Advertisement

Review Group Week 187 - DARK REIGN: THE LIST - AVENGERS

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:37 pm

Jubilee wrote:I think Old Mans review is the worst review of anything I've ever read/heard/seen ever.

Write your own review then.

I was amused, but I stopped at SPOILERS.

Advertisement

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:20 pm

Who is the woman Clint sleeps with? Is it Mockingbird? Who are the characters who make appearances in the story, yet go un-named? Which Captain America is this? Spider-Man and Spider-Woman are obvious. Is Ms. Marvel still calling herself Ms. Marvel? Who is the flying guy with the 'S' emblem? We know it can't be Superman. Superman is published by DC, not by Disney Comics.

Completely stupid points, which could be said about any comic reviewed in this group.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 74 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:22 pm

Jubilee wrote:Who is the woman Clint sleeps with? Is it Mockingbird? Who are the characters who make appearances in the story, yet go un-named? Which Captain America is this? Spider-Man and Spider-Woman are obvious. Is Ms. Marvel still calling herself Ms. Marvel? Who is the flying guy with the 'S' emblem? We know it can't be Superman. Superman is published by DC, not by Disney Comics.

Completely stupid points, which could be said about any comic reviewed in this group.

It does seem to be a review of his ignorance, rather than the book's quality.

But maybe there is something to be said that a reader who hadn't been following Dark Reign was lost (thought I suspect he was exaggerating for comic effect)

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:25 pm

Yes, if you havn't picked up a comic in the last 5 years from Marvel, it might be confusing. However, if he did this for every comic, it'd soon get boring.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 74 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:26 pm

Jubilee wrote:Yes, if you havn't picked up a comic in the last 5 years from Marvel, it might be confusing. However, if he did this for every comic, it'd soon get boring.

Hey, he's Old, Man. :P

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 133 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:30 pm

No offense to old man but that is one of the weirder reviews I've ever read in the review group.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 70 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:33 pm

Oh boy, can't wait to read that one, CONTROVERSY!!!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:21 pm

Jubilee wrote:Who is the woman Clint sleeps with? Is it Mockingbird? Who are the characters who make appearances in the story, yet go un-named? Which Captain America is this? Spider-Man and Spider-Woman are obvious. Is Ms. Marvel still calling herself Ms. Marvel? Who is the flying guy with the 'S' emblem? We know it can't be Superman. Superman is published by DC, not by Disney Comics.

or you could just accept the fact that he hated the comic.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Fintan
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Fintan » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:26 pm

I'm not sure about this one. I was expecting it to be double length or something. Really just felt like a new avengers issue. I liked it but they wasted a few pages on the argument over killing norman which they'd already done. Everything else was good. Except that I was also confused for a minute by the daken and hawkeye page. Other than that I enjoyed the art.

Story 6.5
Art 8
overall 7

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:36 pm

Jubilee wrote:I think Old Mans review is the worst review of anything I've ever read/heard/seen ever.

I think this is the worst feedback I've ever read/heard/seen ever. :cry: :wink:
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:39 pm

I thank you for your insightful response. Your final sentence -- Completely stupid points, which could be said about any comic reviewed in this group. -- tells me all I need to know about your respect to this group and site. Why do you have over 4000 posts if you feel this way? Are you really a sockpuppet for Brian Bendis?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:53 pm

ITT: Brits take on the elderly!

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:54 pm

Punchy wrote:It does seem to be a review of his ignorance, rather than the book's quality.

But maybe there is something to be said that a reader who hadn't been following Dark Reign was lost (thought I suspect he was exaggerating for comic effect)

It is indeed a review partially of ignorance, as I emphasized that any new reader would be totally lost. And it is a review of ignorance of what Bendis has been writing, as I do not regularly read his work. I stated up front that I dislike his work, so that means I don't buy it. So I am ignorant of the happenings in any Avengers book.

As Ares was introduced on the first page, I knew who he was during the entire story, even if I didn't know his powers. I knew the premise that Osborn was in charge. Even though I knew it, nowhere in the story do I remember it saying that Clint Barton was once Hawkeye. Amazingly, the characters introduced in the first 10 pages are insignificant to the story told in this issue, whilst characters appearing later in the story are never introduced. These are bad storytelling techniques. If you make your comic book universe insular, you make it difficult for new readers to become part of that universe. Let me repeat that:

If you make your comic book universe insular, you make it difficult for new readers to become part of that universe.

Let me give a more understandable review for Jubilee:

I didn't like it. I didn't care for the storytelling, I wasn't crazy about the art, and it didn't have enough BAM! moments for 4 bucks. Plus I hate bald people like Bendis.

{{yeah, that's me being sarcastic as all hell}}

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:54 pm

Punchy wrote:Maybe you should change your name to Odd Man!

I'll take that under consideration.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:58 pm

Jubilee wrote:However, if he did this for every comic, it'd soon get boring.

I won't. I did a few reviews for a now defunct site some years ago. After awhile, I got pretty boring to myself, so I can imagine how the readers felt. So I quit reviewing.

I'll continue to review here as long as I feel I have something to say and as long as I don't get bored with it. And I don't expect everybody to like me or my reviews.

Edited to add: I did find that the easiest books to review were those that I really liked or disliked. Enthusiasm and disgust seem to be real motivators to me.
Last edited by Old Man on Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand