Advertisement

Review Group Week 178 - WEDNESDAY COMICS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:02 pm

The illustrious chappy's review of WC:
chap22 wrote:Wednesday Comics 1 -- a lot of times I don't know how much credit or blame to give Didio for the stuff DC does...he's obviously where the buck stops, and he's the fall guy, and taking on that burden is kinda admirable. But at the same time, the stories you hear about some of his practices from certain creators takes away any feelings of sympathy I have for him, b/c he really does sound like a control freak full of awful ideas. Where the DCU is now as a whole is so awful, that even the few books I unabashedly love I fear he'll realize they're good and try to do something to them himself and ruin them. so I don't know if WC is "his baby" or not, but what it is...is probably the single best thing DC has done since he's been there. Even after ony 1 issue. I love the format, the mix of characters, the creative team choices, hell, I even love the page-at-a-time serialness of the storytelling. That 1 page of Batman pissed me off so bad when I turned the page and I realized I had to wait a week to see WTF happened next...until I realized that's exactly what it's supposed to do. It's been a while since a comic gave me that feeling, and it made me love the Bat story that much more.

My favorites: Batman (terrific set-up), Hawkman (I LOVED the narration from the hawks' POV...great writing by Baker), Metamorpho (great kitschy kookiness from Gaiman/Allred), Metal Men (Didio's writing was OK, and MAN that Garcia-Lopez art...awesome), Supergirl (Connor's art is tremendous, and the Super-Pets promise fun), Sgt. Rock (daddy Joe's still got the goods), Superman (yeah, i'd buy a Bermejo-drawn Supes ongoing in a heartbeat) and Wonder Woman (i liked the dreamy quality of the art, and this appears to be setting up a nice non-continuity "classic hero's quest" type story to get Wondy into man's world). I was a bit disappointed by Adam Strange (i just don't like Pope's art, and the character's voices sounded "off"), Deadman (great art, but the set-up was too much rote origin re-telling...i wanted more actual story), GL (I expect Busiek to do much better as we move forward), and I just hate Kamandi as a concept, so that did nothing for me.

Up until about 2 or 3 weeks ago, I wasn't going to buy this book, but after picking this up yesterday, I say this without any reservation, this was pure comics joy. You can't make a project better for ALL readers than this was. 12 issues of this is NOT gonna be enough. I would gladly plunk down 4 bucks a week for this from now until eternity if DC wanted to publish it that long (and could consistently keep this kind of talent on it). I absolutely LOVED it.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:14 pm

I really hope that the success of Wednesday Comics translates into bigger sales for Strange Tales Max, because those guys deserve the spotlight as much as these guys do.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Honestly? I'd suggest Blackest Night #1 as it would be healthy for the review group turn out.

But it's your choice man, who gives a shit what the rest of us say?

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 46 posts

Postby MrBlack » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:35 pm

doombug wrote:Honestly? I'd suggest Blackest Night #1 as it would be healthy for the review group turn out.

It's the obvious choice, but not necessarily the fun choice.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:15 pm

thefourthman wrote:I think we should do this:
http://www.toon-books.com/book_littlemo ... ple_01.php

Funny stuff from a local kid all grown up and successful. His Wexner exhibit was pretty cool last year, but I missed my chance to get a bunch of stuff signed.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:33 pm

So how will they grade this thing at CGC I wonder?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:39 pm

House of J wrote:So how will they grade this thing at CGC I wonder?

same way they grade everything. It will be slack until they have seen a bunch. There will be a couple of 10.0s given to imperfect folds.

The interesting thing is if they will even grade them as it is nigh impossible to open it and return it to the condition it was in before unfolding. I can see a few graders losing their minds over this.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:47 pm

thefourthman wrote:same way they grade everything. It will be slack until they have seen a bunch. There will be a couple of 10.0s given to imperfect folds.

The interesting thing is if they will even grade them as it is nigh impossible to open it and return it to the condition it was in before unfolding. I can see a few graders losing their minds over this.

That was my point!

I was initially frustrated that the shelf copies looked to have been messed up by Diamond--sort of wavy--but the copies by the $ register were nice and smooth.

Fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa.

Whoa why were my words so big?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:49 pm

House of J wrote:[/b]

That was my point!

I was initially frustrated that the shelf copies looked to have been messed up by Diamond--sort of wavy--but the copies by the $ register were nice and smooth.

Fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa.

Whoa why were my words so big?

???
Wavy is not damage it is moisture... I run two dehumidifiers in my store to keep that shit from happening.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:59 pm

thefourthman wrote:???
Wavy is not damage it is moisture... I run two dehumidifiers in my store to keep that shit from happening.

Right, I know what you mean. I have a climate-controlled storage unit and dehumidifiers here as well.

I didn't look at them that closely, but I remember thinking it LOOKED like they weren't boxed flat, or something might have been infringing on them as a group in the box--but it could have been moisture, there was no way I was paying $3.99 for a fucked up one so I didn't care to look.

Remember, when the first Adventures of HP Lovecraft came out I was all cheesed off that all the books at that one LCS were moisture-damaged along the top edges? It wasn't at all like that, it was more like someone or something had sort of pressed them together from the sides and sort of wrinkled them.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:03 pm

House of J wrote:Right, I know what you mean. I have a climate-controlled storage unit and dehumidifiers here as well.

I didn't look at them that closely, but I remember thinking it LOOKED like they weren't boxed flat, or something might have been infringing on them as a group in the box--but it could have been moisture, there was no way I was paying $3.99 for a fucked up one so I didn't care to look.

Remember, when the first Adventures of HP Lovecraft came out I was all cheesed off that all the books at that one LCS were moisture-damaged along the top edges? It wasn't at all like that, it was more like someone or something had sort of pressed them together from the sides and sort of wrinkled them.

does the shop have custom shelves or racks, I.e. did the shop maybe squeeze them into a slot too small for the book?
Our shelves have adjustable edges, so as long as I don't have too many at once, I don't have too much problem with Viking, Wednesday or Next Issue Project (Holy Crap #2 is never coming out is it? :( )

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:07 pm

thefourthman wrote:does the shop have custom shelves or racks, I.e. did the shop maybe squeeze them into a slot too small for the book?
Our shelves have adjustable edges, so as long as I don't have too many at once, I don't have too much problem with Viking, Wednesday or Next Issue Project (Holy Crap #2 is never coming out is it? :( )

Could be shelfwear, I can't remember how they are designed. I haven't been going there very long and usually just whip in and out. That sure would explain it, though, and why the ones by the register were so nice.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:24 pm

thefourthman wrote:does the shop have custom shelves or racks, I.e. did the shop maybe squeeze them into a slot too small for the book?

Or Cowboy Ninja Viking! :-D

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:24 pm

Oh dear, IDK how I managed to leave the LCS today without this book. but I managed to do just that.

I'll review when I get next week's books.[/img]

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 177 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:16 pm

doombug wrote:Honestly? I'd suggest Blackest Night #1 as it would be healthy for the review group turn out.

Well you do.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand