Advertisement

Review Group Week 184 - DAREDEVIL #500

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:49 pm

Technically, it isn't a Zombie film, 'The Infected' aren't dead, they aren't Zombies.

My Review wrote:One of the films responsible for the resurgence in popularity of Zombies, and yes, I know that ‘The Infected’ in the film are not actually zombies, and they run too fast and purists hate them, but it was a damn good film, and this is a damn good comic.

http://www.theouthousers.com/content/view/4121/146/

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:51 pm

amlah6 wrote:Dude's a maroon, it's totally a zombie movie.

I agree but everything online that is official from 20th Century Fox cleaverly avoids Zombie. The best I can get is a cut quote from a review, it's on the site for the movie though so if nothing else that will help the cause. I just have to watch my p's and q's. I can't be all like "You fucking douche of course its a fucking Zombie movie!" Which is the only answer needed... something tells me I will get in trouble for that no matter how many reviews I write for them.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:52 pm

Punchy wrote:Technically, it isn't a Zombie film, 'The Infected' aren't dead, they aren't Zombies.

http://www.theouthousers.com/content/view/4121/146/

just because they are smart and fast doesn't make them not zombies. Purists are stupid because the only person that a Romero Zombie would kill is a legless old woman with no arms.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 352 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:54 pm

Sorry it's taken so long to get to this review but with Freshmen Move in and some problems that hopefully will be nothing with Joe my review has been delayed till now.

I start this review as I start many, I don't read;Marvel, DC, Continuity Comics, blah blah blah.

Once upon a time I read Daredevil back in the early Bendis days which I enjoyed till the god awful Echo arc. At which point I dropped the book and have never looked back. I also grew very tired of Alex Maleev's art style which seemed to get darker and more disjointed and static as his acclaim and use of the word gritty grew.

In my early comic buying days I also picked up a book called Sleeper which the Internet was all a flutter with. Sleeper still ranks as one of the best books I've ever read. Based on my love of Sleeper and Batman I gave Gotham Central a try. I thought it could be something continuing to read but then there was that "gritty" art again it hurt the book for me and I had no interest in it. I tried a few more times with Lark but alas it always hurt the story more than it helped. Then Sleeper takes a shit on it's ending and Brubaker is fed up with Wildstorm and leaves for Marvel....

Here we are today and other than Captain America Brubaker hasn't impressed me with anything he's done since Sleeper and that trend continues today. This issue had shades of sleeper what with the time lines and such but beyond that it just felt like something Bendis had written 4-5 years ago. Matt's life is in shambles he puts his dick in anything that with wriggle back, oh and Ninjas. That's right Ninjas. I realize this is a last issue of a storyline I didn't read so convolution is the name of the game but it started to feel like hey all this has been set up it can't work in favor for matt but wait like 20 issues ago we set up something that no one saw coming and now we're showing you how it happened, this occasionally works in movies but in comics it totally sucks as a story device. As for the next step in Matt's life...gahhhhhhhhh.

I really hope Diggle comes on with an artist with a new style. It's time to actually show a change in DD. Like I said this issue just felt like more bendis and one of the big reasons is Lark. The fight scenes were ok but it looked like photos taken so far apart from eachother that it didn't fit together.

When the fuck did the Owl get Wolverine claws??? When??? Once again why the book felt like Bendis. Bendis did everything but lick the Owl's ball sack Brubaker...not helping your cause.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:55 pm

thefourthman wrote:just because they are smart and fast doesn't make them not zombies. Purists are stupid because the only person that a Romero Zombie would kill is a legless old woman with no arms.

They aren't the resurrected dead though, so they aren't Zombies.

They serve the exact same purpose, and as I said in my review, the film played a part in bringing back Zombies but to a pedant, they aren't Zombies.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:58 pm

Punchy wrote:They aren't the resurrected dead though, so they aren't Zombies.

They serve the exact same purpose, and as I said in my review, the film played a part in bringing back Zombies but to a pedant, they aren't Zombies.

I don't know it's been ages since I watched it, I know you had to get bit to be infected, but I don't remember any other particulars... maybe some time this week I'll give it another viewing. Maybe Shiro can start the film review group again and we can have a nice old pissing match over it.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:06 pm

thefourthman wrote:I don't know it's been ages since I watched it, I know you had to get bit to be infected, but I don't remember any other particulars... maybe some time this week I'll give it another viewing. Maybe Shiro can start the film review group again and we can have a nice old pissing match over it.

Yeah, if they bite you, you become infected, but they aren't dead people rising up and shuffling around, they are alive, just with a disease.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:11 pm

Punchy wrote:Yeah, if they bite you, you become infected, but they aren't dead people rising up and shuffling around, they are alive, just with a disease.

Really your argument is completely invalid. Until an autopsy is completed to show that the heart never stops and they don't actually die before becoming, "undead" People eaters they will be zombies.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:12 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Really your argument is completely invalid. Until an autopsy is completed to show that the heart never stops and they don't actually die before becoming, "undead" People eaters they will be zombies.

You don't need an autopsy to prove that they aren't dead, because they can die if they don't eat.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:16 pm

Punchy wrote:You don't need an autopsy to prove that they aren't dead, because they can die if they don't eat.

the movie didn't occur over a long of enough period of time to show this... that sounds like some sequel shenanigans.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:18 pm

thefourthman wrote:the movie didn't occur over a long of enough period of time to show this... that sounds like some sequel shenanigans.

It's mentioned in the comic you reviewed!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:20 pm

Punchy wrote:It's mentioned in the comic you reviewed!

where? the bitch just chops of their heads...

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:21 pm

thefourthman wrote:where? the bitch just chops of their heads...

They say that most of The Infected in London have died.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 99 posts

Postby MrBlack » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:21 pm

thefourthman wrote:he hasn't answered a pm I sent him several days ago. THey done run him off, anyone have his real email?

PM sent.

Hope he's okay.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:22 pm

Punchy wrote:You don't need an autopsy to prove that they aren't dead, because they can die if they don't eat.

I still call shananigans. Zombie's might have died from heat exhaustion. The Brain Literally fries.

- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand