Advertisement

Review Group Week 187 - DARK REIGN: THE LIST - AVENGERS

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 179 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:56 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:you were never picky before why should you start now?

Punchy's is creamy smooth and doesn't taste like lemon grass.

Advertisement

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:17 pm

thefourthman wrote:Hey Amlah, if you look at the numbers for August, there are interesting things happening. Marvel loses more ground in dollar share, even though they rose the price of their best selling titles, which means that the upswings in DH, Image, IDW, Boom, etc has to be due to trade sales as they are not significant enough in single issues to make that kind of bump (especially considering that Marvel has numerous titles at 3.99 and the highest market share by a substantial figure but lose the biggest amount in dollar share, DC gains some ground on dollar share but are still losing ground overall in that segment meaning that most of DC and Marvel's dollars still come from single issues at least to the DM) http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090910- ... les.html...

Hey, start a new thread, woodya? This ain't a review. :evil:
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:19 pm

Dragavon wrote:Each one of the List books is supposed to be by the current author and a brand new artist.

Dark Reign: The List: Avengers is by Bendis & Djurdevic.

Dark Reign: The List: Daredevil is by Diggle & Tan.

etc.

Not sure exactly what you were trying to say. Perhaps you meant current author of the series teamed with a new artist for that series. Or just a new artist with that writer for the one-shot.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:22 pm

thefourthman wrote:Punchy's is creamy smooth and doesn't taste like lemon grass.

he also likes wordy sex that doesn't really go anywhere for 6 months and he calls it an event.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:28 pm

House of J wrote:I dunno what all else comes out next week, but you're overlooking Beasts of Burden by Evan Dorkin (of Milk & Cheese and more) and Jill Thompson:

"When supernatural occurrences sweep the community of Burden Hill, it�s up to a heroic gang of cats and dogs to keep residents safe from harm. A bizarre disturbance leads these four-legged neighbors on a wild-goose chase into the depths of the nearby forest, where loyalties are tested and lives come to an abrupt end."

Hey that sounds cool

Thats my pick then!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:29 pm

Kerny wrote:Hey that sounds cool

Thats my pick then!

Awesome, I hope we all like it! I've been wondering what Evan's been doing lately.

Here's a picture of Evan and Jill from a recent con, and if you look closely you might see some puppies:

from the Dark Horse site, BTW.

Also a preview!

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/13-834?page=0

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:59 pm

Wow, the art in that 3 page preview is gorgeous--and the last couple panels made me laugh.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 176 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Dark Reign The List Avengers

So Clint Barton once again decides he's going to kill Norman Osborn because welll...he's Clint and likes to do stupid shit sometimes. This leads to a very awkward fight with the whole team minus luke who is apparently out of action.

Mind you this leads to some very interesting conversations with each character that you'd expect offering their unique viewpoints. Bobbi supporting Clint no matter what was touching and Bucky kind of being blase about the whole thing was pretty amusing. He would have gone with either side.

The real highlights of the issue come when Barton storms the Avengers building where he manages to show Bullseye exactly what he thinks about him wearing that costume and shows daken that he's nothing like his father.

Oh and Bendis even makes use of Karla and Clint's past in a very fun call back to Kurt Busiek's run on thunderbolts. Really was a highlight for me.

The ending is the only thing that bothered me as we all saw it coming and if Ares hadn't been there to save him, Osborn would have been done.

Verdict:

Interesting start to a story that we have to wait till november to see resolved.

Story: 7.5
Art: 9

Grade: 8

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:17 pm

House of J wrote:Wow, the art in that 3 page preview is gorgeous--and the last couple panels made me laugh.

It looks ok... I'm hoping a full issue will make it better.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:05 pm

My review to come tomorrow, I hope. Too tired right now, but I did want to issue a warning.

Warning! If you love Bendis, you may not like what I have to say in my review. If you can separate your love of all things Bendis from my viewpoint, then you are free to read my review. But if you read it, then hate me forever, that's something you will have to live with, not me. It ain't gonna be pretty.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:08 am

I really like the idea of

[spoiler]Luke Cage being out of action injured, Clint being captured and Wolverine stuck on mutant island. The New Avengers are really being torn a new one.[/spoiler]

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:21 am

I'm going to the comic shop for the first time in a good few weeks today, so hopefully I'm back in the game as of today.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:38 am

I'm still working my way through it. I keep dozing off. But I should have my review tonight. :-)

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:46 am

Old Man wrote:My review to come tomorrow, I hope. Too tired right now, but I did want to issue a warning.

Warning! If you love Bendis, you may not like what I have to say in my review. If you can separate your love of all things Bendis from my viewpoint, then you are free to read my review. But if you read it, then hate me forever, that's something you will have to live with, not me. It ain't gonna be pretty.

I welcome your dissenting opinion.

The more arguments we have, the better the thread is.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 116 posts

Postby MrBlack » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:55 am

Read it. I thought it was alright. I actually liked some of the Bendis-isms this time around, and Clint's fight with the Dark Avengers was well done.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand