Advertisement

Review Group Week 192 - THE UNWRITTEN #6

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Punchy wrote:What if Azrael wasn't on the confirmed list?

Lots of gnashing of teeth.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 319 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:59 pm

amlah6 wrote:Come back soon, I'm rornery without you.

I know but homework is kicking my ass as I just finished one class and another one is on the verge of ending.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 79 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:10 pm

Punchy wrote:What if Azrael wasn't on the confirmed list?

Well, it is. :P :wink:

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:00 pm

Always with the maybe punchy. :lol:

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:38 pm

thefourthman wrote:
It was an interesting choice on GLX's part. I would've wanted to do CNV, but then we would have all been screwed cause Diamond sucks... evidently this was an issue the boss man brought up at the summit and Image gave Diamond what for as a result. CNV has been in the warehouse for a minute over there and everyone was shorted the book this week.

I tried to go with something that I bought regularly, but could be easily accessible to people. i almost went with G-Man, because of that. Not sure if I would've been into Cowboy Ninja Viking.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:58 pm

The Unwritten #6

I was really fascinated with the first issue of this and new right away that I wanted this in a trade. It had that kind of feel to it. This issue solidifies that feeling for me. There's a deep, rich, fantastic world that Mike Carey and Peter Gross has created.

Even though I wasn't sure exactly what was going on, I got the gist of it and it's enough for me to know that I'm sold on this book, and can't wait for that first trade.

Story: 8
Art: 8
My Score: 8

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 44 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:11 am

GLX wrote:I tried to go with something that I bought regularly, but could be easily accessible to people. i almost went with G-Man, because of that. Not sure if I would've been into Cowboy Ninja Viking.

CNV is the shit.

G-Man would have been fun to review and is a great book and it would not be hard to figure out if you had not been reading it.

Like I said, this pick was fine, don't worry about it. I am sure it is just as good as the last five issues have been. It is one of those books that only seems to get better with each issue.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:39 am

amlah6 wrote:2 comic shops, no Unwritten.

I may have to resort to unsavory means to read this week's pick if I strike out on the way home after work.

stupidfuckingsuperherocirclejerkshops :evil:

What is amusing is that my shop actually had this. :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:43 pm

The Unwritten #6 - 'Inside Man Part One' - Carey and Gross

Story - It's an interesting thing to review a book so soon again after reviewing it's debut issue. It gives us the oppurtunity assess the series as a whole, as well as just this chapter. Has the book lived up the the first issue? Or has it squandered it's potential? Thankfully, for The Unwritten, it's definitely the former, this, like #1 is a great comic.

The Unwritten has moved on from the initial concept of a Harry Potter analogue, to become a story about all literature, and our relationship to story, so it makes sense that when Tom Taylor goes to prison, it's a prison with literary connections, Donostia is built on the site of a battle which was immortalised in a Poem, 'The Song Of Roland', it's another piece of the enormous puzzle in this book, and it's certainly very tantalising. The issue opens with an excerpt from the Poem, amazingly adapted by Gross, these sequences, such as the Frankenstein one and 'How the Whale Became' have become real highlights, and show Gross' versatility. The Unwritten has quickly become the book to come to for mysteries, like Y: The Last Man was before, we are reading because their are secrets and truths hidden in amongst the plot, and this 6th issue does a lot to advance existing mysteries, and even adds some new ones, it's masterfully done. We want to know what's up with Tommy himself and his origins, but also society who employed Pullman, and who is pulling Hexam's strings, and now what the hell is up with the Tattoo? It's very tantalising stuff.

Carey also introduces a couple of new characters, such as Richard Savoy, Tom's cellmate, a hulking fellow prisoner and also a gruff Prison Warden, and they seem interesting, but who knows? In this book, they could be around for the whole run, or dead next issue, like those poor Horror writers, I think it is here that Peter Gross' art helps a lot, his clear cartooning makes all the characters distinctive and interesting.

The Unwritten has shown itself to be a book full to brim of ideas, and this issue contained one of my favorites, where Lizzy Hexam, a mysterious girl who may or not be Tom Taylor's 'Hermione' is getting instructions from whoever the hell it is she's working for, and the answers appear in random books she picks up a shelf, it was just a fantastic scene, and it also enhances the mystery and strength of story in this world. I must add that throughout the book there is a sense of humour, the Swiss judge palming off the case to France, the character of Savoy, The Unwritten doesn't take itself too seriously, and that's a good thing.

This issue also continues the use of epistolic material, Carey and Gross tell the story not just in panels and wordballons, but also full a whole spread of websites discussing the events, and it's really fun, Carey perfectly gets the voice of online help gurus, or internet trolls down pat (maybe he visited here for reference?) and it's an inventive idea more comics should try. This is even integrated with the regular comic structure, where much of the issue is narrated by a Blogger called 'Inside Man' (hey, that's the title of the arc! It's a double meaning, this guy, and Tom being inside prison, more subtle cleverness).

This was another fantastic chapter in the ongoing storyline, it kept things moving at a brisk pace, added more the the mystery pot, and introduced some potentially great new characters, and that last page shows that even the flashbacks and quotes in this book... they matter. This is 2 creators at the top of their game, telling an intelligent, but not pretentious great yarn, which has something to say about the world, It's just as good as #1. if not better.

Art - I've already brought up Gross in the main body of the review, so I'm at risk of repeating myself, but damn, he's awesome. I've mentioned the character designs, which are brimming with wit and fun, but I should also bring up how he adjusts his style for the opening flashback, it's subtle, but there's more lines, and the colouring by Chris Chuckry is more washed out, it looked like the Bayeux Tapestry in some ways. Superb.

Best Line - 'Whoops, Butter-Fingers'

9/10

Daringd
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Daringd » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:31 pm

I switched The Unwritten to Trade so I'm gonna pass this week.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:00 pm

nice review, Punchy!

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:51 am

Boy am I glad this review wasn't deleted.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:53 am

starlord wrote:nice review, Punchy!

You paid Punchy a compliment and the site esploded.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:59 am

In case anybody missed the notification, there was a major malfunction last night, and most/all of Saturday was lost. If anybody posted a review Saturday afternoon, it is gone.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:46 pm

Old Man wrote:You paid Punchy a compliment and the site esploded.

and really, I was just trying to get into his pants. My bad. :( ;-)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand