Advertisement

Review Group Week 187 - DARK REIGN: THE LIST - AVENGERS

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:53 pm

House of J wrote:I guess it'll make me appreciate the Ultimate U more since there is no Sunday School moralizing there, of course heroes kill.

So, for those of you tuned in to the 616 these days, what effect did Clint outing Norman as the GG have? Anything? Hasn't been picked up again yet? I would've been more interested in that than the Heroes Don't Kill stuff.

In Dark Avengers #5, Norman went on TV, and admitted that, yes, he was the Green Goblin, but he has redeemed himself now, and how Clint Barton himself was once a villain, and he joined the Avengers alongside 2 former Mutant terrorists and allowed a chance to become a hero, why shouldn't he? He implied that Clint was sick, and that he wanted to help him.

It was a genius bit of PR, and one of the best issues Bendis has done in a while.

Advertisement

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:54 pm

House of J wrote:Basically, I am always this way during cold and flu season ever since that one time. All I see are people coughing all over things, not washing their hands, etc. The whole thing grosses me out.

I read a report about a study showing the rates at which people catch the flu.

If you are in a room with someone who has the flu...and you never come in contact with the person or something they touch...you have a 10% chance of catching the flu.

If you are in a room with someone who has the flu...and you do come in contact with the person or something they touch...you have a 50% chance of catching the flu.

Wash hands frequently -- 4-6 times a day.

Wash hands more often if you work with the public.

Wash hands with soap for at least 30 seconds. Anti-bacterial soap doesn't do any good. Colds and flus are viruses. Washing your hands removes dirt and oils which may be harboring the viruses.

Places that are used by many people may be places that help transmit the virus -- door knobs, door handles, public telephones, computer keyboards, grocery store shopping carts, etc.

During cold and flu season, I always have a paper towel of some sort to use to open doors. When I go to the grocery store in the winter, I lay my gloves on the handle of the cart so I don't touch the cart. If I don't have a paper towel or glove, I use the edge of my shirt to open the door. And if I shake someone's hand, I make sure I don't touch my face or mouth in any way until I have washed my hands.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:57 pm

Punchy wrote:Most of the characters in this book a recognisable visually, we all know what Spider-Man and Venom look like.

Yes, but I didn't recognize Venom at first because of the art. When Clint threw the gut through the window, it actually looked as if he threw him through some kind of energy field or transporter, and the black, inky looked like a special effect.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 130 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:00 pm

Yep Old Man, I'm good on all that. Basically was never a problem before I was around first children then college children several hours a day--we wouldn't even have a cold & flu season if not for those varmints!

So I dread the return to school every year now. I never took it seriously at all until almost kicking after an especially vicious serious of ailments + some poison medicine. I'm not skeered of a runny nose, but I don't want another 3 month recovery period after almost being kilt by witchdoctors.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:08 pm

Punchy wrote:In Dark Avengers #5, Norman went on TV, and admitted that, yes, he was the Green Goblin, but he has redeemed himself now, and how Clint Barton himself was once a villain, and he joined the Avengers alongside 2 former Mutant terrorists and allowed a chance to become a hero, why shouldn't he? He implied that Clint was sick, and that he wanted to help him.

It was a genius bit of PR, and one of the best issues Bendis has done in a while.

No wonder Clint wants to kill him!

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:17 pm

Old Man wrote:2. Exactly my point. You have to know at least 4 years of previous history to fully understand this book. And one of my contentions is that even then there is much confusion.

I honestly don't think there are many people that agree with you on that..

I have to wonder if you'd have so many negative critiques of this book if it wasn't written by Bendis?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:26 pm

Chris wrote:I honestly don't think there are many people that agree with you on that..

I have to wonder if you'd have so many negative critiques of this book if it wasn't written by Bendis?

Course there wouldn't, one reviewer has said he automatically marks a book down just because it's Bendis, before even reading it.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:32 pm

Punchy wrote:Course there wouldn't, one reviewer has said he automatically marks a book down just because it's Bendis, before even reading it.

I don't, but I do automatically subtract points when it's a 26 page story with preview padding for $3.99 or more.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:38 pm

House of J wrote:I don't, but I do automatically subtract points when it's a 26 page story with preview padding for $3.99 or more.

But we're not reviewing value for money are we? If so you'd have given Unwritten and Sweet Tooth 10s. We're reviewing comics.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:44 pm

Punchy wrote:But we're not reviewing value for money are we? If so you'd have given Unwritten and Sweet Tooth 10s. We're reviewing comics.

I thought we went over this ages ago--I review however I damn well please, same as you. Fact is, if a book leaves me feeling angry or remorseful at having bought it, it deserves a lower score. Period.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:49 pm

House of J wrote:I thought we went over this ages ago--I review however I damn well please, same as you. Fact is, if a book leaves me feeling angry or remorseful at having bought it, it deserves a lower score. Period.

You have your own approach, I have mine, I get that, but I just don't think price-point should be a huge consideration.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:54 pm

Chris wrote:I honestly don't think there are many people that agree with you on that..

I have so many critiques because it is a crappy comic. As I clearly stated, I don't like how Bendis writes. If it had been just a blah Bendis title, it might likely have gotten a 6 from me, but the large mass of niggling irritations added up quickly.

As has been noted in this thread, the artist threw it together in 9 days. It looked like it. Bendis obviously wrote it in less time, and it shows.

And luckily for other people, they don't have to agree with me. That's why there are many reviewers here, not just one.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:55 pm

Punchy wrote:You have your own approach, I have mine, I get that, but I just don't think price-point should be a huge consideration.

Well, I didn't say it was, did I? In cases like this, though, it's gonna take a point or two. I called BS on the initial increase, which was a test, on the Rama because I felt like Marvel was playing dirty pool with their reader-base. I went pretty far towards nearly getting an old friend in trouble on that one, too. Still bitter at being called a liar by "Pocelain" and others over that one, nobody wanted to believe it until Marvel came right out and admitted it after readers swallowed the lie hook, line, and sinker.

So I regretted this purchase on a number of levels.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:57 pm

House of J wrote:Well, I didn't say it was, did I? In cases like this, though, it's gonna take a point or two. I called BS on the initial increase, which was a test, on the Rama. I went pretty far towards nearly getting an old friend in trouble on that one, too. Still bitter at being called a liar by "Pocelain" and others over that one, nobody wanted to believe it until Marvel came right out and admitted it after readers swallowed the lie hook, line, and sinker.

So I regretted this purchase on a number of levels.

Regret is a strong word man.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:00 pm

Punchy wrote:Regret is a strong word man.

Strong Word Man is my alter-ego, Non Sequitur Lad!
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand