Advertisement

Review Group Week 179 - BLACKEST NIGHT #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:02 pm

House of J wrote:That'll be a nice short thread that week.

no it wouldn't... you would rag on me for three hundred posts for picking it. (as would everyone else, at least if it were Amulet GLX would stop by.)

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:10 pm

thefourthman wrote:no it wouldn't... you would rag on me for three hundred posts for picking it. (as would everyone else, at least if it were Amulet GLX would stop by.)

I've pre-written my rags in advance that can be instantly adapted to whatever you pick like Madlibs.

Oh yeah, how did the PKD book sell this week in your shop?

If this doesn't run to completion I will be inconsolable.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:12 pm

House of J wrote:I've pre-written my rags in advance that can be instantly adapted to whatever you pick like Madlibs.

I no longer do that. Having my own soapbox, I pick things that I think will work to the benefit of the group. I've even had a poll or two to decide what to pick along the way. If there is a book I am really passionate about, I have my own ways of getting it read.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:13 pm

Oh yeah, how did the PKD book sell this week in your shop?

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:16 pm

Blackest Night #1

I would like to say that this book didn't disappoint me in any way shape or form. Granted it's the first issue, it was still spectacular.

Johns starts out this mega-hyped, mega event with a wonderful first issue. His writing here was pretty freakin' awesome if I do say so myself. He really has a little bit of it all: Some mourning of the dead superheroes, a sentimental moment between Hal and Barry, some love (I'm looking at you Hawks, and I guess Dibnys), some betrayal (I can't wait to see where Scar goes from here) and some brutal deaths. Elongated Man and Sue were pretty hardcore with their killings of the Hawks. And I guess the BL's use hearts to charge, which is pretty freakin' scary. I also can't wait to see what J'onn does. That's going to be intense.

Ivan Reis is developing into one of DC's best artists, if not the best. His art is fantastic and amazing to look at. I loved that two page spread at the beginning with the four Earth GL's, the two page spread of Hal showing Barry all the people that died, and the two page spread of the BL's on Oa. He's such an amazing artist and the art is almost perfect, IMO, in this issue. He makes BL Elongated Man look so scary. I was actually creeped out.

Amazing issue. I definitely can't wait for more

Story- 9
Art- 9.5
Overall- 9.25

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:38 pm

House of J wrote:Oh yeah, how did the PKD book sell this week in your shop?

It sold about as well as I imagined. We went through about half the stock, which was somewhat meager... we probably got about half our order of Walking Dead. The fans are genuinely excited about it. I don't know that Boom has ever canceled a project, but then again this is the longest running book they have ever attempted to publish.

The owner of the shops said it was boring, but I asked him why he was even attempting to read a book with so many words and he said he wasn't sure, he guessed he just liked Blade Runner enough to give it a shot.

Other than the Disney books, this is the most successful launch I have ever seen for a Boom property, even things like North Wind, the Far Scape books and their other various hits through out the last few years have been on a much slower burn then this. Waid has a good handle on what the company was doing before he got there and seems to have lead the company in a manner to keep that edge and expand in baby steps, the rise of boom! has not been meteoric in any sense, but it has been measured and conservative while producing some genuinely interesting reads. Their books often suffer in the art and they seem to have found themselves a house style that is very similar to the art on display here. I have enjoyed much of their out put.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:45 pm

For the record, I just finished my final draft of the review. It stands untouched in content, it is merely changed in grammatical areas and wording. Will post my score, summary and quote when live, hopefully tomorrow.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:54 pm

Blackest Night #1

This was a fun read and a very well executed first issue,. I really like how the first half of the book was the establishment of the status quo and the rest was the tearing down of it. This read very easy for me considering I knew nothing of this beforehand, sure there may have been some parts where I was scratching my head a little like whenever they were talking about some of the past departed heroes by first name but I got the gist of things despite my lack of DC knowledge. This goes on a very very short list of DC comics that we have reviewed that I will continue reading (the other being House of Mystery) , I am actually pretty interested in what happens next and I think the concept of dead heroes coming back not quite themselves is pretty freaking cool. Oh yeah... Hawkman is so lame and I am glad he is dead.

STORY - 9

ART - 8

OVERALL - 8.9

I did not get a ring and if I did I definitely would not be wearing it... freaking losers :D

Postby ****** » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:54 pm

thefourthman wrote:We have said over and over and over - pick the book you want to pick and the complainers be damned. I'm gonna pick a graphic novel one week just to fuck with everyone. To make it worse, when I do, it will be one that a company comped me and I had months ago, better hope KNights of the Lunch Table, Amulet or Dogs VOlume one don't come out the week of my pick.

Picking something other than a single issue comic would be a total dick move and has been an unspoken rule forever. Not all of us have the option of reading the picks for free off the shelf like you do.

Postby ****** » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:57 pm

King Impulse wrote:I just checked and it's my pick in a month and I like to think about these things well in advance. If I pick the $4.99 Daredevil #500, will people think I'm a dick/Not buy it due to price? The only other choice really is Batgirl #1

$5 is the new $4. I don't think it would be that big of a deal.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:57 pm

I am down with Nova or Immortal Weapons... my review will probably be late, I leave for San Diego Wednesday before I can get my books and I don't get back till the following week.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:59 pm

amlah6 wrote:Picking something other than a single issue comic would be a total dick move and has been an unspoken rule forever. Not all of us have the option of reading the picks for free off the shelf like you do.

I was just being a prick, I would have done it before now if I were going to do it.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 pm

Blackest Night #1

All the praise that's being heaped on the art of this first issue is well deserved. Comicgasmic in my opinion.

The story was well done and Johns played to his strengths here. If anyone gets the relationships and characters of the DC Universe, it's this guy! I actually was surprised by the ending, and LOVED who the murderers were. This was exactly how an event should start, tying in tons of little threads that he and others have wove through the tapestry for the last few years.

Story: 9.5
Art: 10

My Score: 9.75

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:09 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:I am down with Nova or Immortal Weapons... my review will probably be late, I leave for San Diego Wednesday before I can get my books and I don't get back till the following week.

I'm just getting my books at San Diego :-D

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:13 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:I'm just getting my books at San Diego :-D

some people are loyal to their shops. :P

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand