Advertisement

Review Group Week 190 - TEEN TITANS #75

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:45 pm

Punchy wrote:Fuck this shit, I might not even review it, just review the awesome Shang-Chi one-shot instead.

suck it up and deal bambi because you know that's not how this shit works.

:wink:

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Teen Titans #75

Really? Does anyone remember how much praise #50 got and how excited everyone was over sean taking the reigns? Well this is the opposite of that. I can't even right a proper review:

Raven and Beast boy are transplanted into this series from titans. (so that makes 5 of the books lead characters gone from that book) and Beast Boy is made team leader out of nowhere.

I really don't know what to make of this, no one reacts to the "that's not my cat", too much unexplained weird awkward moments....wtf was with a certain martian throughout the book?

Wonder girl completely being thrown under the bus here bothered me too, not even a fight with beast boy taken over? Static was the only useful one.

Verdict: 4....I miss Mckeever.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:04 pm

Punchy wrote:Fuck this shit, I might not even review it, just review the awesome Shang-Chi one-shot instead.

That was pretty great wasn't it

Hickman's story kicked ass, and Coker's art on the second one was amazing

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 pm

thefourthman wrote:Hey, it was only that one time and really aren't we better off with out Christain Otte?

Chris Claremont says yes.

Postby ****** » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:50 pm

Alex Delarge called and he wants his shtick back.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:03 pm

amlah6 wrote:Alex Delarge called and he wants his shtick back.

If he really does post a review on the book not actually picked he should be kicked out of the group because it's stupid and unnecessary when we've been humoring the drama he keeps dragging into the group for a little over a month now.

And I'm being serious because the rest of us are posting reviews on an issue we obviously didn't enjoy...what makes you so different punchy?

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:15 pm

may I ask why you're too good for this? I'm playing by the rules?

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:17 pm

starlord wrote:may I ask why you're too good for this? I'm playing by the rules?

At this point star, it's not even worth it.

He pushed HOJ away and now he's deciding that he's too good to review something.

Postby ****** » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:03 am

doombug wrote:At this point star, it's not even worth it.

He pushed HOJ away and now he's deciding that he's too good to review something.

FWIW, I didn't take Punchy's post as being serious. It's not like he's posted reviews 155 weeks out of 190 or anything. :wink:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:31 am

amlah6 wrote:Not having read a many Titans books over the years, I thought Henderson made a decent attempt at introducing the various characters. She may have gone a bit overboard on Bombshell and Beast Boy however as they were annoying to the point of being distracting from what little story there was. I'm sure there's probably stuff going on here that means something to Titans fans, but as a relative n00b there wasn't a lot to draw me in. Overall, this didn't seem to flow all that well. Dialog often felt disjointed and unnatural, especially the last 8-10 pages. It wasn't all bad though. Wonder Girl's portrayal as a leader who was unsure of herself seemed pretty well done, but this was probably the first comic I've read with her where she wasn't spending most of her time crying about dead Superboy so maybe I just liked that this was something different.

I've never really liked Bennett, but the art in this helped the comic a lot. It was actually easier to follow what was going on by looking at the art than it was by reading the balloons/captions. The last splash page with the monster thing was pretty sweet, if the comic had been better maybe I would be interested in seeing more of that.

It seemed pretty damn weird to get an introduction story in the main part of the comic only to come to the backup and find out that it's part four of an ongoing serial. What was there seemed decent enough, a bit by the numbers maybe, but decent.

Story: 3
Art: 8
Backup: 7
Overall: 5.5

I am absolutely astonished that you did not love this Teen Titans/Ubu Bubu crossover. Too bad they didn't get Smart to write it, then it would have been funny and worth the time.

I also agree that the Back up which is the fourth part of a story not only seems better executed but is actually more accessible than the main story.

To be honest I haven't written for BF in a week and have not logged on this week, so I will be writing this up this evening and offering to them if not taken. As much as I thought that it would be a non issue this week as I figured it would pretty much be a throw away review, I find that I actually have something meaningful and important to say about this book.

I will score now though.

Main Story - 3
Main Art - 6
Main Overall - 4.5
Back Up Story - 5
Back Up Art - 6
Back Up Overall - 5.5

Overall (counting the main story as two scores of the same level and presented as an average of the three) - 4.83

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:32 am

I was only joking!

Postby ****** » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:44 am

thefourthman wrote:I am absolutely astonished that you did not love this Teen Titans/Ubu Bubu crossover.

:lol:

I wish I would have though of that. :oops:

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:45 am

Punchy wrote:I was only joking!

then you need to start showing us your tongue!

You Brits have such a weird humor, how can we tell?!?! :P

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:12 am

starlord wrote:then you need to start showing us your tongue!

You Brits have such a weird humor, how can we tell?!?! :P

Pretty much everything I say is a joke.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:13 am

Punchy wrote:Pretty much everything I say is a joke.

proving starlord's point...

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand