Advertisement

Review Group Week 180 - IMMORTAL WEAPONS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 130 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:38 pm

thefourthman wrote:I should review tonight... depends on how I feel. Night time has been rough the past few days.

The ol' wife not letting you rest, is she? nudge nudge wink wink know-what-i-mean?

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:47 pm

House of J wrote:That sounds about right, then. Everyone else seemed to march in lock-step around 7.5-8. Thinking back on all the comics I've read over the years, no way would I give this book an 8. It was ok. I still admit it might be more interesting to an Iron Fist reader, and I'm not sure I've read anything else by the writer.

Jason Aaron is one of the best writers working today, Scalped, The Other Side, Wolverine and Ghost Rider are all insanely good.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:48 pm

House of J wrote:That sounds about right, then. Everyone else seemed to march in lock-step around 7.5-8. Thinking back on all the comics I've read over the years, no way would I give this book an 8. It was ok. I still admit it might be more interesting to an Iron Fist reader, and I'm not sure I've read anything else by the writer.

If you didn't like this I probably wouldn't recommend his Ghost Rider, but both The Other Side and Scalped from Vertigo are well worth your time to check out. Scalped, especially if you like crime stories.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:49 pm

House of J wrote:The ol' wife not letting you rest, is she? nudge nudge wink wink know-what-i-mean?

wow, your knowledge of the history of the group is scary considering the holes it has.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:50 pm

amlah6 wrote:If you didn't like this I probably wouldn't recommend his Ghost Rider, but both The Other Side and Scalped from Vertigo are well worth your time to check out. Scalped, especially if you like crime stories.

Cool. I don't know if I'd like GR or not, he's never been a favorite solo character of mine. If I see a cheap trade of the others I'll check 'em out.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:51 pm

thefourthman wrote:wow, your knowledge of the history of the group is scary considering the holes it has.

It was a joke. Keep the poison from your glands to yourself!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:51 pm

House of J wrote:Cool. I don't know if I'd like GR or not, he's never been a favorite solo character of mine. If I see a cheap trade of the others I'll check 'em out.

I'd never read a Ghost Rider book before his run, and I love it.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:51 pm

House of J wrote:Cool. I don't know if I'd like GR or not, he's never been a favorite solo character of mine. If I see a cheap trade of the others I'll check 'em out.

The Other Side is amazing. I am not as into Scalped as everyone else. It is solid, just doesn't quite rock my world like it seems to for everyone else. Ghost Rider is good pulpy horror fun. Weapon X is an above average Wolverine book, which in the end doesn't mean a whole lot.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:52 pm

House of J wrote:It was a joke. Keep the poison from your glands to yourself!

I will gladly give you all you want!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:53 pm

thefourthman wrote:The Other Side is amazing. I am not as into Scalped as everyone else. It is solid, just doesn't quite rock my world like it seems to for everyone else. Ghost Rider is good pulpy horror fun. Weapon X is an above average Wolverine book, which in the end doesn't mean a whole lot.

Well, I like good pulpy horror, maybe I would like it. I guess I feel reticent to try another Wolverine book but glad someone has found an interesting angle on him.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:47 pm

I liked this book a lot. I liked the epic scope of Cobra's story and the Heroes for Hire feel of the back up. Lark's art was amazing in his bit and the Suayan stuff was nice too. Foreman sucks almost as bad as Stroman and should be left in a closet with no clothes and Yoni as his only companion.

Story 8
Art 8
Overall 8

If I remember I will ink the real review when it goes live.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:11 am

thefourthman wrote:Foreman sucks almost as bad as Stroman

Too far! :evil:

The father's eyes were a bit bugged out even if he was probably stoned out of his mind, but the rest of Foreman's work in this issue was exceptional now that he's been paired up with Guadiano on inks.

I think if Marvel would just let Foreman do 6 issues a year in his Ares style, he wouldn't be getting hammered online like he has been.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:42 am

amlah6 wrote:Too far! :evil:

The father's eyes were a bit bugged out even if he was probably stoned out of his mind, but the rest of Foreman's work in this issue was exceptional now that he's been paired up with Guadiano on inks.

I think if Marvel would just let Foreman do 6 issues a year in his Ares style, he wouldn't be getting hammered online like he has been.

I like Foreman, I really liked Ares, and his work early on in IMIF was good, but recently he has taken to the inconsistencies of Stroman, I don't know if it is laziness or what, but there are at least four different faces for Rand here, unacceptable. If you recall, Stroman was good once upon a time too.

The thing that really bugs me is that with Foreman, Stroman and that Huat guy doing this crappy art, they almost have a new housestyle going. Why they pair these guys with some of their strongest writers is beyond me, but it is not conducive to selling books.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:18 am

Punchy wrote:The rest of the group are all big fans of child murder.

and rape. Never leave out rape.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 152 posts

Postby MrBlack » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:13 am

Agreed. Even without the child murder thing, which really just rubbed me the wrong way, I wouldn't give the book an outstanding score. It was entertaining, but a little chopped up. The backup was good though.

I did enjoy the Ghost Rider issue that we reviewed a while back.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand