Advertisement

Review Group Week 178 - WEDNESDAY COMICS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:10 pm

thefourthman wrote:Those kids are already reading comics, they aren't going to want to pay for them...
DC and Marvel did a better job then the RIA at staying ahead of piracy (and more importantly going after the piraters with cease and desist order, not grandmas whose kids were just utilizing programs for millions of dollars)...

Scans Daily? :lol:

SD was irrelevant, hell I hadn't even heard of it until PAD got his panties in a twist. Until they start taking legal action against DCP, DC and Marvel are just looking the other way when it comes to piracy.

The digital revolution is a paradigm shift in income and the Comics companies have already shown that they are incapable of keeping up with the changes in printing and will easily fall on old gimicks to generate "different" (not new) avenues of revenue.

No doubt that someone is going to have to do it for the companies. DC doesn't seem to have a strategy and Marvel's reader is a joke for now. By the time comics do make it to e-readers though, Marvel is going to have a huge portion of it's back catalog digitized.

Advertisement

Postby ****** » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:14 pm

thefourthman wrote:also this is what the fourth generation of ereaders currently and this has been a twenty year trip to the fourth.

And we've now seen 2 generations in the last two years, the most recent of which has a screen that easily translates to the standard comics page and can read pdf files. All the current Kindle is missing is a hack for cbr/cbz and a color screen. (Not that I'm saying the color screen isn't a huge hurdle because it obviously is.)

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:14 pm

Wednesday Comics #1
When I picked this up I did not like the format from the get-go. I brought it home opened it up and still did not like it... then lightbulb! I brought that thing with me to the bathroom and that is easily the best place to read this thing. I still don't care for the the clumsiness of reading this, the serialization of the stories, or the paper it's printed on. Some of the stories were okay... The Flash, Superman, Batman, Hawkman, Metal Men, and Sgt. Rock were all solid. The others were a bore, it was like trying to read Sally Forth when I was a kid. The art was good I guess, I thought the lack of quality in the paper would take away from the art and some of the strips suffered but others could have been printed on toilet paper and still looked great. In the end, I am not spending 4 bucks on the equivalent of the Sunday funnies even if it is great poop reading.

STORY - 2 (What story?)

ART - 8

OVERALL - 5

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:18 pm

amlah6 wrote:And we've now seen 2 generations in the last two years, the most recent of which has a screen that easily translates to the standard comics page and can read pdf files. All the current Kindle is missing is a hack for cbr/cbz and a color screen. (Not that I'm saying the color screen isn't a huge hurdle because it obviously is.)

I don't understand why the manufacturers don't just push think pads. They do everything anybody could want them to do and exist, they just need to be affordable.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:22 pm

amlah6 wrote:No doubt that someone is going to have to do it for the companies. DC doesn't seem to have a strategy and Marvel's reader is a joke for now. By the time comics do make it to e-readers though, Marvel is going to have a huge portion of it's back catalog digitized.

Not just SD, there was that epirates or what ever, there are quite a few, and I am fairly sure there are a lot of bit torrents flowing around.
DC has a strategy, it is weird, Zuda (with a better but still broken reader) and the vertigo first issue initiative.
With all the remastering going on on both sides (and outside the big two) there are already big chunks digitized just not available to the public. About a third of the comps I get are PDFs and thats not just the new stuff. Why publishers still send me hard copies is beyond me and I try to encourage them not to... they should save that money and get it returned as sold profit. And Viz keeps sending me shit I ALREADY HAVE... I did get the next issue of Oinshinbo in the newest batch though and three volume of a book that my daughter reads (and has all of).
Hell Top Shelf sent me a book we had already FUCKING reviewed.

Postby ****** » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:34 pm

Starlord, please take notice of my awesome new avatar. kthxbai

Postby ****** » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:39 pm

thefourthman wrote:I don't understand why the manufacturers don't just push think pads. They do everything anybody could want them to do and exist, they just need to be affordable.

By the time my current laptop dies, tablet pc's will be the shiznit and I'm totally getting one. You do have the drawback of the weight making them not the most convenient reading device though. By comparison, most e-readers weigh the equivalent of a paperback book.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 177 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:58 pm

anyone care about next weeks pick?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:08 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:anyone care about next weeks pick?

The choice is obvious: Blackest Night #1

I'm going to my LCS wed so I can just buy all my comics at once. My schedule is tight. Sorry

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:11 pm

Yeah I think I have to just go ahead and pick blackest night. I hope it doesn't suck.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:24 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Yeah I think I have to just go ahead and pick blackest night. I hope it doesn't suck.

You know how bad that would be on the Internet? People would go NUTS! This thing is so anticipated and has all the hype that if it sucks, everyone will go ballistic

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:07 pm

amlah6 wrote:Starlord, please take notice of my awesome new avatar. kthxbai

"Starlord, please love me. kthxbai"

Fixed it for ya.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:You know how bad that would be on the Internet? People would go NUTS! This thing is so anticipated and has all the hype that if it sucks, everyone will go ballistic

Like House of M? Like Final Crisis? Like World War Hulk? Like Infinite Crisis? Like Countdown?

- Les Paul

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:23 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Like House of M? Like Final Crisis? Like World War Hulk? Like Infinite Crisis? Like Countdown?

I think this will be so much bigger. Especially with the setup

Postby ****** » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:24 pm

Old Man wrote:"Starlord, please love me. kthxbai"

Fixed it for ya.

You know me so well it's like you've opened a window into my non-existent soul.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand