Advertisement

Review Group Week 179 - BLACKEST NIGHT #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 23 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:38 pm

amlah6 wrote:In the effort of full disclosure (and me avoiding getting any work done this afternoon), my averages are 6.71 / 8.23

do me, do me... my scores, jack ass. :lol:

Advertisement

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:38 pm

amlah6 wrote:Again? I've yet to see you make a valid criticism of Marvel cosmic books.

And to back up my claim...

http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/view ... 72#1076872

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:46 pm

Great intro issue. Solid art, with some wicked writing. Looking forward to the next ish.

8.1* out of 10*

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:47 pm

thefourthman wrote:do me, do me... my scores, jack ass. :lol:

6.87 / 6.64

Titans #1 kind of fucks up your average for your own picks. Take it out and you're at 6.87 / 7.42

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:51 pm

What about me?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:03 pm

amlah6 wrote:You say that about every book that isn't your pick.

Yoni's average score for books picked by others: 5.27
Yoni's average score for books he picked: 7.50

But the groups average for my books are 6.43 which isn't too bad and I've picked some serious crap.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:21 pm

Blackest Night

Wow.

I was flip flopping back in forth in the months leading up to this event. The more I heard about it, the less I was intrigued by it. ("Zombies in space? Can't it be more than just that?") but this issue was really fucking good

It starts off like a horror movie. Nice quiet beginning, with the heroes (and some villains)all mourning the ones they have lost. It doesn't last long as the shit hits the fan. It's set-up, but it's damn good set-up.

Johns works some nice continuity nods in with Hal talking to Barry, and his referencing Tomasi's first arc on Nightwing. Plus, he totally kills two characters I don't like, so thats awesome.

Reis art gets better every time I see him. I love how he draws the GL constructs, and the effects of The Flash. His Black Lanterns are really creepy, and the deaths are brutal, just the way I prefer it.

With this first issue, things are looking good. I hope Johns avoids some crossover traps, like letting the story play out too much in other books. I also hope he doesn't somehow bring back to life everyone who has died permanetly, ad less zombiefied. Some can come back, but to bring them all back, seems like a waste to me, but thats just minor personal fanboy preferences.

Story 9.5
Art 9.5

It also totally helps I was wearing my Black Lantern ring as I typed this.:D NERD BONER

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:25 pm

I don't know about Nova if it's mid arc. It doesn't matter to me really.

Do my scores!!

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:49 pm

I just checked and it's my pick in a month and I like to think about these things well in advance. If I pick the $4.99 Daredevil #500, will people think I'm a dick/Not buy it due to price? The only other choice really is Batgirl #1
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:49 pm

amlah6 wrote:And to back up my claim...

http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/view ... 72#1076872

here's the review that goes with that...
Guardians of the Galaxy #11

By Lee Newman

Drax and Phyla are dead and searching for Moondragon. Even if that seems to be kind of a moot point, given their life disabled status. Maybe, who knows? It might have all just been a dream.

Guardians of the Galaxy is one of those weird books almost universally lauded, but doing absolutely nothing for this reader. Here we have a very confusing tale seemingly unconnected to the couple of issues right before it that tie into the big "War of Kings" event happening now. Yet in one of the two flagship books of the cosmic characters driving the event, we have some minor characters doing some vague Sandman via Dr. Manhattan on Mars thing. It is almost interesting until the characters start spouting off basic level existentialism and then laughably complaining when another character comes along and returns the favor.

A whole lot of talking happens in this book, but very little explanation as to what is happening. It sure is pretty though. Wes Craig guy sure can draw cool looking mechanical horse head buildings that appear to serve no purpose but look cool.

Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning (W), Wes Craig (A), Marvel Comics, $2.99

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/lowdown/p ... s-for-0513

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:50 pm

amlah6 wrote:6.87 / 6.64

Titans #1 kind of fucks up your average for your own picks. Take it out and you're at 6.87 / 7.42

Titans number one shouldn't have fucking sucked so hard.

ThrillHouse
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby ThrillHouse » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:51 pm

A pretty good start up issue for a mega event. Killing off the Hawks though is pretty meh-inspiring as far as "big" deaths go. The art was AWESOME and Zombie Elongated Man looked wicked.

8/10

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:53 pm

King Impulse wrote:I just checked and it's my pick in a month and I like to think about these things well in advance. If I pick the $4.99 Daredevil #500, will people think I'm a dick/Not buy it due to price? The only other choice really is Batgirl #1

We have said over and over and over - pick the book you want to pick and the complainers be damned. I'm gonna pick a graphic novel one week just to fuck with everyone. To make it worse, when I do, it will be one that a company comped me and I had months ago, better hope KNights of the Lunch Table, Amulet or Dogs VOlume one don't come out the week of my pick.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:54 pm

King Impulse wrote:I just checked and it's my pick in a month and I like to think about these things well in advance. If I pick the $4.99 Daredevil #500, will people think I'm a dick/Not buy it due to price? The only other choice really is Batgirl #1

Looks like people will think you're a dick either way.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:57 pm

thefourthman wrote:We have said over and over and over - pick the book you want to pick and the complainers be damned. I'm gonna pick a graphic novel one week just to fuck with everyone. To make it worse, when I do, it will be one that a company comped me and I had months ago, better hope KNights of the Lunch Table, Amulet or Dogs VOlume one don't come out the week of my pick.

That'll be a nice short thread that week.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand