Advertisement

Review Group Week 187 - DARK REIGN: THE LIST - AVENGERS

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 129 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:59 pm

Here Old Man -

To understand just what you're dealing with, an article from the Telegraph UK revealing half of all Brits have been injured by biscuits. The results are telling--for instance, 3% of these were injured by poking themselves in the eye with their cookie. Or the odd 7% who have been attacked by pets or wild animals while considering their cookie choices.

http://tinyurl.com/Stupid-Brits

as revealed.

Published: 7:00AM BST 08 Sep 2009

An estimated 25 million adults have been injured while eating during a tea or coffee break - with at least 500 landing themselves in hospital, the survey revealed.
The custard cream biscuit was found to be the worse offender to innocent drinkers.
It beat the cookie to top a table of 15 generic types of biccy whose potential dangers were calculated by The Biscuit Injury Threat Evaluation.
Hidden dangers included flying fragments and being hurt while dunking in scalding tea through to the more strange such as people poking themselves in the eye with a biscuit or fallen off a chair reaching for the tin.
One man even ended up stuck in wet concrete after wading in to pick up a stray biscuit.
Custard creams get a risk rating of 5.63, the highest of all.
This compared to 1.16 for Jaffa cakes, which was the safest biscuit of all in the evaluation.
Research company Mindlab International were commissioned by Rocky, a chocolate biscuit bar, to conduct the research.
It found almost a third of adults said they had been splashed or scalded by hot drinks while dunking or trying to fish the remnants of a collapsed digestive.
It also revealed 28 per cent had choked on crumbs while one in 10 had broken a tooth or filling biting a biscuit.
More unusually, three per cent had poked themselves in the eye with a biscuit and seven per cent bitten by a pet or "other wild animal" trying to get their biscuit.
Mindlab International director Dr David Lewis said: "We tested the physical properties of 15 popular types of biscuits, along with aspects of their consumption such as 'dunkability' and crumb dispersal.
Mike Driver, Marketing Director for Rocky said: "We commissioned this study after learning how many biscuit related injuries are treated by doctors each year."

I won't even guess if that was Punchy or Jubiligglet in bold!
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:03 pm

House of J wrote:ITT: Brits take on the elderly!

The Brits will win in the end. They are the masters of taking abuse with a stiffy, umm, stiff upper lip. :shock:

Please clue me in, somebody,...what does ITT stand for?
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:03 pm

doombug wrote:No offense to old man but that is one of the weirder reviews I've ever read in the review group.

Fair comment.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:05 pm

Old Man wrote:The Brits will win in the end. They are the masters of taking abuse with a stiffy, umm, stiff upper lip. :shock:

In
This
Thread

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:06 pm

Old Man wrote:The Brits will win in the end. They are the masters of taking abuse with a stiffy, umm, stiff upper lip. :shock:

Think so? Please read the biscuit danger evaluation article!

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:07 pm

House of J wrote:Here Old Man -

To understand just what you're dealing with, an article from the Telegraph UK revealing half of all Brits have been injured by biscuits. The results are telling--for instance, 3% of these were injured by poking themselves in the eye with their cookie. Or the odd 7% who have been attacked by pets or wild animals while considering their cookie choices.

I would be among the 7% injured by a pet. Damn dog nailed me in the nads trying to get at my cookie.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:07 pm

Punchy wrote:In
This
Thread

BRITISH LIES!!

I've
Two
Testes

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:08 pm

Punchy wrote:In
This
Thread

Thanks, Punchy.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:08 pm

Old Man wrote:I would be among the 7% injured by a pet. Damn dog nailed me in the nads trying to get at my cookie.

My own wee doggie hits me in the nads for a walk every day at...right about...OW!!

Back later

Potter Who
penile prisoner

Postby Potter Who » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:34 pm

It's official. Bucky Cap rules

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:41 pm

Old Man wrote:As Ares was introduced on the first page, I knew who he was during the entire story, even if I didn't know his powers. I knew the premise that Osborn was in charge. Even though I knew it, nowhere in the story do I remember it saying that Clint Barton was once Hawkeye. Amazingly, the characters introduced in the first 10 pages are insignificant to the story told in this issue, whilst characters appearing later in the story are never introduced. These are bad storytelling techniques. If you make your comic book universe insular, you make it difficult for new readers to become part of that universe. Let me repeat that:

If you make your comic book universe insular, you make it difficult for new readers to become part of that universe.}

The problem is.. if you introduced your characters every month in every issue, it'd get old REALLY fast.

I don't think it's a problem for new readers, to be honest. Amazingly enough, I was able to get into comics without each and every character and their detailed backstory being given to me everytime they're shown on a page.

I don't think you give people enough credit.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:43 pm

Chris wrote:The problem is.. if you introduced your characters every month in every issue, it'd get old REALLY fast.

I don't think it's a problem for new readers, to be honest. Amazingly enough, I was able to get into comics without each and every character and their detailed backstory being given to me everytime they're shown on a page.

I don't think you give people enough credit.

Exactly.

People complain about Matt Fraction overusing introductory captions in every issue of his X-Men.

It's a difficult tightrope to walk.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:44 pm

Old Man wrote:Fair comment.

Though upon further consideration and looking over it I can understand the confusion and the critiques.

Karla by the way totally had a relationship with Clint during Kurt Busiek's thunderbolts run and is Moonstone. :wink:

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:47 pm

2 things:

He drew this in 9 days?! Get this fucker on an ongoing series fast! Mighty Avengers anyone?

#2 When it comes to either a new number 1 or something that's a one shot, you should give people a quick refresher course on the characters at play. It's respectful to new readers and then you can move on to your main story.

Annuals are excluded of course.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:50 pm

doombug wrote:Though upon further consideration and looking over it I can understand the confusion and the critiques.

Karla by the way totally had a relationship with Clint during Kurt Busiek's thunderbolts run and is Moonstone. :wink:

Clint is such a man-slore.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand