I can find all the volumes at the convention in boston next month.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:20 pm

sorry but I didn't get this weeks book since I buy Runaways via trade but I'll get superman next week although my expectations are kind of low. The new krypton thing started out well but the ending sucked a big one in my eyes. It caused me to drop all superman related books.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand