Advertisement

Review Group Week 173 - BATMAN and ROBIN #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

mike oxbig
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby mike oxbig » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:39 pm

starlord wrote:Totally agree. (Thought Damien's head still looks like Stewie)

I am OK with that. I am however surprised by your refutation of codpieces.

He's everything that the Image artists tried to kill off. The storytelling, the designs, the creativity, the general awesomtacularness, it can't be beat.

Advertisement

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 13 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:45 pm

man my week sucks!

Mr. Black wanna switch weeks?

otherwise I am torn between

Red Robin #1
Amazing Spider-man
Beta Ray Bill mini

I will probably end up with ASM but I am 4 issues behind so i dunno yet.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:49 pm

amlah6 wrote:I didn't pay much attention to it when I saw the previews, but when I read this today and realized that the windshield was actually a bat-symbol I geeked out a bit.

So you don't think on the title splash page it looks like a ladybug trying to pass a kidney stone?

I guess maybe I should cut back on the morning absinthe.

Maybe it'll grow on me. It doesn't look very sneaky, but since Damien is some kind of super-genius I assume it turns invisible or something.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:04 pm

Sire v 2.0 wrote:man my week sucks!

Red Robin #1
Amazing Spider-man
Beta Ray Bill mini

Resurrection v2 #1
WoK: Skaar by Gage
Start of new Punisher MAX arc

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:54 pm

starlord wrote:Batman and Robin #1

It amazes me that Didio has done it again. A man that I supported to his face last year in Chicago has done another bone head move. Putting the least talented writer and hook him up with one of comics top three artists is just down right wrong!

That being said, this wasn't horrible. It's the usual Grant pattern. Impress them at the beginning, make them loyal, then go so far out that nobody understands what they are reading so Grant can tell them they are all stupider than him. Can't wait for this familiar little roller coaster. :roll:

Still, the art was beautiful and I do like Grant's take on Damien. He reminds me of a cross between both tim and Jason. Not impressed at all with the villains, Dick is bland (more impressive as Nightwing) and the alfred I know would have slapped thee shit out of Damien with his first remark. Oh and the Batmobile sucks worse than Grant's entire X-Men run.

Love Quietly though.

Story: 2
Art: 9

My Score: 3

(I like good writing much more than great art)

I don't know if we could be lovers anymore.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:29 am

I would have picked Jesse James is a Dead Man.

Death. Defied.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 81 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:09 am

BubbaKanoosh wrote:I remember reading somewhere seeing a page of Batman where he is yelling "Batman can never die" or something that says 6 months later.

And that part at teh end of RIP, was that Dick in the outfit aswell?

yes.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:11 am

BubbaKanoosh wrote:he is one of those artists I find got worse over time.
but the story was suprisingly good, I will let it slide...

Quitely is an amazing story teller. The style here is grim and gritty and works. Why he draws superheroes in pajamas, I can't tell you , but he was doing it in ASS so I am used to it by now.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:17 am

starlord wrote:Batman and Robin #1

It amazes me that Didio has done it again. A man that I supported to his face last year in Chicago has done another bone head move. Putting the least talented writer and hook him up with one of comics top three artists is just down right wrong!

That being said, this wasn't horrible. It's the usual Grant pattern. Impress them at the beginning, make them loyal, then go so far out that nobody understands what they are reading so Grant can tell them they are all stupider than him. Can't wait for this familiar little roller coaster. :roll:

Still, the art was beautiful and I do like Grant's take on Damien. He reminds me of a cross between both tim and Jason. Not impressed at all with the villains, Dick is bland (more impressive as Nightwing) and the alfred I know would have slapped thee shit out of Damien with his first remark. Oh and the Batmobile sucks worse than Grant's entire X-Men run.

Love Quietly though.

Story: 2
Art: 9

My Score: 3

(I like good writing much more than great art)

I hate to sound like Punchy of all people, but um... dude, it sounds like you are letting outside (or past) influences taint this book.

And while I think maybe on his other mainstream superhero work, you may be right about him impressing and then getting far out there, but with Batman and Final Crisis, he just started out there and left those who couldn't catch up behind.

All that being said, you have to admire Morrison for pushing the envelope and trying new stuff. When he fails (Final Crisis) it is spectacular and when he succeeds (7 Soldiers) it is spectacular.

I mean two of comicdoms heavy hitters (Larsen and Kirkman) have already taken on the writing style of Final Crisis, it was innovative story telling, it just failed at a story level. Kirkman was not as successful as Larsen, but hey what you gonna do?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:24 am

Batman And Robin 1

"Lose the attitude, Robin. I can still offer Tim Drake his old job back."

Morrison's earlier Batman run was uneven, same with Final Crisis, and I didn't bother with Battle For The Cowl, so I was skeptical going into this. My doubts were for nothing, if the first issue of this series is any indication

This was a pretty awesome read. It's basically set up, but some good set up. I am liking the new dynamic between Dick and Damien and Alfred and Damien, Damien is a little brat, but I think thats fun. I like the new villains. Mr Toad works in a comedic sense.not. Fire headed guy? He seems like a henchman, guy for hire type deal. Prof. Pyg was really creepy and I think he is a welcome addition to Batman's rogues.

Quitely is hit or miss for me. Hated his New X-men, loved his work on We3 and ASS. This is something in the hit category. I love the way he tells a story here, with the panel layouts and what not. His figures might be a little off but eh. The flying Batmobile was cool, and I love the sound effects usage.

Story 9
Art 9

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:17 pm

I enjoyed this, I didn't love it, but it was a rock-solid Batman book, with very good art, no philosophical bullshit, just good storytelling.

Has Morrison turned a corner?

Review at the weekend.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 98 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:28 pm

Punchy wrote:I enjoyed this, I didn't love it, but it was a rock-solid Batman book, with very good art, no philosophical bullshit, just good storytelling.

Has Morrison turned a corner?

Review at the weekend.

Did you read Final Crisis: Submit (silly question, right)? I couldn't even tell that Morrison wrote that book.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:31 pm

MrBlack wrote:Did you read Final Crisis: Submit (silly question, right)? I couldn't even tell that Morrison wrote that book.

I read it, the Tattooed Man book?

Yeah, that was crap.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 98 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:37 pm

Sire v 2.0 wrote:man my week sucks!

Red Robin #1
Amazing Spider-man
Beta Ray Bill mini

I dunno. I'm seriously inclined to make everyone pick up a Transformers comic my week (Cliffjumper Spotlight), and Captain America #600 be damned! The only thing I could find to pick for next week is X-Factor, which would be a good pick.

Is there something you have in mind for June 17? Will you cave and pick Cap #600?[/quote]

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand