Sunday, December 17, 2017 • Evening Edition • "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week 190 - TEEN TITANS #75

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Old Man

cheese

Postby Old Man » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:34 pm

I didn't start posting here at the Outhouse so I could do reviews.

I came here looking for good conversation about comic books.

I'm having better luck with the reviews. :lol:

Teen Titans #75

Gee, I'm not crazy about this book. I didn't hate it, either. I'm not taken with any of the characters except Miss Martian. Must be something about green women that I picked up from Star Trek: TOS. (Did you guys know it really wasn't called ST:TOS? It was just Star Trek, because nobody knew from sequels back then.)

Felicia Henderson is the new writer of Teen Titans. Henderson was a writer for Fringe, Gossip Girl and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. I hated Fresh Prince because it was the same story almost every week, a problem a lot of sitcoms possess. (And Will Smith still can;t act.) I can't judge the writing on the other two shows as I've never seen them.

Her story appears to be fairly well thought out, but there are some thing that need immediate attention. Most of the main characters are named on page four, yet Raven, the focus of this story, is not named until page ten. As this is the beginning of a new story, and thus will be the first pages of a reprint trade, the characters should be named as soon as possible. The Titans (not to be confused with the Teen Titans) appear on page eleven, yet never get named. On the next-to-last page, Miss Martian is talking to someone who doesn't get identified. Just guessing from the hair style, it is Bombshell in human form, not quantum form.

The art is pretty enough, but there are storytelling problems here, too. There are too many panels where it is just a talking head or two, and a majority of them are facing directly at the reader. Variety/spice/life. On page ten, Raven is brought into the room, unconscious. Wonder Girl starts to ask if she is dead. In the next panel, we see Raven cough/vomit/seize...the art doesn't show the scene well enough to tell. It's dramatic, but the drama is lessened by the poor art scene. On page 14, we again have that pet peeve of mine, the repeated panel. On the next-to-last panel, Miss Martian says to Bombshell (?), "Didn't mean to scare you." There is nothing to show she might have scared Bombshell, just the panel of Bombshell looking over her shoulder at Miss Martian. This needed more panels to help tell the story.

I'm not sure who to blame the problems on, really. I'm not all that familiar with Joe Bennett's work to say he isn't a good storyteller. I actually really liked his monster on page three. It is certainly Henderson's first comic book work. Perhaps it needed better editorial control.

The second feature is Ravager. It's the fourth chapter of a longer story. On page seven, Ravager sees something that really shocks her and pisses her off. This is kept from then reader, which felt like a cheat, but I'm hoping that McKeever will have had a good reason for it.

I have to give the main feature a 6 because of all the problems with the story, both writing and drawing. I liked the back-up feature enough to give it a 7, so the final score is 6.5.

=====
=====

The things you learn researching other things.

Andy Borowitz co-created The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Today, Borowitz is known for the parody columns he writes.

When Sarah Palin resigned, the headline to his piece was:

America Less Safe With Palin No Longer Keeping Eye on Russia

On health care reforms, the headline was:

In Move to Appease Critics, Obama Promises to Extend Health Care Coverage to Morons

About Joe Wilson:

Wilson Shouts ‘You Lie' After Wife Fakes Orgasm

When Kadafi spoke to the UN:

Mental Patient Breaks into U.N., Gives Ninety-minute Speech

http://www.borowitzreport.com/archives.aspx

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:00 am

Old Man wrote:So I'm sitting in the bar Saturday night. There are 3 gals and 5 guys at the bar, and 1 of the gals is making out with all the guys (1 at a time, but she had all of them hard). An old woman sitting across from them saw it, pulled her blouse halfway up, pulled the top of her pants down a bit, and stuck her hand into her pants, rubbing herself. My buddy and I laughed at her for mocking the girl at the bar, but she musta thought we laughed at her, so she mooned us.

Big, white, pale moon.

Keep it classy, Michigan.

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:51 am

Teen Titans #75

Let me start by saying this was better than anything Mark Millar could ever come up with in his entire carreer!

That being said. I didn't like this at all. It wasn't bad, to me, it just wasn't much of anything. It just sat there like a big fat cat on a window sill. Which is unfortunate because I think this cast of characters has some great potential.

Blue Beetle is being waisted here. Raven is once again the central character in the new arc, which is really the oldest story every writer has used with Teen Titans.

Note to all future writers of Teen Titans: You can do an arc that does not include Raven as the central theme, or Deathstroke. It can be done!

Art was okay, nothing great either.

Beast Boy came off as a really pathetic joke here. One minute he's claiming to be leader, the next he's flipping out over Raven, then he's being told he's a good leader and then told he sucks as a leader. I mean, come on!!!

And who doesn't see the sexual tension between Bombshell and Aquagirl. It's so transparent.

Nope, this is not worth the money at all. Still, I enjoyed it much more than last weeks selection.

Story: 5
Art: 4

My Score: 4.5

The_Phenomenal_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby The_Phenomenal_Sage » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:59 am

amlah6 wrote:I take your name off the list and you suddenly appear. Coincidence? I think not!

Post more often! :evil:

its fine I don't need my name on the list anyways, my revenue stream is so limited I can hardly afford books not on my pull list and with monthly shipping I can maybe post 1 review a month.

except when we go all indy thus I won't have it on my pull list. lucky Teen Titans is on my pull list.

Old Man

cheese

Postby Old Man » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:52 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Keep it classy, Michigan.

I live in Michigan, but the bar was in Toledo, Ohio. I live so close to Ohio that I can smell it. Believe me, rotten buckeyes smell awful.

Old Man

cheese

Postby Old Man » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:57 pm

starlord wrote:Teen Titans #75That being said. I didn't like this at all. Nope, this is not worth the money at all.

Teen Titans #75
as selected by starlord

Yet you didn't like it. Why do you hate teens? :P

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:11 pm

Old Man wrote:Teen Titans #75
as selected by starlord

At least he doesn't wear there skins like other outhouse posters.

MrBlack

WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:33 pm

Old Man wrote:Teen Titans #75
as selected by starlord

They won't stay off his lawn. :wink:

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:44 pm

MrBlack wrote:They won't stay off his lawn. :wink:

no, they won't come onto my lawn. :( :P

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:13 pm

starlord wrote:Teen Titans #75

Let me start by saying this was better than anything Mark Millar could ever come up with in his entire carreer!

I haven't read the comic yet, but I doubt this to be true. :smt011 :smt011 :smt011 :smt011

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:21 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:At least he doesn't wear there skins like other outhouse posters.

Hey, it was only that one time and really aren't we better off with out Christain Otte?

Kerny

Review Grouper

Postby Kerny » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:05 pm

I know this is gonna sound like BS, but I asked if they had this after I didn't see it on the shelf, and they said were out.

Thankfully, I'll add. :twisted:

48THRiLLS

Review Grouper

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:23 pm

Kerny wrote:I know this is gonna sound like BS, but I asked if they had this after I didn't see it on the shelf, and they said were out.

Thankfully, I'll add. :twisted:

Yeah that is how I felt when I came up empty handed this week.

Kerny

Review Grouper

Postby Kerny » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:24 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:Yeah that is how I felt when I came up empty handed this week.

It doesn't help but makes me laugh when I saw that Starlord, who picked it, gave it a less than stellar review :-D

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:33 pm

Fuck this shit, I might not even review it, just review the awesome Shang-Chi one-shot instead.

leave a comment with facebook