Advertisement

Review Group Week 192 - THE UNWRITTEN #6

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:36 pm

The Unwritten #6
This issue is takes place after the conclusion of the the first story arc and after reading you get more questions and not too many answers. A lot of this book is shrouded in mystery such as where the hell did Frankenstein come from? Who is Lizzie communicating to through books? And what is her agenda? I know it has been said by others and I am just echoing the sentiment but this really does feel like the beginning of a truly classic comic book series and this issue is setting things up I cannot wait to find out. The art is beautiful, flashy... no, but Gross draws facial expressions perfectly and you can really see how the characters are feeling... and the coloring is outstanding, the prison scenes are dark and gritty and then you turn to the warden reading to his children and it is warm and colorful.

Things I liked:
-The communicating via reading books by Lizzie in the library was fun to see.
-The judge extraditing Tom to the French gave me a chuckle.
-Frankenstein and the winged cat at the end has me excited for the next ish.

Things I did not like:
-The whole scene with the plastic fork seemed forced, like that big motherfucker would back down to a plastic fork?

STORY - 9

ART - 9

OVERALL - 9

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 236 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:04 pm

wtf is going on? where'd my review and other posts go from page 4?

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:28 pm

starlord wrote:and really, I was just trying to get into his pants. My bad. :( ;-)

Maybe Punchy esploded. :shock:
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:30 pm

doombug wrote:wtf is going on? where'd my review and other posts go from page 4?

There was a glitch in the system, and most of Saturday got lost.

Either that or Punchy...

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:02 pm

doombug wrote:wtf is going on? where'd my review and other posts go from page 4?

http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/view ... hp?t=30658

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:54 pm

No on time review this week

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 110 posts

Postby PDH » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:38 pm

Unwritten #6 – Tommy Taylor and the Sixth Issue...of DEATH!

In the sixth issue of Mike Carey's metatextual suspense story, Tommy Taylor's quasi-fictional life takes a turn down mind-fuck road as he finds himself wrongfully imprisoned for a killing spree perpetuated by the nefarious Pullman in issue four. It's a lie but in Tommy Taylor's world, truth and fiction are equally deadly.

Which makes me wonder...does the Tommy Taylor world have slash fiction? There are, after all, approximately one squillion stories written by excessively moist female Harry Potter fans on the internet in which virtually every conceivable pairing of male characters from the series indulge in unspeakable acts with each other. As Tommy Taylor's story continues to resemble the fiction on which he may or may not have been based, what happens when the slash fiction version of Draco Malfoy or Professor Snape shows up to forcibly re-enact the feverish diddling fantasies of hormonal thirteen years olds? That could get seriously awkward.

Anyway, this issue was fantastic. It's a risk telling a mystery in a serialised medium, especially if that medium is the perennially cancellation-happy medium of comic books where selling three copies of Super Boobs to an ever dwindling audience of forty year olds is considered a financial success and the mystery isn't fortunate enough to involve Wolverine in some capacity. It's like sticking your head into a guillotine and then thinking, 'Hey, this might be a good time to write my memoirs.' That and fans are increasingly impatient with the whole concept of mysteries, largely preferring to follow their favourite stories through spoilers weeks in advance of publication. Six issues in and Carey is still piling on the WTF, with little respite of clarification and that's refreshing. Blurting out all the plot developments, twists and surprises in the first issue is the equivalent of cumming on a girl's face five seconds after meeting her for the first time and then asking her to marry you.

The downside to this is that jumping straight in at this point is like trying to follow the German language version of TV series Lost in reverse order while the director's commentary to the TV series Fringe is played over the soundtrack at double speed. If you haven't been reading from the start, you're basically fucked, so I dunno, maybe you could try playing Swingball instead? That can be fun sometimes.

For the rest of us, though, this is an ever more rewarding read with each new issue. It's a pity we weren't able to review the last issue because that could actually have stood on its own terms fairly well and this is clearly chapter six in an ambitiously novelistic series. I know, I hate the word 'novelistic,' too. You couldn't do this series in a novel. You wouldn't have Peter Gross' wonderful art, for starters. Even though it's a book about words and literature, it would be an anaemic, emaciated shadow of its former self without the wide range of bold, articulate drawings that Gross is able to bring to the table. It's a very comic-y comic book, much as it doesn't look like anything else on the stands right now. And for once, I actually don't think it would read better in trade form. It's an extremely well paced piece of serialised fiction. Track the previous issues down and follow it properly!

Story: 9
Art: 9
Overall: 9

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:41 pm

Slash fiction has appeared in the Unwritten, the opening pages of #4 were a violent slash version of Tommy Taylor, and it's mentioned in this issue that the prosecution is proclaiming that Tom wrote that before he murdered all those other writers.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:40 pm

:? What's up with thefourthman? He hasn't been on for 3 days and his a avatar has disappeared as well.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:53 pm

House of J wrote::? What's up with thefourthman? He hasn't been on for 3 days and his a avatar has disappeared as well.

Maybe his computer crashed.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:10 pm

House of J wrote::? What's up with thefourthman? He hasn't been on for 3 days and his a avatar has disappeared as well.

It's about damn time they banned that hooligan.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:15 pm

amlah6 wrote:It's about damn time they banned that hooligan.

But I sorta liked that hooligan.

In fact, I seem to like all the hooligans here.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:24 pm

Old Man wrote:Maybe his computer crashed.

I guess, but he's usually online at work & at home. He was having a weird night on here before Saturday was Imaginova'd out of existence, but so were a lot of people. I hope he knows that one thread is gone forever, and he has no cause to never log on here again. Only a few of us were online at the time, and it was gone so quickly. I figured he might have found Media Layer's IRL headquarters and sabotaged the hard drive himself. Maybe the bio-electric feedback when he took out the ML Supreme Untelligence was too much for him to handle--what if he gave his life to ensure that thread would never be seen by the world at large? :shock:
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 pm

amlah6 wrote:It's about damn time they banned that hooligan.

You only say that because he was a self-professed Nazi.

He had all but recruited oogyboy Saturday before all was lost in the inter-ether.

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 110 posts

Postby PDH » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:29 pm

Punchy wrote:Slash fiction has appeared in the Unwritten, the opening pages of #4 were a violent slash version of Tommy Taylor, and it's mentioned in this issue that the prosecution is proclaiming that Tom wrote that before he murdered all those other writers.

Wow, completely missed that. This is definitely a book you can read through a few times and still pick stuff up.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand