Advertisement

Review Group Week 187 - DARK REIGN: THE LIST - AVENGERS

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35131
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:03 pm
Location: Michigan


Postby Starlord » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:14 pm

6.05?!

I'm impressed. That's like an A- on the Bendis grading curve, isn't it?
Image

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34518
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 104 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:27 pm

amlah6 wrote:You gave it an 8! You're devaluing the word awesome.


8 is pretty awesome.

malcolm reynolds
User avatar
Garbage Collector
 
Posts: 795
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:32 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Title: creep
Formerly: young neil


Postby malcolm reynolds » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:28 pm

Finally get the net connected at the new house this week. So I'll be back to posting reviews regularly starting this week with beasts of burden #1. Was really getting sick of trying to post from my phone.

Old Man
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1486
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm


Postby Old Man » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:43 pm

Punchy wrote:Fucking trolls.


Fucking trolls is unhealthy.
.
.
I was perfectly content before I was born.
.
.

Old Man
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1486
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm


Postby Old Man » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:13 pm

Punchy wrote:This may be an uncool thing to say, but I like Brian Michael Bendis. I think he's a great writer...he's one of the very few mainstream writers with a recognisable style... having distinctive dialogue....

And his fight with Daken was very well done, he kicked him in the nuts, come on, that's just cool.

Cover artist Marko Djurdjevic makes the jump to full interiors with this issue, and he does a good job. It's not quite as beautiful as his cover work, but it's strong, kinetic stuff.

It's either 'Security Lockdown!' or 'I, uh, I killed Hitler'

8/10


A couple comments, if you don't mind.

Never argue against yourself or weaken your argument with apologetic words. "This may be an uncool thing to say..." is all but begging us to forgive you for liking Bendis. It may be uncool to say it here at this site, but that's only because just about everybody here wants to get in your face because you like Bendis. Bendis writes some of the best selling comics every month, so there must be dozens of people who like him as you do. (Oh, that's a joke; there must be tens of thousands.) People have different tastes. At my LCS, I am friendly with at least 20 other customers, yet as far as I know, I am the only one who reads Usagi Yojimbo, a highly acclaimed series.

No, the fight wasn't cool. The 'kick in the nads' theme is so frelling used up it could be my grandmother. It's in nearly every movie these days. Hell, it was even in slow motion in Kung Fu Panda, a kids movie. Any movie or book that uses it as a 'cool moment' is by definition shite. It is old and used up.

Your comment about the cover artist could be read to say all he has ever done was covers, when I think you meant he has only done covers for Avengers so far. I think we all know he has done interiors in other books.

Best line in the book was "The End." ;-)

As much as you liked this book, I would have rhought you would have graded it higher than eight-tenths. :-D
.
.
I was perfectly content before I was born.
.
.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34518
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 104 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:50 am

Old Man wrote:A couple comments, if you don't mind.

Never argue against yourself or weaken your argument with apologetic words. "This may be an uncool thing to say..." is all but begging us to forgive you for liking Bendis. It may be uncool to say it here at this site, but that's only because just about everybody here wants to get in your face because you like Bendis. Bendis writes some of the best selling comics every month, so there must be dozens of people who like him as you do. (Oh, that's a joke; there must be tens of thousands.) People have different tastes. At my LCS, I am friendly with at least 20 other customers, yet as far as I know, I am the only one who reads Usagi Yojimbo, a highly acclaimed series.

No, the fight wasn't cool. The 'kick in the nads' theme is so frelling used up it could be my grandmother. It's in nearly every movie these days. Hell, it was even in slow motion in Kung Fu Panda, a kids movie. Any movie or book that uses it as a 'cool moment' is by definition shite. It is old and used up.

Your comment about the cover artist could be read to say all he has ever done was covers, when I think you meant he has only done covers for Avengers so far. I think we all know he has done interiors in other books.

Best line in the book was "The End." ;-)

As much as you liked this book, I would have rhought you would have graded it higher than eight-tenths. :-D


It's uncool on this site, and since people on this site are the only people going to read this, it's OK to put that. And if you can self-deprecate by claiming to be old every five minutes, I can say I'm uncool.

And kicks in the balls are never not funny, especially in the formal setting of superhero comics, where we're supposed to believe each fight is deadly significant. It's a moment of levity. If Deadpool did it, you'd all love it.

It never actually said 'The End', there was just an Avengers symbol.

And for me, the number grade is an after thought, it's not really connected to my review, but I can't give this a 9, as I said, the ending is a bit too abrupt, but it was a very strong issue, an 8, on an ABC scale, an 8 is about a B+, which is accurate I think.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 63 posts


Review Group Week 188 - Beasts of Burden #1

Postby ****** » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:38 am

lutz :lol:
Last edited by ****** on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 63 posts


Postby ****** » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:39 am

even more lutz. :lol:
Last edited by ****** on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34518
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 104 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:42 am

I think you've made a mistake.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 63 posts


Postby ****** » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:43 am

Punchy wrote:I think you've made a mistake.


They shouldn't put the new topic button so close to the post reply button. :x

48THRiLLS
User avatar
Review Grouper
 
Posts: 3223
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: Stumptown
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool


Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:47 am

Punchy wrote:It's uncool on this site, and since people on this site are the only people going to read this, it's OK to put that. And if you can self-deprecate by claiming to be old every five minutes, I can say I'm uncool.

And kicks in the balls are never not funny, especially in the formal setting of superhero comics, where we're supposed to believe each fight is deadly significant. It's a moment of levity. If Deadpool did it, you'd all love it.

It never actually said 'The End', there was just an Avengers symbol.

And for me, the number grade is an after thought, it's not really connected to my review, but I can't give this a 9, as I said, the ending is a bit too abrupt, but it was a very strong issue, an 8, on an ABC scale, an 8 is about a B+, which is accurate I think.


I think my review is a cliff notes version of yours... I am still dumbfounded by the Bendis hate, I think if you have been reading and enjoying Dark Reign you would probably like this and it seems most of the bad scores were from people who have not been reading DR or dislike Bendis.

Chris
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41494
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 154 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris


Postby Chris » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:17 am

48THRiLLS wrote:I think my review is a cliff notes version of yours... I am still dumbfounded by the Bendis hate, I think if you have been reading and enjoying Dark Reign you would probably like this and it seems most of the bad scores were from people who have not been reading DR or dislike Bendis.


I dunno.. I've been reading Dark Reign, and that's the problem, I think.

This feels like alot of rehashing of stuff we've already seen in Dark Reign, or stuff that played out way too predictably..

Not a good combination to have in a comic.
Image

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34518
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 104 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: This guy, right?


Postby Punchy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:37 am

Chris wrote:I dunno.. I've been reading Dark Reign, and that's the problem, I think.

This feels like alot of rehashing of stuff we've already seen in Dark Reign, or stuff that played out way too predictably..

Not a good combination to have in a comic.


I didn't see any rehashing, this was an escalation.

Old Man
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1486
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm


Postby Old Man » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:35 pm

Punchy wrote:If Deadpool did it, you'd all love it.

It never actually said 'The End', there was just an Avengers symbol.


I've never read a Deadpool comic.

It didn't say "The End"? Wow. Maybe next time I'll read the comic. :P
.
.
I was perfectly content before I was born.
.
.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 32031
Likes: 99 posts
Liked in: 120 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:36 pm

Old Man wrote:I've never read a Deadpool comic.

It didn't say "The End"? Wow. Maybe next time I'll read the comic. :P


I barely know who Deadpool is and confuse him with at least 2 other characters.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck] and 68 guests

Advertisement