Advertisement

Review Group Week 163 - MUPPET SHOW #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

What should we review next week?

Captain America Comics #1: 70th Anniversary Special
11%
Destroyer MAX #1
21%
Flash: Rebirth #1
63%
Franklin Richards: April Fools #1
No votes
Pride & Prejudice #1
No votes
Seaguy: The Slaves of Mickey Eye #1
5%

Total votes : 19

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:44 pm

amlah6 wrote:I almost put that in over P&P, but I didn't want to have two weeks in a row where people could potentially have trouble finding the pick if I could avoid it. Plus, since P&P is such an odd thing for Marvel to adapt I'm kind of curious about it.

I could ask Chip if I could give everyone the pdf...

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:46 am

The Muppet Show #1

So this book really caught the flavor of the show. The jokes were as I remembered them and I could almost here the exasperation in Kermit's voice when he threw his arms up in the air.

The only real miss is that the featured guests are kind of non existent... this is explained very well in the book and makes sense. I understand that it would be a chore to get the licensing right, but there should still be like George Clooney or Marilyn Manson or someone to give it a little bit of variety, other wise it really is fine.

The art has a charming quality to it, even if a few of the designs (most noticeably Kermit and Gonzo) are a little off.

This is a book with all the right touches. It is nostalgic but not wallowing in the past and best of all it is a kid's title that doesn't talk down to them. Probably the greatest testament to this book was my daughter's hour long festival last night of Muppet Shows on youtube. She wanted to see them and watched the John Cleese and Carol Burnett episodes. I have a strange child. Imagine that.

Story 8
Art 7
Overall 7.5

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:31 am

thefourthman wrote:I could ask Chip if I could give everyone the pdf...

Are you doing a BF review for it? Like I said in my post, I think it's kind of a curious thing for Marvel to publish. All the other literary stuff they've done has some kind of logical connection to the existing market along with being accessible to new readers, P&P seems like something that would have little appeal to the current marketplace and comics/graphic novels probably aren't all that appealing to the intended audience. I say that without having read the book though.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:17 am

amlah6 wrote:Are you doing a BF review for it? Like I said in my post, I think it's kind of a curious thing for Marvel to publish. All the other literary stuff they've done has some kind of logical connection to the existing market along with being accessible to new readers, P&P seems like something that would have little appeal to the current marketplace and comics/graphic novels probably aren't all that appealing to the intended audience. I say that without having read the book though.

no not P&P, although I might, I was talking the Boom! book, I could maybe get every body a PDF, I would have to ask my guy if it was okay...

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:22 am

amlah6 wrote:Are you doing a BF review for it? Like I said in my post, I think it's kind of a curious thing for Marvel to publish. All the other literary stuff they've done has some kind of logical connection to the existing market along with being accessible to new readers, P&P seems like something that would have little appeal to the current marketplace and comics/graphic novels probably aren't all that appealing to the intended audience. I say that without having read the book though.

While we are on the subject though... it has been done once before, so like all of Marvel's other ones it meets that criteria...

If Marvel is reaching out, then good. The problem is, if they reach out like DC and don't actually advertise out side the market then what does it matter?

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 12 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:31 pm

anyone know who or what that is a picture of in GLX's sig?

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:32 pm

Sire v 2.0 wrote:anyone know who or what that is a picture of in GLX's sig?

Vikki Blows.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Shitlord

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Hermit_Sage » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:35 pm

ahhh..... thanks

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 309 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:42 pm

Still on schedule to be here on tuesday.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Hermit_Sage » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:16 pm

The Muppets show

Yoni should still be shot for the pick. but it was a nice read its interesting with the whole show as a comic. Pretty entertaining.

its a childrens comic of the muppets so its not like I can be too critical of it. The jokes were fun it was pretty clever comic. I hope it finds an audience with the youngins, anything to get them into comics

overall - 6.5

Daringd
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Daringd » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:53 pm

I'm not going to waste even a second talking about this book but to say it ws crap...I don't know what it was but I was left hanging.
3/10

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:04 pm

The Muppet Show #1

I really wanted to like this, but I was left feeling let down. The art was fantastic and some of it was cute, but I didn't feel it worked well as a comic. There's a lot of funny books out there that are just that, funny, but this one just didn't do it for me.

That being said, it did make me want The Muppet Show back on the air. And perhaps it's time for me to start collecting the old series. The two old men, however, did seem pretty funny.

Story: 5
Art: 8
My Score: 6.5

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:17 pm

Couldn't find a copy even in London! Not in Gosh, not in Orbital, not even in Forbidden Planet, which is like the biggest comic shop ever.

Lame!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:29 pm

so is Flash Rebirth the official pick for next week?

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand