Advertisement

Review Group Week 183 - ULTIMATE COMICS AVENGERS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Benderbrau
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Proud Underachiever

Postby Benderbrau » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:11 pm

House of J wrote:You either need to read through our incidental rantings and ramblings, or wait for the steadfast Amlah, who seems to have fled for now, to distill the accumulated reviews from the morass and post them next week.

Ah. Okay. I'm going back to drinking then. Wake me when the Dutch humper gets here.
"Dude, I bow down to you, you are the worlds greatest ballbuster." -Jude Terror
"Sorry, nate! I think you automatically lose all arguments from now on, simply due to the fact that the only person willing to back you up is batshit insane!" - Dragavon
"Everything I know I learned from reading your posts." - Nietoperz

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:18 pm

House of J wrote:[SIGH!] Gaaaaawd, it's so boring when you go off topic.

:wink:

So, in eBay news...

People who read vampire fiction are fruitcakes.

Staying on-topic was causing too many arguments.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:56 pm

Punchy wrote:I'm sorry, but this review is bullshit, so it's not the best thing ever, and you give the story a 3/10? You say it's as good as all the other good team books, and it's only a 3/10? Does not compute. Most books are not awe-inspiring, to fault a book for not reinventing the wheel is a flawed expectation.

I think you are biased against Millar and also Marvel as a whole, you gave Doom Patrol a 4/10 for story! You gave Blackest Night a 9.5/10 for story! Was the gulf between that book and this so large?

First let me say in all sincerity, I really like you Punch. You're a cool guy and though I disagree with many of your tastes in comics, I respect them, as I do everyones.

Perhaps if you had started your response to my review with I think you are wrong or I have to disagree with you, that would be one thing, but the second you proclaim my thoughts to be bullshit, you have offended me.

bottom line is I didn't care for it. Not because it was Millar, but because I find it adequate at best. I actually gave it a higher score and was nicer than I wanted to be out of respect for those who really like the Ultimate Avengers (yourself included). As for Doom Patrol, there are very few writers I enjoy more than Giffen, but I was not biased when I stated that his first issue of that series was sucky at best.

And I am NOT biased against Millar OR Marvel. In fact, as I'm preparing for my end of the year top five I will tell you that unless something horrendous happens from Marvel, they have been at the top of their game this year. Much better than DC.

If anything, I think perhaps your love for Millar and the Ultimate line has made you a bit biased and perhaps way too defensive.

However, if you are right and I just randomly decided to hate it, then perhaps I don't belong in this fun little group. That'll save me money on a weekly basis.

Seriously Punch, this has really offended me just a little. I thought better of you as a fellow comic geek and an E-friend.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:06 pm

No Star! Punchy was just worked up a little and now that I see your reason I understand your score sir.

I know I was confused by the first sentence of your review looking at your score but you should not leave the group over this. :cry:

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:10 pm

I have a problem.

I probably won't be able to get Daredevil this week, as I've missed the past two weeks of comics, so my load will be big. So, probably no Daredevil

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:18 pm

doombug wrote:No Star! Punchy was just worked up a little and now that I see your reason I understand your score sir.

I know I was confused by the first sentence of your review looking at your score but you should not leave the group over this. :cry:

Oh I probably won't quit the group, as much as my instinct is to do so. Just a tad offended. I'll get over it. I'm a big boy.

And I can see how my review and my score could be confusing, Doom. Totally understand that part of it.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 0 post

Postby McKegan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:20 pm

starlord wrote:Oh I probably won't quit the group, as much as my instinct is to do so. Just a tad offended. I'll get over it. I'm a big boy.

You should ban thefourthman if it makes you feel better.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:21 pm

starlord wrote:Oh I probably won't quit the group, as much as my instinct is to do so. Just a tad offended. I'll get over it. I'm a big boy.

And I can see how my review and my score could be confusing, Doom. Totally understand that part of it.

Punchster was a bit worked up this week wasn't he? In the 20 year olds defense, it was his book. He might have taken the scores a little personally.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:27 pm

doombug wrote:Punchster was a bit worked up this week wasn't he? In the 20 year olds defense, it was his book. He might have taken the scores a little personally.

*sigh*

I'll never understand that kind of fanatical loyalty to a book or a person, but again, I try to respect it in others (though I do tend to rib people about it more often - good naturedly of course). but really, Chris and I seem to be the only ones who gave it a low score.

On the other hand, he does have youth on his side, and I'm a sucker for a 20 something year old. ;-)

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:30 pm

McKegan wrote:You should ban thefourthman if it makes you feel better.

but I absolutely love your new avatar. The daughter and I went to see it today, it is brilliant!
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:35 pm

thefourthman wrote:but I absolutely love your new avatar. The daughter and I went to see it today, it is brilliant!

Saw it with my family today. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

That said, Starlord is very upset. For the good of the group he's going to have to ban you.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:50 pm

McKegan wrote:Saw it with my family today. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

That said, Starlord is very upset. For the good of the group he's going to have to ban you.

Your compassion touches me. :lol:

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:56 pm

starlord wrote:Your compassion touches me. :lol:

I'm all heart.

Well, 55% heart. The rest is equal parts Jack Daniels and Jameson's.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:07 am

starlord wrote:but really, Chris and I seem to be the only ones who gave it a low score.

A couple others did as well.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:10 am

Chris wrote:A couple others did as well.

yeah, I want back and double checked after I posted, my bad. :oops:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand