Advertisement

Review Group Week 189 - WOLVERINE: GIANT SIZE OLD MAN LOGAN

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:01 pm

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

PDH
rubber spoon

Postby PDH » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:32 pm

I feel a review coming on:

Wolverine Kills the Hell Out of Everybody

Around 35 years ago a squat, perpetually angry Canadian took a shot at killing the Incredible Hulk. It was pretty pathetic attempt and that story is only remembered because it's the first appearance of a character whose popularity would slowly build to the point where it would eventually rival that of Batman and Spider-Man. It took a costume change, a whole heap of ninjas and more than a few cartoons to reach this point but Wolverine currently appears in more comic books than the concept of sexual retardation.

In Old Man Logan, Wolverine not only finally achieves his ambition of killing the Incredible Hulk, he visits a bloody murder on his children and his children's children and, but for a baby Hulk he keeps around for some reason (presumably to eat later on) Wolverine all but wipes the Hulk's entire bloodline off the face of the Earth. Take that, bitch.

Having now come full circle, he sets off into the sunset to kill the hell out of everybody else. And that, my friends, is how you write a mother-fucking comic book.

Wolverine is not a complicated character. He's the claw-guy. He claws things. He is the professor of stabbing at the university of murder. The Platonic ideal of a perfect Wolverine story would introduce us to a bunch of people who really need to get stabbed, explain to us with meticulous precision the full and detailed account of exactly how and why they need to be stabbed by listing each of their atrocities with explicit candour, then proceed straight to the stabbing itself. Beyond that all criticism fails and we can only grade the quality of the stabs.

There is some first class stabbing in this comic. What else did you want? A soliloquy?

Steve McNiven's artwork leaps right out of the page and strangles anyone who still maintains that his work is 'static and lifeless.' It's really not and it will kill you if say otherwise. You don't want to piss this artwork off. It's lifelike sketchiness animates the parade of brilliant grotesqueries who sparsely populate Millar's desolate future as well as anyone could have done. It only really struggles with the more visceral elements, though that is, unfortunately, an important factor with this final issue. I read this right after the last issue of Warren Ellis' No Hero, so perhaps that affected my view but in comparison to Juan Jose Ryp's artwork, the characters don't feel meaty or embowelled enough. On the other hand, McNiven has a much stronger grasp of perspective and it serves him well with this story.

All in all, a huge success and immediately one of the best Wolverine stories to date. Marvel have a great story here that can be packaged as a single unit where the price, delays and pacing issues of its initial publication won't matter. A generation less prejudiced against the modern may even find that it doesn't look out of place next to their old copy of The Dark Knight Returns.

Story: 10
Art: 9

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:15 pm

Awesome review :D

Made me chuckle a few times

PDH
rubber spoon

Postby PDH » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:48 am

Kerny wrote:Awesome review :D

Made me chuckle a few times

Thanks.

(Assuming you're talking about me!)

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:05 pm

This was a great story, and I can't review the issue on it's own merrits, was it overpriced? Absolutely. Was it worth the wait? Probably not. Was it one of the best wolverine stories ever told? Yes. Overall this was a great story but it definitely suffered from lateness. It was a great story that couldn't have been illustrated any better.

8.8 for cost and wait.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:38 pm

I feel so alone right now... :cry:

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:44 pm

starlord wrote:I feel so alone right now... :cry:

You want me to come over and hold you?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:46 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:You want me to come over and hold you?

:o That might make me feel better... :-D

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:57 pm

Old Man Logan

Wow what a read. Not for the faint of heart or anyone looking for the deeper read.

But I loved every minute of it. From cutting a cow in half, to doing his best Clint Eastwood, Wolverine kicked ass, took names, and made the hulk his bitch.

I can't say enough about the art. Best looking ish I've read in a while.

Millar said he might do a sequel. I can only hope its half as good as this when it comes out

Overall Score 10

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:07 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:8.8 for cost and wait.

I think I heard punchys head explode.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:14 am

Alright, I haven't kept up with the thread much this week, so here is my review, sans knowledge of what most everyone else has said.

Giant Size Wolverine: Old Man Logan #1

When this story first hit stands way back in 2008, I was surprised at how much I liked it. This was a somewhat different take on Wolverine, and on the Marvel universe in general, and I was eager to see where Mark Millar would take the story. Now, here we are one year later, and it's time to assess where we've been.

The high point of this entire series has been the art. Steve McNiven has been really solid on this entire series. It's rare to see an artist who can turn in killer action scenes and nail facial expressions.

The story is a mixed bag. On the one hand, the plot itself isn't anything new, although it is interesting to see it applied specifically to Wolverine. It would have been more original to have the story end with Wolverine maintaining his pacifist lifestyle, but I don't think anyone, myself included, would have been pleased with that result. We came to see Wolverine lose it and cut some people in half, and Millar definitely delivers here. The story's end is predictable, but satisfying given what the audience had come to expect.

While I ultimately enjoyed this story, it did have a few problems. The part of the earlier issues I most enjoyed were the reflections on what happened to the rest of the Marvel universe, which is entirely absent from this issue. I understand the need for that from a story perspective, but it was still something I missed.

The other, bigger problem is the size of the issue, and the cost. When I picked this up, I was expecting something epic length and extraordinary, and I was disappointed to find that only half the issue was story, and the other half was cover reprints. Really Marvel? This is what you call a Giant Size issue? Half a story and reprints of covers we already have? They could have at least included a reprint of some kind (first meeting of Hulk and Wolverine for instance) or some further info regarding the world where the story takes place. Instead, we get three dollars of story in a five dollar issue. While this doesn't directly flow from the story itself, it did reduce my enjoyment of this final issue, and so it will affect the score.

Overall, I was more or less satisfied with the conclusion to this story. It wasn't groundbreaking, but it was entertaining, and the art was excellent.

Story: 7
Art: 9
Overall: 7 (minus one point for price)

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:34 am

starlord wrote:I feel so alone right now... :cry:

Why, I panned it too... you just destroyed it... :D

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:42 am

thefourthman wrote:Why, I panned it too... you just destroyed it... :D

but now I feel like I don't have a clue what an enjoyable comic is. I feel like my whole life has been a lie. :(

so I've decided to join the masses and just worship that piece of Canadian crap. :P

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:50 am

starlord wrote:but now I feel like I don't have a clue what an enjoyable comic is. I feel like my whole life has been a lie. :(

so I've decided to join the masses and just worship that piece of Canadian crap. :P

But it wasn't a great comic. It was a nice end to an arc, but if you had not read the rest it was meaningless and it was pretty insubstantial, even if you had read it. And on top of it all, it was horribly late and WAY OVERPRICED.

It was light and entertaining, but it was not an instant classic.

People drank their kool-aid and reviewed it with the delicious tropical punch on their lips.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:53 am

that's pretty much kind of what I thought too. Granted it didn't help that Wolverine, to me, is like Paris Hilton.

You can't turn around without seeing their hairy backs everywhere. :P

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand