Advertisement

Review Group Week 178 - WEDNESDAY COMICS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 232 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:57 am

thefourthman wrote:no, not really. Palmiotti and Conner even behave. Use your judgement on Sgt Rock, it is kind of grusome, but not really explicit.
And in Metamorpho, Simon Stagg says girls can't go on adventures because they're too dangerous.

Sexist!

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:04 pm

Can't wait to read this!

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:11 pm

thefourthman wrote:yup, no staples. Quarter fold. It is not as tall as a broadsheet but a little wider.
It is smaller than the Little Nemo in Slumberland Many Splendid Sunday Hardcovers, if you have ever seen those.

It also will need golden bags and boards for you collector types. Collector types will want two copies as it is near impossible to keep mint after it is opened.

So standard bags and boards just won't cut it?

I'm getting only 1. I really don't care

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 13 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:13 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:So standard bags and boards just won't cut it?

I'm getting only 1. I really don't care

standard are way too small. I use Silver and they are not big enough. Golden may be too small, but MAgs look to big.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:28 pm

Just got an email about the USA today strip spotlighting the Comic Shop Locator! Yay.

Then I read the article. The online version has a link to the site and the telephone number for the service.

The print version just has the web address. :roll:

What the fuck?

Wouldn't the telephone number be more useful to people reading the paper that aren't already on the internet?

Midas
cheese

Postby Midas » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:35 pm

Amoebas wrote:Comparing the grade of paper on Wednesday Comics to the Superman strip run in today's USAToday, as fourthman said, there's no bleed in the comic that is quite noticable in the actual newspaper. Whites are whiter and in particular, the final panel in newspaper has a blurry yellow/green undefined background that is quite clearly a multi-colored cloud scene in Wednesday Comics.

So whether it be paper or printing technique - the DC version looks FAR better than the USA Today version.

Sweet! Thanks guys. Looking forward to getting these in my BOC at the end of the month.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:06 pm

thefourthman wrote:standard are way too small. I use Silver and they are not big enough. Golden may be too small, but MAgs look to big.

I have no clue what I use

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:07 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:I have no clue what I use

is there any space on either side of your books (normal 32 page comics) when you store them?

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:09 pm

thefourthman wrote:is there any space on either side of your books (normal 32 page comics) when you store them?

A small amount, yes.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:29 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:A small amount, yes.

those are probably silver bags then. You will need golden age bags and boards they measure 7 5/8 inches by 10 1/2... this is what I have also had to use for Viking... Actually I have some Magazine sized Mylars that I had to buy for my Ignatz Collection books.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 173 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:02 pm

The Twatinater? I think I like that. And be careful there could be a RULK in your future.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:14 pm

thefourthman wrote:those are probably silver bags then. You will need golden age bags and boards they measure 7 5/8 inches by 10 1/2... this is what I have also had to use for Viking... Actually I have some Magazine sized Mylars that I had to buy for my Ignatz Collection books.

I don't really want to buy a whole bunch of gold bags for a 12 issue thing. :?

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:22 pm

Why are there two threads?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:44 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:Why are there two threads?

cause someone can't see all the threads on the front page. :roll:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:12 pm

I lost the review I was typing up, so I'll be brief. Wednesday Comics smells fantastic and is nearly perfect. The various styles of writing, art, lettering, layout, etc. all evoke the spirit of the old newsprint strips reinvented all over again. The creative match-ups are all so perfect I don't understand why all DC Comics can't be this way. I love the more obscure properties used, I was hoping for less of the A-Listers but the Lee Bermejo art in the Superman page and the logo of the Green Lantern page alone make them really shine as well. If there is one page I am less enthusiastic about, it's the Teen Titans page. The colors don't pop the way the other pages do, and this style is always confusing for me visually. I haven't read TT since Donna married Terry Long's Afro and so I don't get if the blonde (Wonder Girl?) is SUPPOSED to be a midget, or at least a person with abnormally stumpy legs, or what when I look at this. The eyes look like they are mushroomed out, big and cartoony and vacant. I can't relate as easily to characters drawn like this, it's a style I can never quite accept. Speaking of art styles, I haven't taken a close look at Paul Pope's work since we were both art students in Hopkins Hall. It's pretty interesting to remember old class critiques and look at his Strange Adventures page. Everything I felt were technical weaknesses in his early pre-published work is refined to stylistic elegance here. The lettering even looks familiar. Nice work, Paul! The Deadman strip is perfect, and Mike Allred's Metamorpho is masterful as well. Supergirl and The Metal Men look great and are going to be a lot of fun if these first pages are any indication. The Flash page & the Sgt. Rock page evoke old school DC to such a degree I wanted to see the old DC logo on this thing. I saw Joe Kubert at a con last year and there isn't a classier guy in the business. The Catwoman/Demon page needs more Demon but this is first issue set-up so no big deal, something to look forward to next week. Kyle Baker's Hawkman is, to me, the best single page of Hawkman I've ever seen in terms of art & writing paired.

The only thing I'd change is the Robot Chicken ad. It's the one thing that didn't cohere with the overall design of the issue, but is a necessary evil I guess.

In terms of storage, I may store flattened and open, like some store old newspapers (in fact using supplies made for papers). While this would probably be just fine in a golden b&b for a good long time, eventually those folded edges become the most brittle part of folded newspapers in most cases of longer-term acidification. Anyway, I bought 3 of them. I really hope this signals a turn around for DC, and also more properties and creative teams can be given a page after the initial 12 issues are up. Wouldn't it be cool if the second edition of WC were to feature different multiverses instead of waiting for a Grant Morrison extravaganza?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand